Hangry?

Options
Does anyone else get moody when calorie cutting? I fractured my patella (knee bone) and haven't been able to workout much so without burning as much I'm eating around 1200-1300 cals a day. I feel satisfied mostly but definitely a little moody between meals lol. Happen to anyone else?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    That's one thing lack of food doesn't do to me. In fact other than a bite of something pure heaven I don't have much feelings at all when it come to food or lack of.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I actually stick to 1/2 lb a week and it prevents me from getting so hungry that I get hangry. But it can be different for different people.

Before I started having some joint problems I'd forget or not have time to eat and I'd get hangry more often.
  • 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed this. Especially when I first started intermittent fasting- very hangry!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I get moody when I'm dehydrated - not so much when hungry (or calorie cutting). I guess we all have different things that affect us :)
  • EchoFiveNiner
    EchoFiveNiner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great observation! I have a potential solution for you. I've been downing pickles to keep my belly feeling full in the middle of the day. I wrote a blog post of how it fits in my schedule and why I like it here. Maybe that helps a bit?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It can do. I'm more likely to just eat more whether I want to or not.

When I injured myself last year, I reduced my deficit to lose half a pound a week. Not only is it harder to lose when you can't exercise, but your body needs calories to heal.
  • Valkmer2
    Valkmer2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to get hangry, but that stopped for me once I cut out aspartame. I miss my Diet Coke, but my friends and family do not miss my blood-sugar related moodiness. I also have found that I don't get snacky/hungry as much as I used to.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Not being able to exercise may be doing that to you as well. I get very moody when I can't run. Usually sad, but I am also not as patient with my husband when I'm not able to exercise.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating lots of carbs, I get hangry. But when I'm doing low-carb, it really levels out my hunger levels and makes hunger barely noticeable, so the hangry-ness goes away!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Valkmer2 wrote: »
    I used to get hangry, but that stopped for me once I cut out aspartame. I miss my Diet Coke, but my friends and family do not miss my blood-sugar related moodiness. I also have found that I don't get snacky/hungry as much as I used to.

Um. There's no sugar in diet drinks, so sugar wasn't the culprit.......
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I don't cut barely at all if properly injured or sick (a fracture I consider proper). The body needs adequate fuel to heal in as short a time as possible. Eat more and be sick for two days or eat my full deficit and be sick for seven. I know what I'm choosing.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I am hangry today. I have a bunch of cold sores and I can barely swallow water. Yesterday I ate 900 calories and they were painful af. I struggled with a cold chili for lunch today and abandoned it half way through. I'm pretty much going to eat freezies and protein shakes later this evening, the pre-logged egg soup is going to be tough even though it's soft lol
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    only time I get moody is if i'm on a steady low carb days while keeping my training at like 80%. I think its partly because of low energy levels and then glycogen stores are depleted so you body works overtime and your mind is like PISS OFF FEED ME lol
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am in the worst mood after a bad weigh in...I try to keep that in mind! But also agree that losing more slowly prevents "hanger"!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat for strength (lots of veggies, let junk) I am SHOCKED at how HAPPY I feel. Some much that I wonder if some of the depressed people in the world are undernourished.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm half marathon training at the moment so my problem is the runger!

there's rungry and then there is swimgry - holy heck I'm always starving after swimming
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I get hangry so baaaaad. I often snack on fruits and veggies so it's not very substantial and I tend to get ravenously hungry (then hangry) on my commute home from work/school. I bought some tasty vanilla protein powder and make tea late shakes to have mid morning and it has helped me so much to not energy crash and get beyond hangry in the afternoon.
  • megpiesweats
    megpiesweats Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get hangry soooooo bad. It runs in my family. My mom can tell when I need a snack because I'm so grumpy and curt.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    This is reminding me of the time a friend and I went for dinner. She'd "saved herself" for a blow out but a little more enthusiastically than she should have or usually does. I have never seen someone so distractedly and restlessly stare in the direction of a kitchen in all my life.