From heavily overweighted to lean but looking for muscle now. What to do??

I have dropped my weight with about 22kg. I did this by going into a cal deficit of at least 500. I started weight exercises for about 3 times per week. Some weeks more but some weeks less depending on my traveling.

I succeeded to reach my initial goal of 90kg. It took my about 10months. I keep my macros and I eat healthy. The effects were clear. I will post basically 3 pictures. Start (Feb 2016, July 2016 and as I am right now)

From where I am now I would like to build some more mass. In terms of cal intake I am looking for a balance to grow mass but not to gain weight. Hence exchanging fat for muscle.

I went into a 3 times weightlifting and a 1time cardio per week regime.

I am about 187cm tall. My call intake is around 2300-2500cals/day.

What would be the best strategy to build muscle?

Replies

• Ih8Rain2
    Ih8Rain2 Posts: 77 Member
  • Ih8Rain2
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    The 3 times lifting and 1 time cardio per week... is that what you did for the 10 months where you lost 22kgs?

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Recomp - eat at around maintenance calories whilst following a strength building lifting protocol (see here vor examples http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest)

• Ih8Rain2
    preshalin wrote: »
    The 3 times lifting and 1 time cardio per week... is that what you did for the 10 months where you lost 22kgs?

Yes. But not very structured. Mainly to lose weight. Now I want to follow a strategy to gain muscle.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    If you're looking for a program, go here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

It sounds like you want to bulk now? Are you ready for that(mentally)? If not, recomp is the way to go.

Go read on the Gaining Weight/Body Building forums and decide
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Recomp - eat at around maintenance calories whilst following a strength building lifting protocol (see here vor examples http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest)

I'd agree with this.

OP, since you don't want to gain weight but hopefully some more muscle than a recomp (or eating around maintenance and following a progressive overload lifting program) will yield you the best results.

• NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    are you looking for muscle as in bigger or muscle as in lean muscle mass
  • Ih8Rain2
    Lean mass although I don't fully understand the difference in your question
  • Ih8Rain2
    are you looking for muscle as in bigger or muscle as in lean muscle mass

Lean mass
  • psuLemon
    Lean mass although I don't fully understand the difference in your question

There isn't a difference. Muscle is lean. The size of those muscles depend on the amount of time trying to build mass, and generally "supplementation". One does not generally as a huge ton of bulk (found in many body builders) from doing basic weight lifting. And considering all things equal, you would be able to a monitor how "big" you get and adjust as necessary.
  • preshalin

Yes. But not very structured. Mainly to lose weight. Now I want to follow a strategy to gain muscle.

Thank you. I need to lose fat at the moment.

I have dropped the calories by about 500. I try to go the gym at least 3 times a week. But I have only been doing mainly cardio. That's why I asked the question.

Thanks!
  • psuLemon

I have dropped the calories by about 500. I try to go the gym at least 3 times a week. But I have only been doing mainly cardio. That's why I asked the question.

Thanks!

If you want concentrated fat loss (meaning minimal muscle loss), I'd lift 3x a week to help maintain muscle and eat adequate protein (~.6-.8g/lb of weight). If you want some hope of gaining muscle, then you want a well structured lifting routine focuses around progressive overload.
  • preshalin
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thanks!

If you want concentrated fat loss (meaning minimal muscle loss), I'd lift 3x a week to help maintain muscle and eat adequate protein (~.6-.8g/lb of weight). If you want some hope of gaining muscle, then you want a well structured lifting routine focuses around progressive overload.

This is what I want! Thank you for that!