• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey i Love all your posts <3

Aww thank you :blush:
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'm also a single Mom, but I have 6 kids ages 4 to 16. You absolutely have time to weigh and log your food. It literally adds 2 minutes onto meals. There is an entire YouTube series on Baby/Mom exercises that my Babies loved! It's just a game for them. Congrats on the baby!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Logging accurately & honestly is one way to make sure you're eating at a deficit but it is not the only way. PEople lost weight before calorie counting was a thing. You just have to cut back somewhere.

Looking at your typical day a few things come to mind.
    1. Bananas vary in size. Perhaps cut back to 1/2 banana per smoothie This could save 45-65 calories per smoothie.
    2. Avocados are high in calories. They are not bad, but using 1/4 avocado per salad could save you about 75 calories. Depending on the size of the avocado of course!
    3. Homemade dressings are great, but no way for us to guess the caloric content. Think about what goes in them to determine if you could/should lessen the calories.

It would certainly not hurt to try to log your calories for a typical day to get an honest idea of where you are starting from. If you've ruled out medical reasons - such as thyroid imbalance - then eating less should result in weight loss.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I logged my food yesterday and the day before. Yesterday was 900 calories and the day before was 1000. How many calories should I be eating to lose weight? I was told anything under 1600. I don't believe I eat over 1600 calories. When I was recording my daily food intake, I was always around 1000. I'll try to record my food for the week and hope this helps.

ARe you using a food scale? If not its easy to eat larger servings yet assume they are small ones. Your 2 bananas and 1/2 avocado are easily 350 calories.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    @RedheadedPrincess14 -- That is absolutely not true, insulin levels do not cause fat storage on the body, insulin is NEEDED for the body, it increases in normal healthy people to keep sugar from sticking to red blood cells, which is what is actually harmful, not increased insulin, Fat is also important in diets, especially good dietary fats, it also helps people remain more satiated as they learn to stick with a deficit. People do not need to go vegan, that is a life choice people make for ethical reasons, if they don't have any issues eating meat or products that come from animals they can eat them and still lose weight just fine
    There are so many health reasons to eat a plant based diet. She's already vegan. I'm not trying to convert anyone. And yes, medical professionals have made it very clear that smoothies are NOT favourable for weight loss. It is easy to take in a lot more liquid calories than it is to eat all the food in a smoothie. It also makes you hungrier because of how quickly your blood sugar raises and then drops. Of course, you can lose weight with smoothies if you are tracking but she clearly stated that she does not have time to track. The reason that someone who does not track should be careful with fats is that it is higher in calories and can lead to eating more than you need. I did not say no fat- I said low fat. Most people drink smoothies way too quickly and don't end up full off them. I can link you a bunch of peer reviewed studies on smoothies if you want.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    @RedheadedPrincess14 -- That is absolutely not true, insulin levels do not cause fat storage on the body, insulin is NEEDED for the body, it increases in normal healthy people to keep sugar from sticking to red blood cells, which is what is actually harmful, not increased insulin, Fat is also important in diets, especially good dietary fats, it also helps people remain more satiated as they learn to stick with a deficit. People do not need to go vegan, that is a life choice people make for ethical reasons, if they don't have any issues eating meat or products that come from animals they can eat them and still lose weight just fine

