Consistency is underrated.. anti cheat reasoning

Options
Ok so here i've been trying to loose weight for 2 years, i panic, diet at 1100-1200 calories for a week then binge on 4000 calories a day over the weekend, panic diet e.t.c Anyways i'd always asumed the dieting cancelled out the binging as i was dieting severely 70% of the time. Whoha I was soo wrong. I mapped out my calories at 1700 as a rough plan and calculated my weight loss then i screwed up and binged on 2 days for 4000-5000 calories per day. In order to get back on track with my weight loss timeline (without doing something stupid like not eat for the day e.t.c) I'd need to cut my calories to 1270 rather than the allowed 1700 for 11 whole days. Strictly. I'm going to try and do this (eating lots of fruits, minimising processed food e.t.c before going back to my usual 1700). I need to keep to the timeline as I am soon training for a marathon, im far to far above my race weight and dont want to risk putting to much pressure on my joints but know its really hard to loose during active training (im now a good few months out so have time). So ive a few questions

1) What keeps you consistent
2) How do you stop a binge
3) Does anyone do this whole numbers excel spreadsheets, averages and weight loss thing or am i just a little O.C.D
4) What would be your advice for motivation to keep on track; im open to journaling, book advice, sleep nail painting advice, exercise advice, anything that will help really!!

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The MFP app has a weekly summary of net calories. That's all I use, other than my daily diary. It's under nutrition>calories>net calories, and then you switch from daily to weekly.

I avoid eating things I don't want to eat by not bringing them home. It's also easier to stick to the plan if the plan includes food you enjoy, but stays away from foods you know you will over eat. I can't buy a candy bar or a bag of chips without planning to eat it all. So I either don't buy it, or I plan to eat it all.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I never cut too hard too fast and have never gone extremely low. I exercise, eating too little and exercising is a recipe for an epic binge.

I ate the things I've always enjoyed, just in moderated portions. I often bank calories so I can eat higher for one meal/day a week. I look at my weekly averages in the nutrition tab on here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    bunny_347 wrote: »
    Ok so here i've been trying to loose weight for 2 years, i panic, diet at 1100-1200 calories for a week then binge on 4000 calories a day over the weekend, panic diet e.t.c Anyways i'd always asumed the dieting cancelled out the binging as i was dieting severely 70% of the time. Whoha I was soo wrong. I mapped out my calories at 1700 as a rough plan and calculated my weight loss then i screwed up and binged on 2 days for 4000-5000 calories per day. In order to get back on track with my weight loss timeline (without doing something stupid like not eat for the day e.t.c) I'd need to cut my calories to 1270 rather than the allowed 1700 for 11 whole days. Strictly. I'm going to try and do this (eating lots of fruits, minimising processed food e.t.c before going back to my usual 1700). I need to keep to the timeline as I am soon training for a marathon, im far to far above my race weight and dont want to risk putting to much pressure on my joints but know its really hard to loose during active training (im now a good few months out so have time). So ive a few questions

1) What keeps you consistent
    2) How do you stop a binge
    3) Does anyone do this whole numbers excel spreadsheets, averages and weight loss thing or am i just a little O.C.D
    4) What would be your advice for motivation to keep on track; im open to journaling, book advice, sleep nail painting advice, exercise advice, anything that will help really!!

1) I'm kind of a nutrition geek and fitness junkie...when I cut, I don't go to extremes...I cut very slowly.
    2) Can't help you there...this has never really been an issue for me
    3) I just track my weight on an app that shows a trend line
    4) If you're going to run a marathon in the near future, I'd suggest running as exercise goes.
  • bunny_347
    bunny_347 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, unfortunately i live with 4 wonderful housemates who no matter how many times i tell them love to bring cakes/chocolate/treats like bread home to share (they really thing they are being generous and dont understand the temptation issue thing even though we've discussed it as none of them are interested in dieting!) I have to admit it is a pain in the •••• to keep seeing easter eggs already when i open my fridge to get out grapes. As to cutting MFP gives me 1330 for my "active" lifestyle (about 14000 steps daily). I do really enjoy healthy food like fruit, often if i binge it is not on things i really like which is a bit odd i know! @cwolfman13 haha lolling at no 4. yes was planning on doing some running haha but im 28 weeks out so no pressure (or long runs) yet! im actually an outdoor swimming fanatic but in the city its a no go.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    The MFP app has a weekly summary of net calories. That's all I use, other than my daily diary. It's under nutrition>calories>net calories, and then you switch from daily to weekly.

