Not losing on 1600 calories/day

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Drinking more water can help. Not so much with losing fat, but flushing out some water retention from other causes. (Like high sodium intake.) I think it is reasonable to assume that the body works better, more efficiently when well hydrated. So drinking more water is a good idea. This is coming from someone who has to make an effort to drink water. Otherwise I'd take in 80+ ounces of diet soda a day. I still drink soda, but tend to have at least 48-72 ounces of water (Sometimes flavored, blueberry lemonade mio is my current kicker) by 5pm.

Trust the science behind CICO and keep going. The scale is bound to catch up soon.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    My TDEE is 1820 I eat 1400 a day anymore I don't lose weight
    A few years ago it was 2010 I ate 1500 and did loads exercise 12 high intense Zumba classes a week gym 4 days a week c25k 3 times a week 2 hours walking 6 days a week and I'd only lose 1-1.5 lbs a week

If your not losing weight in 1600 you probably are eating too many calories try eating 1500 see what happens ?

Or if you think your not eating enough try more
    It's trail and error calorie counting tbh calculators can't give us accurate TDEE BMR you need to play around with your intake to see what works
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    is your exercising consistent, as any change in intensity or frequency can result in little water retentions for muscle repair. to use the TDEE method you have to be consistent with your exercise.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    In theory you should have lost 7 pounds assuming you have eaten 1600 / burned 2411 per day for 30 days. In reality there is bound to be some error in CICO even if you try to avoid it. So lets assume 5-6? That could be masked by water weight. Water weight from TOM/hormones/ovulation, sodium, stress, muscle repair, etc.

To be specific though, was your starting weigh in comparable to most recent weigh in? As in same scale, same level of clothing, same time of day? Has there been ANY change in then vs now?

Based on what you've said I still think time will eventually catch things up for you.

I weigh naked, LOL. I have one of those scales that measures body fat percentage and weight, water weight, etc. I will say that I drink very little water every day. It's something I'm working on. But other than my workouts, I tend not to drink anything.

I basically lost about 4 pounds right off the bat (water weight) and then stalled out.

When I started back (I gained 15 lb over the past 2 years so not really a lot to lose) in early Feb, I lost 4 lbs the first 4 days. Water weight. Didn't lose anything more for at least 2 more weeks. That's normal. That initial water weight loss really throws people for a loop because it makes you think you are just slammin' the fat burn! Be patient. If you are accurate with your calories, and working as hard as you say (although yeah that zumba figure does sound high) you will see a loss, eventually.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,898 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I will tell you that your "burns" are exaggerated. I weigh 210lbs, am male and even with a good intensity, wouldn't burn that much with either program in that duration of time.

Your T25 is likely in the 180 calorie range and Zumba at about 500. That's about a 600 calorie difference. If you're eating that back (500 under your TDEE will help you lose 1bs a week), you're going to gain weight/maintain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I understand that the calorie burns are not 100% accurate - which is why I don't eat back any calories at all.

My TDEE is 2411. So 500 calories under that would be 1911. If I'm eating 1600, shouldn't I be dropping weight like crazy?
    What your your stats (height, weight, age)? You're going off a TDEE based on your perceived exercise burns.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    is your exercising consistent, as any change in intensity or frequency can result in little water retentions for muscle repair. to use the TDEE method you have to be consistent with your exercise.

Yep, I follow a program so I'm doing it every single day.
  • Allegi32
    I will tell you that your "burns" are exaggerated. I weigh 210lbs, am male and even with a good intensity, wouldn't burn that much with either program in that duration of time.

Your T25 is likely in the 180 calorie range and Zumba at about 500. That's about a 600 calorie difference. If you're eating that back (500 under your TDEE will help you lose 1bs a week), you're going to gain weight/maintain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I understand that the calorie burns are not 100% accurate - which is why I don't eat back any calories at all.

My TDEE is 2411. So 500 calories under that would be 1911. If I'm eating 1600, shouldn't I be dropping weight like crazy?
    What your your stats (height, weight, age)? You're going off a TDEE based on your perceived exercise burns.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, I did the TDEE based on a sedentary lifestyle. But I'm 5'8", 232 lbs. I'm 40 years old.
  • Allegi32
    So this was interesting. I did 2 different calculations - one with my body fat percentage and one without. Very different results. I'm not sure how accurate my scale is with the body fat percentage so that's why I didn't use it to do the calculation at first. With the second calculation, it looks like to eat 500 under my TDEE would be more like 1400. But OMG I'm always starving because I'm working out so much, I can't imagine eating 1400 LOL.

