Eating healthy, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby? (Sorry if you already answered)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Actually, no. Eating healthy can help with satiety, but eating at a deficit is going to take the weight off, even if you eat your calories with nothing but cotton candy and Twinkies. Not recommending you do, as that way lies malnutrition, but the weight is still going to come off.
  • kq1981
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh congratulations:-)
    Cld u possibly log everything while he naps or when you put him down of a night? I log of a night when my girls are in bed for the next day usually. I just started weighing foods and it takes 2 minutes :smile:
  • sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Cld u possibly log everything while he naps or when you put him down of a night? I log of a night when my girls are in bed for the next day usually. I just started weighing foods and it takes 2 minutes :smile:

I lay with him during his naps, he won't sleep otherwise. I'm going to try to log once he's down for the night. But the weight wouldn't be correct. I suppose measuring in cups would be best.
  • kq1981
    Options

I lay with him during his naps, he won't sleep otherwise. I'm going to try to log once he's down for the night. But the weight wouldn't be correct. I suppose measuring in cups would be best.

Oh:-( maybe you could try to teach him mum can't lay there all the time while he's still a baby. I had to do that with my second otherwise I'd never get anything done. it was hard though but I persisted.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Oh:-( maybe you could try to teach him mum can't lay there all the time while he's still a baby. I had to do that with my second otherwise I'd never get anything done. it was hard though but I persisted.

I had this problem with my second also and trust me the lpnger you wait the harder it is to change the habit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

measuring cups are not accurate either, I learned that the hard way.measuring cups for liquids are fine. I weighed everything in cups in the past and was eating more calories than I thought,gained half the weight I lost back.once you start logging and have a database of foods you eat it becomes easier and faster to log,weighing is the same. it takes little to no time to weigh foods.if you have to weigh foods,keep a notepad close by and write down the weights and then log it later. that way you can do things you need to do in the mean time.
  • KayCeeRein
    KayCeeRein Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you taking B vitamins to support your metabolism since you are vegan? You absolutely must take a B vitamin supplement, since your body does not create B vitamins, and they are only found in animal products. Also, consider the nuts etc; I'd have to look at your recipes in detail, but I'd be very surprised if they truely were under 1000 calories.
  • KayCeeRein
    Options
    Edit: I plugged your smoothie in. You are definately consuming more than 900 - 1000 calories a day. One smoothie alone is 350 - 375 calories depending on the size of the banana.
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    I don't mind staying with him while he sleeps, he finds comfort in it and I like being off my feet for a bit. I think he'll stop wanting me to lie with him when he no longer needs it. And if thats not the case, then so be it.

I'll do the note pad suggestion. That's easier than whipping my phone out and searching for the food. I find that this app had a lot of varying nutritional value for foods, I'm never sure what to go with... I often spend a lot of time checking different sources to find the most accurate facts. I've still not been able to find accurate nutrition facts for homemade almond milk or the pulp left over, it varies greatly.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I don't mind staying with him while he sleeps, he finds comfort in it and I like being off my feet for a bit. I think he'll stop wanting me to lie with him when he no longer needs it. And if thats not the case, then so be it.

I'll do the note pad suggestion. That's easier than whipping my phone out and searching for the food. I find that this app had a lot of varying nutritional value for foods, I'm never sure what to go with... I often spend a lot of time checking different sources to find the most accurate facts. I've still not been able to find accurate nutrition facts for homemade almond milk or the pulp left over, it varies greatly.

for the milk you can weigh the almonds and all the ingredients separately,weigh it and separate anything thats left over(aka not used) weigh again and then write it down and plug it into the recipe builder. that way you have your own recipe with the calories and nutrition info.as for foods in the database,you can cross reference with food packaging or the USDA(if in the us). you can then choose the correct entry/edit the entry or make your own.
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    BalletNot wrote: »
    Are you taking B vitamins to support your metabolism since you are vegan? You absolutely must take a B vitamin supplement, since your body does not create B vitamins, and they are only found in animal products. Also, consider the nuts etc; I'd have to look at your recipes in detail, but I'd be very surprised if they truely were under 1000 calories.

