Any experienced hikers - I need advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    skylark94 wrote: »

I do a lot of hiking and did search and rescue training and a lot of back country hiking, ski touring and camping throughout highschool. The 10 essentials can be life saving. Always ask yourself "could I survive the night with what I have?"

Don't forget to pack your "10 essentials". Never assume the hike will go smoothly and always be prepared for the worst.

Navigation (map & compass)
    Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    Repair kit and tools
    Nutrition (extra food)
    Hydration (extra water)
    Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

A really important safety thing is to set a turn around time. Keep track of what time you left the base of the trail and how far you have gone (if you can). Budget the same amount of time plus an hour for your return (from the farthest point of your hike) to the trail head incase of mishap. Since the hike back to the car is often downhill, people assume it will be faster but this is often not true and going quickly downhill more carelessly and tired is when accidents are more likely to happen.

I don't mean to scare you! I have hiked in 2 foot of snow in day hikers before and yes my feet were completely soaked and cold but I had a great time and returned home safe and sound. Being in the mountains/wilderness is always worth it, Have a great hike!
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    skylark94 wrote: »
    My advice, don't. Drastically shorten your route or put it off for another day. It's far too easy for inexperienced hikers to become quickly overwhelmed. 8.5 miles is not an easy distance, even in good conditions.

I live in Colorado and do a lot of hiking year round. Even if there is a bit of a path worn, the going can still be very difficult and slippery on a snowy trail. You'll need traction devices, as most hiking boots are not enough for slippery trails. You may also need gaiters to waterproof your legs at least to your knees. Snow pants can help waterproof you, but can also cause you to overheat. I assume your boots are waterproof, but snow can get in the top.

Don't forget to pack your "10 essentials". Never assume the hike will go smoothly and always be prepared for the worst.

Navigation (map & compass)
    Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    Repair kit and tools
    Nutrition (extra food)
    Hydration (extra water)
    Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)
    I can't tell you enough how important the ten essentials are. I went on a day hike with zero emergency supplies thinking I would be fine. I fell and broke my ankle. Could not walk out at all. Search and rescue had to bring me down in a litter. It got cold very fast. Thankfully the trail was well traveled and several people helped me with warm clothing and a space blanket. It was 5 hours before I made it to the hospital. Alway! Always! Carry emergency supplies! Even if you think you'll be fine!

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Late to the party. Hope it all went well!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    @deluxmary2000 OP did you go? How was it?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sounds like it worked out for the best, except for the tummy flu. Hope you are feeling better!