gb0sn3l03zin.png
    gst5xt12a8e0.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,898 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, I did the TDEE based on a sedentary lifestyle. But I'm 5'8", 232 lbs. I'm 40 years old.
    Based on info, your BMR is 1796. So it could be your TDEE is 2411. IF you're actually at 1600, then weight loss should happen. Give it another week or so. There could be other variables: lack of sleep, high stress, sleep apnea, or hormonal issues to address, but let's see what happens in a week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Eat less or move more.
  • Allegi32

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Based on info, your BMR is 1796. So it could be your TDEE is 2411. IF you're actually at 1600, then weight loss should happen. Give it another week or so. There could be other variables: lack of sleep, high stress, sleep apnea, or hormonal issues to address, but let's see what happens in a week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you. Did you see my post right above with the 2 different calculations based on me putting in my body fat?
  • ruthordare
    ruthordare Posts: 4 Member
    Working out 7 days a week seems like a red flag to me, especially with exercise as intense as yours seems to be- especially if you've just started this up in the last month (although I think it's worrying regardless of how long you've been exercising). Maybe this is causing your body extra stress, so it's not letting go of the weight? Releasing extra cortisol? I'm not a health professional, but I've read some articles about it- might be worth researching. I would recommend having AT LEAST one rest day per week, or trying yoga or a gentle walk one day a week in lieu of intense workouts if you can't convince yourself to take a full rest day. Your body needs time to recover in order for you to see results. Your muscles won't grow if they're constantly working!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    The only logical answer is to give it more time.

You're claiming TDEE but not using TDEE. What I mean is you're using a TDEE estimator assuming no exercise but that is not you. So forget the variables of based on body fat or not. (The bath scales are not accurate body fat estimators by the way.) And check back in 2-4 weeks.

Based on your stats, BMR and assuming your thyroid condition is under control - and assuming your logging is reasonably accurate - time is the only thing left unaccounted for. A short term lack of scale results is not sufficient data to determine something is not working.
  • Allegi32
    ruthordare wrote: »
    Working out 7 days a week seems like a red flag to me, especially with exercise as intense as yours seems to be- especially if you've just started this up in the last month (although I think it's worrying regardless of how long you've been exercising). Maybe this is causing your body extra stress, so it's not letting go of the weight? Releasing extra cortisol? I'm not a health professional, but I've read some articles about it- might be worth researching. I would recommend having AT LEAST one rest day per week, or trying yoga or a gentle walk one day a week in lieu of intense workouts if you can't convince yourself to take a full rest day. Your body needs time to recover in order for you to see results. Your muscles won't grow if they're constantly working!

I normally do try to have a rest day, but I'm going to Punta Cana in 39 days and I was trying to push for some more progress! I have been active my whole life so my body is used to doing something 7 days/week, but you might be right that I may be pushing it too far right now. Thank you for your input!
  • Allegi32
    The only logical answer is to give it more time.

You're claiming TDEE but not using TDEE. What I mean is you're using a TDEE estimator assuming no exercise but that is not you. So forget the variables of based on body fat or not. (The bath scales are not accurate body fat estimators by the way.) And check back in 2-4 weeks.

Based on your stats, BMR and assuming your thyroid condition is under control - and assuming your logging is reasonably accurate - time is the only thing left unaccounted for. A short term lack of scale results is not sufficient data to determine something is not working.

I see what you're saying. I guess it's difficult because there's no real good way to estimate my TDEE with activity.

I will try to be patient - thank you for your input!
  • donovanwoodworking
    donovanwoodworking Posts: 25 Member
    Checking your urine for ketones is a simple test that can show if you are burning fat. You should be able to get urine test strips at the drugstore or from Amazon. Here is an article from a diabetic web site. Read it from the point of view of learning about fat metabolism and why the body manufactures ketones. Good Luck.. https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/blood-glucose-management/getting-to-know-ketones/
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    you may want to adjust your macros with the same calories. but before you do that remove any sweeteners from your diet , splenda , truvia , soda , sweetened waters. I lose better on a lower carb diet 25% carbs 40% protein 35%fats.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Checking your urine for ketones is a simple test that can show if you are burning fat. You should be able to get urine test strips at the drugstore or from Amazon. Here is an article from a diabetic web site. Read it from the point of view of learning about fat metabolism and why the body manufactures ketones. Good Luck.. https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/blood-glucose-management/getting-to-know-ketones/

No. It's a way to see if you are in ketosis.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Do you have days where you don't log your food or frequent binges?