I take prenatal vitamins along with B12 and iron. Though my blood work has never come back in lacking of any vitamins. My almomd milk is 1:8 ratio, then I continue to add water to the pulp and milk it until I have barely any pulp left. It's not an exact science due to the process of remilking. My cashew dressing is 1/2 c cashews, 1/2 pk soft tofu (5 oz), 1 c water, garlic, lemon, and seasoning.
  • KayCeeRein
    Options
    Hey, you can disagree if you want on how I calculated the calories - that is 100 percent up to you. However, keep in mind the less "pulp" left, the more ground up almonds are actually in your milk. I know when I was routinely drinking smoothies with homemade almond milk, mine were around 450, so you're still low for a smoothie. The thing is, if you were calculating correctly, and if you were eating 1000 a day, you would be losing weight.

Also, good on you laying down with your babe. <3 my little guy is 3 months and his sister 3.5 years. She is "too grown up" for mum in bed, enjoy those baby snuggles while they last xo
  • sodaceratops
    Options

for the milk you can weigh the almonds and all the ingredients separately,weigh it and separate anything thats left over(aka not used) weigh again and then write it down and plug it into the recipe builder. that way you have your own recipe with the calories and nutrition info.as for foods in the database,you can cross reference with food packaging or the USDA(if in the us). you can then choose the correct entry/edit the entry or make your own.

From what I've read online, there's no accurate statements on what goes into the almond milk, such as how much of the fat, carbs, and protein is left in the milk and how much is left in the pulp. I can only assume that most of the fat is retained in the milk and most of the carbs are left in the pulp. As for protein, I have no idea where most of it would end up. To go by your suggestion, weighing it all and weighing what's left, I'd have to take into account the soaking process (how much the almonds weigh when dry and how much they weigh after soaking) as well as the fact that the macros in the pulp would not be the same as dry regular almonds. I would have to dry the pulp to weigh just what's left minus any water retained in the pulp.

It's quite a bit of effort and time that I don't have amd knowledge that I'd don't have. I was never good at science.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I take prenatal vitamins along with B12 and iron. Though my blood work has never come back in lacking of any vitamins. My almomd milk is 1:8 ratio, then I continue to add water to the pulp and milk it until I have barely any pulp left. It's not an exact science due to the process of remilking. My cashew dressing is 1/2 c cashews, 1/2 pk soft tofu (5 oz), 1 c water, garlic, lemon, and seasoning.

How many servings is your dressing because a half cup of cashews is already 300+ calories.
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    Hey, you can disagree if you want on how I calculated the calories - that is 100 percent up to you. However, keep in mind the less "pulp" left, the more ground up almonds are actually in your milk. I know when I was routinely drinking smoothies with homemade almond milk, mine were around 450, so you're still low for a smoothie. The thing is, if you were calculating correctly, and if you were eating 1000 a day, you would be losing weight.

Also, good on you laying down with your babe. <3 my little guy is 3 months and his sister 3.5 years. She is "too grown up" for mum in bed, enjoy those baby snuggles while they last xo

Yeah, I'm definitely doing something wrong with my calculations. I'd like to have more accurate nutrition facts for the foods I consume, but alas. I'd like to just go by what's in the app but say my almond milk is 100 calories less or more per cup than what is stated on here, I'd be drinking 400 calories less more than wanted. Neither would be good. If only store bought almond milk didn't contain so many additions... it makes my mouth feel like slime.

Babies are great, aren't they! <3
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    just being logical here, but doesn't it make MOST sense to eat healthy AND eat at a deficit? Having a fit HEALTHY body is important.
  • KayCeeRein
    Options
    I also forgot to ask if you have had your thyroid tested?

And I agree about the slime feeling - once you stop eating "weird" foods, you notice a lot more things. I've really relaxed what I eat so now I don't notice it the same. Though I am not sure that is good!