Do you stop eating at a certain time at night?

Options
13»

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I will eat something light before bed, but nothing heavy. I have one night a week that--due to my work schedule--I have to eat late at night. I usually have nausea, bloating, and end up sick to my stomach as a result. It also messes with my blood sugar levels. So it depends on the person.

While eating late at night may not affect weight loss overall, it can often lead to confusing weigh ins. Gaining 5 lbs due to bloating from a late night meal can mess with a dieter's head. Most of us are overweight, not because we haven't tried to lose weight a million times before, but because we can't handle failure. So it can be a bit of a gamble, depending on how you define a weight gain to yourself.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I save the majority of my calories for dinner and dessert which keeps me pretty stuffed til bed time. I'm usually finished eating by 6:30pm, and i go to bed between 8-9pm. I hate the feeling of a full stomach when i go to bed.
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my last meal between 7-8pm. I eat 5 meals a day and drink around a gallon of water. My first meal starts at 7am and every 3 hrs after that. 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm,and 7pm
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating by 8pm, but only because if I eat later than that, I tend to wake up starving and feeling sick. Nothing to do with weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Nope meal timing has zero impact on weight loss
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating by 8pm, but only because if I eat later than that, I tend to wake up starving and feeling sick. Nothing to do with weight loss.

I'm the same, if i eat a huge meal before bed i wake up famished. I don't usually have my first meal til 1-2 in the afternoon, because i dont feel hungry before then. But if i eat late the night before that all goes out the window!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    I usually try and stop at 8pm. Thinking of trying 7. Just will be tough the nights I go to dinner but thinking a cutoff time could help me with these last five pounds.

Nah, don't starve yourself at night, try to fit your calories into your schedule as well as you can. Do a little planning ahead of time. If you're going out that night, maybe have a light lunch. You're correct when you said the nights you go out will be tough. Don't have such strict rules and you'll be ok. Steady as she goes.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I fall asleep. As far as I know I don't sleep eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    For me, my usual time is about 11:30pm............I'm asleep about 30 minutes later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Kitchen closed by 8PM at the latest (most of the time around 7:30PM). We may have desert 1/2 hour later because we don't go to bed until 11:30PM. However, I only have desert or a snack if I am hungry and regardless of macros or calories leftover.
    I don't awake hungry in the middle of the night but if I did, I would disregard it.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yes. I stop eating when it's time for bed. I hate crumbs in the bed.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I love night eating. I purposely wait to eat my dinner at 7:30 or 8:00. Dessert is like 30 minutes before bed because I can't eat in my sleep.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've done both, not eating until later in the day and eating right up until bedtime and I've also done the no snacking/eating after dinner pattern of eating. Both worked for me but I much prefer not eating after dinner - it's more structured and makes it easier to maintain my weight without counting calories.

I also wake up feeling energized instead of sluggish (probably because of ketosis) and I just plain like being hungry and eating breakfast in the morning -- it feels like a good start to my day.
  • n622921
    n622921 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No, I set my alarm for 2am so I can pick up where I left off.
  • MsObesityRehab
    MsObesityRehab Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to stop at 7 but I've been cheating and stop around 8 or 9pm. Need to change that asap.
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    only when I run out of calories! :smile: