From heavily overweighted to lean but looking for muscle now. What to do??

Options

Replies

• laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! Looking good!!!!!
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    cbl40 wrote: »
    You look amazing! My personal opinion is that men look better lean like you, than like a body builder. Just my opinion. Great work!
    My opinion too. I like men to look lean, not all bulky .

• Ih8Rain2
    Ih8Rain2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    You look amazing! My personal opinion is that men look better lean like you, than like a body builder. Just my opinion. Great work!
    My opinion too. I like men to look lean, not all bulky .

I don't think whatever I do that I get bulky. Unfortunately at my age (sounds old) it doesn't go that fast. So a bit more defined. That would be it.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options

Thank you CBL. I take that as a guidance.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    I know nothing about building muscle but I do know you look amazing my friend. Keep pushing.

Thanks. I will :). Thank you for the inspiration
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    I read a lot of lean bulking. What is lean bulking?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ih8Rain2 wrote: »

Its eating in an intentional surplus that is small.. roughly 250 to 10% over maintenance levels to optimize muscle growth and minimize fat gains.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Its eating in an intentional surplus that is small.. roughly 250 to 10% over maintenance levels to optimize muscle growth and minimize fat gains.

Could you cycle that? I mean could you micro bulk/cut with a 3kg range. I would lift heavy and eat up to 91kg and then continue to exercise but cut back to 88kg and so on?
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i must say great job dude.....looking awesome.

Just trying to catch up reading some the previous posts...
    Kind a on the same road here...currently doing 5-6 day of weight workouts....1-2 days cardio.....depending how my work week flows, set the limit at minimum 3 day weights and 1 cardio.

This kinda works for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Could you cycle that? I mean could you micro bulk/cut with a 3kg range. I would lift heavy and eat up to 91kg and then continue to exercise but cut back to 88kg and so on?

Generally, you wont to go long enough to actually put on mass. A male can generally gain 2 lbs of muscle per month. So a bulk of 3 to 6 months would be ideal.

But knowing your goals in the beginning, I would probably suggest a recomp if you are ok with taking time.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »
    i must say great job dude.....looking awesome.

Just trying to catch up reading some the previous posts...
    Kind a on the same road here...currently doing 5-6 day of weight workouts....1-2 days cardio.....depending how my work week flows, set the limit at minimum 3 day weights and 1 cardio.

This kinda works for me.

Hi Tinuz,

3 times a week heavy lifting is enough for me. I put so much into it that I need the recovery otherwise something will just snap off :)). I use the cardio to recover. I like swimming to do that. Good for the muscles.

What are your aims Tinuz?
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options

Generally, you wont to go long enough to actually put on mass. A male can generally gain 2 lbs of muscle per month. So a bulk of 3 to 6 months would be ideal.

But knowing your goals in the beginning, I would probably suggest a recomp if you are ok with taking time.

I go for recomp. I am not in a hurry. I just want to see where I will be in 12 months from now.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Btw Mr Lemon. Thanks for all your advice. Very much appreciated.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Excellent job. My goal is your current physique. We're about the same height, I weight less, 187 lbs, but your body fat is lower than mine. IMO you seem to be at 12-13%, where I'm at 16-17%. Our calories are about the same, I lose at 2100 and maintain at 2500. If you would like to increase muscle mass I would consider a lean bulk. Recomp is also an option but a lean bulk would provide you the extra calories to support adding more mass. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the more experienced MFP'ers would suggest.

• Ih8Rain2
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Excellent job. My goal is your current physique. We're about the same height, I weight less, 187 lbs, but your body fat is lower than mine. IMO you seem to be at 12-13%, where I'm at 16-17%. Our calories are about the same, I lose at 2100 and maintain at 2500. If you would like to increase muscle mass I would consider a lean bulk. Recomp is also an option but a lean bulk would provide you the extra calories to support adding more mass. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the more experienced MFP'ers would suggest.

Me too!
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I believe that if I don't progress, if I don't set new targets I will go backwards again.

Get that out of your mind. You won't go back. Just keep it up. ;)
  • Ih8Rain2
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    I believe that if I don't progress, if I don't set new targets I will go backwards again.

Get that out of your mind. You won't go back. Just keep it up. ;)

Ok then :)
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The options are lean bulk or recomping, coming off of the major cut you just put your body through, I would probably eat at maintenance for a few months.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Also, since you mentioned you incorporate AMRAP in your current lifting Wendler 5/3/1 might be a program you would enjoy.