The over-the -age-50-belly bulge

Options
124»

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Somebody just kill me now. ;) I wasn't aware of this so I'm guessing this increased energy I've been having since my 60 pound weight loss has all been in my head. I think I'll just get back on the couch and nurse my shot metabolism. :p I'm in better shape now than I've been in past 30 years, both physically and mentally. I challenge myself daily to improve and it's working. I'm 63 and will be climbing the Grand Teton this summer with my 45 year old son who also doesn't know he's on the road to having a shot metabolism. I'm not going to tell him either!

Sounds like you are having a blast!! ;)

Nah. With his metabolism being shot he's just going to have no fun and be completely miserable being outside, climbing mountains and *kitten*. Same for me. I will be 52 and I plan to be 220-230 by summer and get towed behind a boat in one of those big parachute things. I'm going to hate it because my metabolism is as shot as it was at 330 lbs last summer. It is going to really suck to golf more and bike more as well.

And I hate that he's going to lie to his 45 yr old son as well.

I forgot to mention my trip to Maui in May where I plan to hike a couple of those volcano things and go snorkeling for the first time ever. I just hope with my shot metabolism I don't become fish food for bottom feeders. I even get to buy a new swim suit, something I haven't done in 30+ years because....fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The calorie deficit and of course exercise makes sense but when you are over 50 the metabolism is shot. I walk, bike and canoe but nothing changes. Ive added 8lb dumbbells to my routine to start. I agree weight lifting is needed when you get older so hopefully the dumbbells will help. I'm not fat but its irritating when all the effort shows no change. At least I'm staying the same. I look 10 years younger than my age, so I'm told, so doing something right. Thankful to be healthy. Loosing some fat would be a bonus. :o)

Tell that to my 77 year old mum, she's a little power rocket and has more oomph and motivation than i do! Every now and then she gets what she calls a "bread belly", she eats a lot of bread with inch thick butter and cheese on it, then follows that up with 2 more slices with the same amount of butter and lashings of jam (jelly), she does this sometimes multiple times a day in between her regular meals. When she wants to lose her gut she simply cuts back on the bread and toppings, and boom she goes back to having a flat stomach again.

@tammyannwebb Don't give up just yet and do NOT use excuses just because you're over that magical 50 mark..
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Somebody just kill me now. ;) I wasn't aware of this so I'm guessing this increased energy I've been having since my 60 pound weight loss has all been in my head. I think I'll just get back on the couch and nurse my shot metabolism. :p I'm in better shape now than I've been in past 30 years, both physically and mentally. I challenge myself daily to improve and it's working. I'm 63 and will be climbing the Grand Teton this summer with my 45 year old son who also doesn't know he's on the road to having a shot metabolism. I'm not going to tell him either!

Sounds like you are having a blast!! ;)

Nah. With his metabolism being shot he's just going to have no fun and be completely miserable being outside, climbing mountains and *kitten*. Same for me. I will be 52 and I plan to be 220-230 by summer and get towed behind a boat in one of those big parachute things. I'm going to hate it because my metabolism is as shot as it was at 330 lbs last summer. It is going to really suck to golf more and bike more as well.

And I hate that he's going to lie to his 45 yr old son as well.

Ummm...I'm a girl. ;)

Well, there's your problem.....

(sorry)
  • tammyannwebb
    tammyannwebb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 Good going mum. thanks All great discussions. Hope for the over 50's.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm shrinking mine! For the first time in my life, at 57 there it is (along with hypothyroidism). Ugh! It's a strict Mediterranean diet with not a scrap of refined grain and not a speck of sugar! The pita stayed on my plate last night and I ate the veggie kabobs and Greek salad and small hummus and drank water. I'm also exercising myself sore. I'm shrinking, and the belly is shrinking. I'm going to be old, but not with a stick - out belly!
  • tammyannwebb
    tammyannwebb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go to hear. Guess I need to step up the exercising. My problem too is that I don't cook so food has to be microwavable or out of a bag or pick-up.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that by changing the foods I eat to be lower carb my stomach has come down much faster than the rest of me. That however is because of the bloating that bread and pasta causes in me.