Master Cleanse

Options
13»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I did. Doctor approved for a colonoscopy, only for a day.

I got a nice nap afterwards. Why anyone would do this for 10 days when it's not a medical necessity is beyond me.

lol. I was the last patient of the day and argued with the nurse when she tried to get me up to get dressed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

I got a nice nap afterwards. Why anyone would do this for 10 days when it's not a medical necessity is beyond me.

lol. I was the last patient of the day and argued with the nurse when she tried to get me up to get dressed.

had mine a couple of weeks ago. I was ready to get up and out of there ASAP so I could EAT.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Fasting is one thing but abusing laxatives is another. I would never ever recommend a diet that pushes drinking senna.

The use of a single nightly cup of senna tea, for 11 days, is only intended to aid the action of peristalsis in the absence of solid food and fiber, and does not, in my opinion, constitute abuse.

Deliberately putting your body into peristalsis to where you need a laxative is never a good idea.

Neither is drinking salt water.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Fasting is one thing but abusing laxatives is another. I would never ever recommend a diet that pushes drinking senna.

The use of a single nightly cup of senna tea, for 11 days, is only intended to aid the action of peristalsis in the absence of solid food and fiber, and does not, in my opinion, constitute abuse.

Deliberately putting your body into peristalsis to where you need a laxative is never a good idea.

True. Gargling on the other hand . . . (at least when you have a sore throat)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

had mine a couple of weeks ago. I was ready to get up and out of there ASAP so I could EAT.

I wanted to go to a restaurant serving a big breakfast. I wanted bacon, eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy with pancakes, waffles and sausage! With a pile of butter and a jug of syrup.

DW was a little intimidated by all of that and took me home. I think I pouted the rest of the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how Master Cleanse = fasting. I ran the calories (out of curiosity) and 10 cups of the normal formula (2 TBSP of maple syrup and lemon juice per cup) is about 1100 calories. Crazy low if you are over 300 lbs, yeah (I did 1250 when I started and was often under, though, although that was ignorance and I wouldn't recommend being under as I was -- what it wasn't was fasting or combined with a laxative).

More significantly, the sugar in the Master Cleanse was WAY higher than what I get on a normal day, so beats me how you get sugar withdrawal (even if it existed). Protein and fat withdrawal, maybe.

I suspect the trick of the Master Cleanse (apart from the laxative and diarrhea inducing bits) is that it is so foul it makes you not want to eat anything.

But if you are an adult in sound mind, whatever floats your boat.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how Master Cleanse = fasting. I ran the calories (out of curiosity) and 10 cups of the normal formula (2 TBSP of maple syrup and lemon juice per cup) is about 1100 calories. Crazy low if you are over 300 lbs, yeah (I did 1250 when I started and was often under, though, although that was ignorance and I wouldn't recommend being under as I was -- what it wasn't was fasting or combined with a laxative).

More significantly, the sugar in the Master Cleanse was WAY higher than what I get on a normal day, so beats me how you get sugar withdrawal (even if it existed). Protein and fat withdrawal, maybe.

I suspect the trick of the Master Cleanse (apart from the laxative and diarrhea inducing bits) is that it is so foul it makes you not want to eat anything.

But if you are an adult in sound mind, whatever floats your boat.

It's definitely a type of fasting when you eat no solid food. I would say I fasted during labour, but I was on a glucose drip and getting adequate calories. Didn't stop me being starving hungry after the fact.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So that all Soylent diet is fasting?

Agree you might be extra hungry drinking calories vs. eating them, but I'm just wondering about the claim that was made above that Master Cleanse = beneficial based on the idea that fasting is beneficial. It's no more fasting than any other low cal diet.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

I wanted food too, but I know from prior experience that the first food after a medical fast usually makes me queasy. So sleep sounded better.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Schedule a colonoscopy instead.
    You get cleaned out quite efficiently and you get some piece of mind about colon cancer.
    And even peace of mind too :)
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Eat right, your body will rid itself of unneeded things. That's how it works.

Feed it, fill it with water, sleep and exercise...no cleanse needed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    oh dear..... no, just no.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I will weigh in on this.

First let me say that I will express my own opinion and will no doubt incur the consternation, if not the wrath, of those who insist that CICO is the ONLY watchword and that EVERYthing else is...what's the word they use?..."WOO"? Whatever...

There has been a lot of research done over the last century or so on fasting and it's effect on us, perhaps the most interesting of which is the idea that caloric restriction in the form of fasting may be a major factor in longevity. No, I'm am not going to cite any studies here; go look it up yourself.

When we were hunter-gatherers, there were lots of times when neither the hunting nor the gathering went all that well, and we ate in a boom/bust cycle that included a lot of hunger, especially in winter. There are even WOEs that are based on this kind of cycle. Again, look it up yourself.

In 2012, I was at the heaviest weight I have ever been, 323 pounds, and I was miserable. My eating was out of control and I was well on my way to any number of disastrous health issues. Here's what I did:

I started in the last week of June (Spring and Summer are YANG seasons; once again, look it up). I bought the book 'The Master Cleanse' by Stanley Burroughs (SBN-13: 9781607966074), and READ IT. If you decide to do this cleanse, please read this book along with anything else you reference.

