Silly (but effective!) Rules

Options

Replies

• itsfitnessnotrocketscience
    Options
    SweetP27 wrote: »
    No eating in secret.

Agree. I didn't connect it before but car-eating is usually secret-eating, for me. Great rule.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has "rules" for their health that are simple but maybe nonstandard. Two of mine:

1. No eating in the car. Candy at the grocery store, fries on the way home, etc etc etc. Just say no. This (for me!) is always mindless and unfulfilling.

2. No entrees at Mexican restaurants. I like chips & salsa too much. I never need the full entree, a la carte ordering is always enough.

Anyone??!!

I don't have rules about where I eat. Calories are the same whether they are eaten in the car, sitting on the couch, standing in front of the fridge, or sitting at the table. Same with food - calories are calories whether they are in the form of chips and salsa or a taco or whatever. The only rule that I go by is log what I eat and aim for eating less than I burn so that I can lose weight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I avoid watching cooking shows on TV, because no matter what you've eaten or what you have on hand, it's never going to be as yummy as whatever's being cooked.

And that just makes me sad *and* hungry. ;)
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pizza is only an option on days I have a spin class.
  • sarraheclark
    Options
    Whole fruit or veg with every meal (this isn't always as easy as it seems).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    My only rule is "log everything".

Some good advice I aim to follow: I do try to avoid secret eating, and I try to always enjoy what I'm eating and pay proper attention to it. I love food, so it genuinely makes me sad if I stuff something down mindlessly and then have to log all those calories. Such a waste!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit for weight loss
    micros/macros/structured lifting for body comp goals
    no foods are off limits or bad
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

why?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My only rule is.. keep changing the rules.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Wine OR dessert after dinner, not both.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    One rule, for me: Everything in Moderation.

Very simple. If I want something, I eat it because if I don't eat it I'll think about it until I eat every piece of it that I can get my hands on. So not emotionally or physically healthy.

Except for working out - that I do to stop me from going crazy lol and because I love it - which I do every day, or every other at the very least.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My rule is simple to eat it is to log it. Usually to say that to myself and it is enough to stop me from putting food I don't really want into my mouth
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Not eating in the car and not eating in bed. Not because of health or diet but because I don't like messy cars or messy beds/bedrooms.

Always eat sitting down at the table and not in front of the TV (except for desert at night).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    No eating in secret. No hiding or hoarding food. Share treats. Eat meals as a family.

I liked this. Even though I live alone, these rules appeal to me. For me, it's about mindset. I'm eating in a way I'm not ashamed of now. When I'm buying groceries, I don't pretend I'll need all that ice cream because I'm having a party, or "hoping" I'll be using those vegetables for a great big stew, and I'm not trying to tell myself that the family-size bag of candy will last me a month or two.

This has had a remarkable impact on my overall stress level.

I will do a version of this when shopping -- if I'm buying something because I'm planning on having one serving, I make myself answer the question about what is going to happen to the rest of it. There may be a day when I can easily fit in the calories for 3 Oreos, but am I going to be able to easily fit in the rest of the package? If not, I won't buy it -- I'll either buy a smaller portion or skip it.

I don't trick myself into thinking that I can easily incorporate a family size bag of potato chips into my diet before they go stale. It's much less stressful for me at home when I'm not surrounded by things that I would prefer not to eat but that I really want to eat. The foods that I have trouble portion-controlling either stay out of my home or come in much smaller packages.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't like rules. The only eating rules I really have are 1. to stick to my calorie goal and 2. eat at least 100 grams of protein every day. The rest takes care of itself.
  • sarraheclark
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why?

When my hubby orders pizza, it's not just a pizza. It's likely a large stuffed crust meat lovers with a side of wings and cheese bread. 2 slices of pizza end up being around 700cal which is half of my daily cals. During spin class I generally burn 500+.