Not losing on 1600 calories/day

Options
Allegi32
Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all...I've been a member for a long time, but sporadic user. When I lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago, it was from eating right around 1600 calories/day and doing the same workouts I'm doing again now.

But for some reason, my body is NOT wanting to let go of this weight. I have about 80 pounds to lose in total, so it's not like the scale shouldn't be moving. I also take measurements and photos. While I FEEL better, stronger, etc., I'm frustrated at the lack of progress on the inches and pounds front.

So this is what I'm doing:
- 1600 calories/day
- Working out 7 days/week. I do T25, so that's 25 minutes of full body cardio/interval training type thing. One day/week, I do doubles of T25. I also teach a 1 hour Zumba class 1/week.
- Wearing my heart rate monitor, I'm burning about 250-350 calories per T25 session and about 700-900 calories per hour of Zumba (my classes are super high intensity)
- Trying to maintain ratio of 40/30/30 and I've cut out bread and pasta except for brown rice pasta occasionally. Most of my carbs come from sweet potato and oatmeal.
- I eat very "clean" - lots of veggies, lean proteins like chicken breast, eggs, cottage cheese, small amounts of fruits.
- I weigh/measure literally everything that goes in my mouth, so I know for a fact that my calories are correct.

My doctor said that obviously something is going on, but that there are no tests to run to see why I'm not losing. I do have a thyroid issue, but I've been on medication for about 10 years and my levels are all stable. And since i've lost in the past, I know that I CAN lose.

Should I up my calories? Am I not eating enough? I'm confused because I understand that my body needs a certain amount of calories, but at the same time, eating fewer calories than I burn on a given day should result in a weight loss. And yet...here I am.

Input/opinions welcome...thank you!!

***ETA:
1) I know that no HR monitor can accurately measure calories burned. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I put that in there to basically show the intensity of my workouts and that I'm working my *kitten* off.
2) I started back at this a little over a month ago.

Replies

• charlenekemp07
    charlenekemp07 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No advice. But I'm in the same boat. So curious to see comments
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    You state that you're confident in your calories in and so, assuming that your weight loss goal is reasonable, the place to look is your calories expended.

Your using a HRM and state that your exercise regime is high intensity but still I'd be thinking hard about how accurate those figures were and whether or not that is where the error is coming in.

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    No device can give us accurate calorie burn it's going in general information
    As we age we need less calories
    Are you near menopause any medication change
    Are you weighing measuring everything
    Are you logging everything honestly any odd thing picked at eaten like sugar sauces ?

I know 2 years ago I'd lose weight on 1500 calories with same exercise level but now it's 1400 age have been very ill inbetween then and now plus I'm in my late 40s

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    net or gross 1600 cals?

how long have you not lost weight for?
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Elite Olympic athletes competing in events that take a bit of time (but not necessarily endurance) burn between ~800 and ~1300 calories per hour during their races. I think your exercise estimates may be a bit ambitious, especially for Zumba.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    No you shouldn't increase your calories. If you're not losing weight now, you won't with more calories. You haven't mentioned how long it has been since you've started this up. If it's only been a few weeks you could be retaining water.

I've heard that sometimes if people are expending a lot of calories, sometimes their body likes more in order to burn more, so that's why I was considering it. I've been at this over a month now.
    You state that you're confident in your calories in and so, assuming that your weight loss goal is reasonable, the place to look is your calories expended.

Your using a HRM and state that your exercise regime is high intensity but still I'd be thinking hard about how accurate those figures were and whether or not that is where the error is coming in.

Yes, but that's also why I don't eat back my exercise calories. Even without exercise, my basal metabolic rate is higher than 1600 so I should be losing. I wanted people to know how much exercise I'm doing to show that I'm working my *kitten* off, LOL.
    It seems high to me.. your Zumba burn

LOL, I know. But when you weigh what I weigh you burn a LOT more. And my Zumba classes aren't normal Zumba classes. But that's why I don't eat back my calories either. I don't trust the numbers 100%. More like a guideline.
    size102b wrote: »
    No device can give us accurate calorie burn it's going in general information
    As we age we need less calories
    Are you near menopause any medication change
    Are you weighing measuring everything
    Are you logging everything honestly any odd thing picked at eaten like sugar sauces ?

I know 2 years ago I'd lose weight on 1500 calories with same exercise level but now it's 1400 age have been very ill inbetween then and now plus I'm in my late 40s

Nope, I'm not near menopause and no medication changes. My doctor says I'm in excellent health. HR is about 62 on most days, blood pressure is 108/70. I'm measuring literally every single thing that goes in my mouth. Absolutely nothing goes unaccounted for. I'm a stickler for that, and a bit obsessive about it, LOL.