I did the RECOMMENDED 10-day Master Cleanse. Here's how it went:

Day 0 - evening drink a cup of senna tea before bed
    Day 1 - all day drink lemonade as much as I wanted; evening drink a cup of senna tea before bed; felt hungry but not awful
    Days 2 thru 5 - morning drink a liter of warm salt water, then flush for 30-60 minutes; drink lemonade as much as I wanted; evening drink a cup of senna tea before bed; these were pretty rough days as I withdrew from caffeine, nicotine and sugar...Days 3 and 4, thought I was gonna die! Day 5 felt better...
    Days 6 thru 10 - same regimen as Days 2 thru 5, but felt awesome! No real hunger to speak of, and a sense of lightness both in my digestive system as well as my mental clarity...amazing.

Days 2 thru 5 were slightly challenging insofar as the salt water flush tied me up for about an hour each morning, but after that it was through me in 15 or 20 minutes and I could function normally. I will confess that I did not work during this; I took 7 or 8 vacation days, which certainly made it easier. Not sure anyone would want to do this and try to maintain a normal work schedule. The commute might prove to be an issue!

On Day 11 I began the reintroduction of solid food in a slow and methodical way, beginning with citrus fruits and progressively adding other fruits and vegetables back into my diet. I remained completely vegan until mid-September, when I reintroduced eggs. I did not resume eating meat again until Thanksgiving dinner, when I had a small portion of turkey. Thereafter I slowly resumed meat-eating again. I continued to follow what was essentially a hybrid of Atkins, Paleo and LCHF...a wide variety of meat, including wild game, fruits and vegetables, mainly seasonal and raw, and nuts and seeds. My one concession was a minimal amount of dairy in the form of heavy cream in my coffee and an occasional slice of artisanal cheese, usually buffalo, goat or sheep.

I lost a total of 75 pounds, down to 248, by the end of 2013.

To OP: I hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like, and you can ask me anything. That goes for anyone else, too.

What I will NOT do is engage in debate over the efficacy or detriment of fasting, or any other WOE, for that matter. I do me, you do you. Best and good luck to all...

That's great you lost a lot of weight, but I can guarantee you lost a whole lot of lean muscle mass as well. That is never good. However, you did not lose weight (and muscle mass) due to the cleanse, but because you ate at a calorie deficit, and one that was way too extreme.

ETA: there is nothing at all wrong with fasting when done properly and you get all your allocated calories in. But, detoxes and cleanses? Nope.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Oh, oh oh!! Am I the first to get to tell the story about the guy who posted on here after doing the Master Cleanse and waking up in the middle of the night uncontrollably spraying himself, his bed and his girlfriend with liquid feces?? coz that's one of my favourite stories!

....I was eating.

So if it made you quit eating we now have another miraculous, quick weight loss idea! Run this as a visual in your head non-stop for 14 days......
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse is popular with alcoholics trying to quit drinking because the high sugar content helps with the down-slope of withdrawal (alcohol has a lot of sugar in it). 30 days on the Master Cleanse seems to help some people quit drinking. I have done the Master Cleanse for a weekend and it was okay; it's not something I would do again. I personally found that juicing fruits and vegetables and herbs a was much more effective detox for me.

Let me hear you tell this to any recovering alcoholic and they will call your bluff. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, and I am a regular in the recovery community.
    What are your goals for a cleanse? Depending on your situation there are other options - colonics at wellness boutiques, followed by a juice fast and or "blended meals"; juice fast and or "blended meals" without the colonics; or just doing something like "meal replacement" shakes (like slim fast or make your own). Are you looking to lose weight? (Have you thought about sauna treatments?) Get rid of sludge in your intestines? (What about adding more fiber?) Heal the cilia in the intestines? (What about the low FODMAP diet?) Jump start your diet? (What about going paleo, low carb / low sugar?) Answer those questions and people may be able to provide you better guidance.

No. Just no. Cleanses are 100% not necessary. People in this thread who say, essentially, that cleanses are a waste of time and money because they don't work ARE giving excellent guidance. ;)

Thank you. I cannot imagine trying to detox and doing a stupid cleanse! Why would anybody make he!! worse?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse is popular with alcoholics trying to quit drinking because the high sugar content helps with the down-slope of withdrawal (alcohol has a lot of sugar in it). 30 days on the Master Cleanse seems to help some people quit drinking. I have done the Master Cleanse for a weekend and it was okay; it's not something I would do again. I personally found that juicing fruits and vegetables and herbs a was much more effective detox for me.

Let me hear you tell this to any recovering alcoholic and they will call your bluff. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, and I am a regular in the recovery community.
    What are your goals for a cleanse? Depending on your situation there are other options - colonics at wellness boutiques, followed by a juice fast and or "blended meals"; juice fast and or "blended meals" without the colonics; or just doing something like "meal replacement" shakes (like slim fast or make your own). Are you looking to lose weight? (Have you thought about sauna treatments?) Get rid of sludge in your intestines? (What about adding more fiber?) Heal the cilia in the intestines? (What about the low FODMAP diet?) Jump start your diet? (What about going paleo, low carb / low sugar?) Answer those questions and people may be able to provide you better guidance.

No. Just no. Cleanses are 100% not necessary. People in this thread who say, essentially, that cleanses are a waste of time and money because they don't work ARE giving excellent guidance. ;)

Thank you. I cannot imagine trying to detox and doing a stupid cleanse! Why would anybody make he!! worse?

That's actually a fair question. In my experience a lot of people think that their weight loss has to be punitive to be effective. "If this tastes awful it must be doing something good!" The worse it tastes, the more it works. :(
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Yeah. I was gonna say, a liter of salt water for 9 days straight? You're lucky to be alive. Even with the so-called "flushing."