I avoid eating things I don't want to eat by not bringing them home. It's also easier to stick to the plan if the plan includes food you enjoy, but stays away from foods you know you will over eat. I can't buy a candy bar or a bag of chips without planning to eat it all. So I either don't buy it, or I plan to eat it all.

The Goldilock food? Not unenjoyable, but enjoyable enough, but not too enjoyable? LOL.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    1. Over-restricting leads to binging for me. I cannot cut calories too low.
    2. I suggest The Beck Diet Solution along with removing foods that make it easy to binge
    3. Nah, I have a Fitbit and MFP and the scale. That's enough data geekery for me.
    4. If you're going to be training for a marathon, I wouldn't go for a very drastic calorie deficit. You've seen the results of doing that yourself. Your calories were too low and that's likely what led to the binge behavior in the first place. I know you want your weight lower for your marathon, but worry more about fueling your activity. If you don't, you'll just keep binging. Keep your deficit modest.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Its a good question and I see this behavior over and over on MFP. People will cut calories drastically.....binge....cut....binge...cut...you get the point. They seem to do this because they want to lose fast. After 6 months they have lost no weight, are frustrated, say calorie counting doesn't work etc. Now if those same people would have set a very modest goal of .5 pounds per week, they would have lost 15 pounds in those same six months. Op, set a modest goal, eat foods you like with an eye toward less calories dense food options and maybe peek at macros once in a while...maybe. Get a little exercise, it will make you feel better.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    Its a good question and I see this behavior over and over on MFP. People will cut calories drastically.....binge....cut....binge...cut...you get the point. They seem to do this because they want to lose fast. After 6 months they have lost no weight, are frustrated, say calorie counting doesn't work etc. Now if those same people would have set a very modest goal of .5 pounds per week, they would have lost 15 pounds in those same six months. Op, set a modest goal, eat foods you like with an eye toward less calories dense food options and maybe peek at macros once in a while...maybe. Get a little exercise, it will make you feel better.

So .5 is the magic number? Binge-proof point?

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

The Goldilock food? Not unenjoyable, but enjoyable enough, but not too enjoyable? LOL.
    Seriously, though, it's true. You won't binge on perfectly ripe mango, but you will overeat potato chips. Super palatable food is designed to override your cues and encourages you to overeat.

So don't start, and you don't need magic willpower to stop.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

Depends on the person, and, most critically, on how close they are to goal. I'm just approaching the boundary between obese and overweight and considering switching from 1lb a week - which has been fine thus far - to 0.5lb. At some point 1lb will become unsustainable.

The key to stopping binging, for many people, is to stop over-restricting. You cannot really control the binges that much, they are a compulsive behaviour, but you can control the restriction, which is just the other side of the same cycle.

Feed yourself regularly, adequately and well, making sure you are getting the nutrients you need plus some treats to keep you satisfied. If this does not make the binges ease off, you will have to look more deeply into what triggers them.

For me, part of the problem is defining some foods as "forbidden", which just makes them irresistible and a binge magnet.
  • endlessfall16
    Options

Seriously, though, it's true. You won't binge on perfectly ripe mango, but you will overeat potato chips. Super palatable food is designed to override your cues and encourages you to overeat.

I know what you are talking about. It was your wording earlier that was funny if not confusing.

Lots of people don't seem to understand when I said of the concept of "diet foods" and of the fact that we shouldn't always be looking for great tasty food which is a contradiction to our effort. We wouldn't want to struggle with moderation or cut back. "Diet food" is the one that helps you cut back effortlessly. Ie the goldilock food that I alluded to. LOL. But lots of people proudly claim that they make tasty meals everyday (more power to them) and you also get as many people struggling to eat at deficit to lose mere 1 lb.
  • endlessfall16
    Options

Depends on the person, and, most critically, on how close they are to goal. I'm just approaching the boundary between obese and overweight and considering switching from 1lb a week - which has been fine thus far - to 0.5lb. At some point 1lb will become unsustainable.