I'm a former athlete so I've got a good amount of muscle and I build muscle quickly. My body is set up to burn nicely, so I'm pretty frustrated that it's fighting me on this.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i only use to get aburn of 400-450 per zumba session hun,
    anyway is 1600 yo ur TDEE allowance or are you eating exercise calories back?
  • Allegi32
    Options
    net or gross 1600 cals?

how long have you not lost weight for?

Gross 1600. I eat 1600, regardless of what I burn or don't burn.

This has been going on for over a month now.
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you intaking additional calories for your fitness? If so, try cutting back on those. Your burned calories may be slotting too much additional. I have about 80 pounds to lose when I started 65 days ago and have lost 21 so far so you should be losing. The first five to ten pounds is basically water weight and should actually come off quite quickly.

Don't get frustrated though. There are simple changes that can be made. You have cut out. How is your sodium and sugar intake? There are different factors that can retaining additional weight. Send me a message if you would like or friend me. I'd love to help motivate each other. I may not be an expert but I have learned quite a bit over the last couple of months. Best of luck!
  • Allegi32
    Options
    Are you intaking additional calories for your fitness? If so, try cutting back on those. Your burned calories may be slotting too much additional. I have about 80 pounds to lose when I started 65 days ago and have lost 21 so far so you should be losing. The first five to ten pounds is basically water weight and should actually come off quite quickly.

Don't get frustrated though. There are simple changes that can be made. You have cut out. How is your sodium and sugar intake? There are different factors that can retaining additional weight. Send me a message if you would like or friend me. I'd love to help motivate each other. I may not be an expert but I have learned quite a bit over the last couple of months. Best of luck!

No, I don't eat back my exercise calories. I eat 1600, regardless of whether I exercise or not.

Sodium and sugar are pretty low because I cook all my own food and don't add anything to it.

Thank you so much for your friend offer. Sometimes I hesitate to post on here because people can get nasty to each other. I'm not about that life LOL
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ARe you logging everything, every day? You indicated sporadic MFP use.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that your "burns" are exaggerated. I weigh 210lbs, am male and even with a good intensity, wouldn't burn that much with either program in that duration of time.

Your T25 is likely in the 180 calorie range and Zumba at about 500. That's about a 600 calorie difference. If you're eating that back (500 under your TDEE will help you lose 1bs a week), you're going to gain weight/maintain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Allegi32
    Options
    How long ago did you start eating at 1600? I don't see where you indicate a time span.

Hi, sorry! It's been a little over a month now.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    How long ago did you start eating at 1600? I don't see where you indicate a time span.

Sorry, you did answer and it was in a longer post - I overlooked.

Your first post mentioned sporadic MFP use. ARe you logging everything, everyday? Using scale for ALL solid food? If so, give it another month. Water weight could be an issue even after 4 weeks.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    ARe you logging everything, every day? You indicated sporadic MFP use.

Sporadic meaning I joined a few years ago, so I didn't use it constantly, but when I'm "at it," I log everything, every day. So for the past month, I have been.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I will tell you that your "burns" are exaggerated. I weigh 210lbs, am male and even with a good intensity, wouldn't burn that much with either program in that duration of time.

Your T25 is likely in the 180 calorie range and Zumba at about 500. That's about a 600 calorie difference. If you're eating that back (500 under your TDEE will help you lose 1bs a week), you're going to gain weight/maintain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I understand that the calorie burns are not 100% accurate - which is why I don't eat back any calories at all.

My TDEE is 2411. So 500 calories under that would be 1911. If I'm eating 1600, shouldn't I be dropping weight like crazy?
  • Allegi32
    Options
    MaineMom76 wrote: »

Sorry, you did answer and it was in a longer post - I overlooked.

Your first post mentioned sporadic MFP use. ARe you logging everything, everyday? Using scale for ALL solid food? If so, give it another month. Water weight could be an issue even after 4 weeks.

No worries, replies were quick - I just updated the original post.

Yep, logging every damn thing, LOL. I have a great kitchen scale that I use and I weigh absolutely everything.

Thank you and thank you for your kind response! :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    In theory you should have lost 7 pounds assuming you have eaten 1600 / burned 2411 per day for 30 days. In reality there is bound to be some error in CICO even if you try to avoid it. So lets assume 5-6? That could be masked by water weight. Water weight from TOM/hormones/ovulation, sodium, stress, muscle repair, etc.

To be specific though, was your starting weigh in comparable to most recent weigh in? As in same scale, same level of clothing, same time of day? Has there been ANY change in then vs now?

Based on what you've said I still think time will eventually catch things up for you.