Haha, preach, I'm down 50lbs with plenty of pasta, meat, pizza and alcohol! It's how much we consume, not what we consume (although I do advocate for moderation rather than just junk all the time)
    Yes, because you are tracking calories. You can lose weight on a Twinkie diet with tracking. She clearly stated that she is not tracking all her food so it is best for her to eat more calorically dilute, nutritionally dense food that will fill her up. It's a suggestion for a new mom who doesn't want to track. If a smoothie is filling for you, fine, but for a lot of people, it can cause binges later on.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Even with a thyroid problem, most people can lose weight on 900 to 1000 calories per day especially with OP's stats. Maybe the OP can consider a thyroid issue as a possibility once they actually log properly because, like many others, I'm fairly confident that is where their issue lies. This thyroid thing that gets jumped on so easily is exactly why magazines like Woman's World have stuff like "How to reset your thyroid in 10 days!" on the cover. It's so much easier to say it's a medical condition than to accept "healthy eating or not, you're eating at a caloric surplus".
  • vanmlller
    vanmlller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out dr Ludwigs book always hungry....or eat fat get thin by Dr Hyman ... not allcalories are the same ..the book will help you to loose weight safely and explains why we put on weight and how to loose it ..
  • sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How do I open my diary? I was following a LCHF diet for a few months, that was the time I was recording what I was eating. I stopped because I became really sick after after around 2 months. I needed the carbs. I lost 20 lbs and gained it back. I'm not 100 lbs over weight. That's just how much I gained during pregnancy. I'm approx. 60 lbs over a healthy weight according to BMI.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    There are so many health reasons to eat a plant based diet. She's already vegan. I'm not trying to convert anyone. And yes, medical professionals have made it very clear that smoothies are NOT favourable for weight loss. It is easy to take in a lot more liquid calories than it is to eat all the food in a smoothie. It also makes you hungrier because of how quickly your blood sugar raises and then drops. Of course, you can lose weight with smoothies if you are tracking but she clearly stated that she does not have time to track. The reason that someone who does not track should be careful with fats is that it is higher in calories and can lead to eating more than you need. I did not say no fat- I said low fat. Most people drink smoothies way too quickly and don't end up full off them. I can link you a bunch of peer reviewed studies on smoothies if you want.

... there is a study for everything i swear... lol
    But no, i don't need studies on smoothies.. i find your posts tend to not come off the first time in the intent you seem to want them to be. Your post above is clearly saying caloric density can be an issue for someone not tracking, this is true. But based on your last post, that is not the message it gave out.

Smoothies however are personal preference, lots of people love them and can manage their weight and hunger with them so if the OP took the time to log the calories and didn't have hunger issues the smoothies really wouldn't be a problem, the over all issue with the OP is her simple lack of logging, all other dietary formalities are up to her and for her to figure out if they work for her or not
    I was speaking directly to the OP and her situation. I'm not starting a threat to give general advice to everyone. If she doesn't want to track, eating those foods in whole form instead of as smoothies may be a better idea. Since she is vegan I gave her some recommendations to vegan diets that will work without tracking. I think I worded my advice to /her/ exactly as I intended it. For people who track, they already know that if you stay under your calories, you will lose
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    Goosfraba
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I logged my food yesterday and the day before. Yesterday was 900 calories and the day before was 1000. How many calories should I be eating to lose weight? I was told anything under 1600. I don't believe I eat over 1600 calories. When I was recording my daily food intake, I was always around 1000. I'll try to record my food for the week and hope this helps.

If you are breastfeeding, that is far too low, really dangerously low I think. Are you weighing your food?
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    I eat very healthy, exercise as often as I can and still can't seem to lose weight.

I don't have time to record what I eat everyday, weighing and measuring like I used to. I figure since I eat healthy it should be fine.

Clearly it isn't. You are not recording/measuring what you eat, so it appears that you are consuming more than you realize.
    Any suggestions/tips/advice on how I can lose weight or get more exercise in would be great.

Start weighing and logging every single thing that you put into your mouth.

That's probably the most helpful suggestion. Thanks :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to weigh and log your food, you can always cut your portions down some more.

Plenty of people lose without weighing and logging but it's trial and error.

• AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Step 1: Figure out exactly how many calories you are eating.
    Step 2: Figure out exactly how many calories you should be eating.
    Step 3: Eat that many calories.

Eating "healthy" or "unhealthy" is mostly irrelevant to weight loss.

Why do people say this such incredible statements. Eating healthy has everything to do with it. If you eat a diet high in sugar your body will find it much harder to burn fat.