The key to stopping binging, for many people, is to stop over-restricting. You cannot really control the binges that much, they are a compulsive behaviour, but you can control the restriction, which is just the other side of the same cycle.

Feed yourself regularly, adequately and well, making sure you are getting the nutrients you need plus some treats to keep you satisfied. If this does not make the binges ease off, you will have to look more deeply into what triggers them.

For me, part of the problem is defining some foods as "forbidden", which just makes them irresistible and a binge magnet.

It surely depends on the individual.

To me, it has little to do with the size of the loss (1 vs .5lb, etc.) It has much more to do with one's understanding of calorie (energy) management.

I don't feed myself regularly. I handle bingeing fine. It's well within my plan; and as said in my previous post I do categorize foods into different groups. One to be cautious with, don't abuse as you are playing with fire and the other (the diet food) I couldn't care less. It's a fact that, like anything else, foods aren't equal. Most people struggle with moderating chocolate, pizza, alcoholic drink and nobody is known to binge or have become overweight on celery and cucumber.

I don't mean to contradict you, but things have to make sense. I built my approach around these logics and understanding.

Back to the size of loss, which I don't think is the cause of bingeing. It comes down to one's effectiveness of calorie management. Biologically the body cannot tell the difference between .5 and 1lb deficits. If the body can gain 1-2 lbs a week, it can safely shed more or less the same amount. It's just a matter of one's efffectiveness in the approach. This has much to do with observing, understanding the body reactions, and work on conditioning.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options

To me, it has little to do with the size of the loss (1 vs .5lb, etc.) It has much more to do with one's understanding of calorie (energy) management.

I don't feed myself regularly. I handle bingeing fine. It's well within my plan; and as said in my previous post I do categorize foods into different groups. One to be cautious with, don't abuse as you are playing with fire and the other (the diet food) I couldn't care less. It's a fact that, like anything else, foods aren't equal. Most people struggle with moderating chocolate, pizza, alcoholic drink and nobody is known to binge or have become overweight on celery and cucumber.

I don't mean to contradict you, but things have to make sense. I built my approach around these logics and understanding.

Back to the size of loss, which I don't think is the cause of bingeing. It comes down to one's effectiveness of calorie management. Biologically the body cannot tell the difference between .5 and 1lb deficits. If the body can gain 1-2 lbs a week, it can safely shed more or less the same amount. It's just a matter of one's efffectiveness in the approach. This has much to do with observing, understanding the body reactions, and work on conditioning.

It does depend on the individual, which is why I started my post with "depends on the person".

I don't agree that the body doesn't know the difference between different sizes of deficits. The bigger the deficit, the less you eat, therefore the hungrier you will be.

Sure, there are other factors in hunger management, as you say, but the basic fact of how much you eat is always going to matter, and is always the first place I look if I find myself binging. "Am I eating enough?" is the first thing to rule out.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

An aggressive deficit can set the hormonal stage for binging. Dieting is hard on a lot of hormones that ultimately affect appetite and hunger signaling. Dieting hard is even harder on those hormones.

This isn't just a dry matter of "effectiveness of calorie management". It's important to remember that dieting is essentially a starvation state. That's not to be negative or hyperbolic, but there's something to be said for controlling the degree to which that state is taken.

Obviously, the proof is in the pudding. If a person is motivated by quick losses and doesn't experience bounce back binge behavior from severe caloric restriction? Carry on.

However, different personality types exist among individuals and I don't think a convincing argument can be made that it's going to be okay across the board for everyone to be just fine to cut calories drastically simply because they can gain weight drastically too.

There are studies that show that binging is most definitely tied to over-restriction. It's not a bad idea to pay heed to them if it seems to be a problem for any given individual.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options

I can binge on shredded wheat.