Cycling vs running

Options
124»

Replies

• CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My knees will not handle running - period. Without cycling they hurt all winter as well.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have ran, swam and cycled. Running hurts the most on my old knees, I have to limit the amount. I only run three miles through a park close to home and it gets boring seeing the same view each time. I find swimming incredibly boring, due to the boredom I no longer swim. I love cycling, I can go out for a short one hour ride on road or track. Ride out with a group spending all day with them and a nice long lunch stop. I see different roads and views. I can vary my workout with sprints, hills or play catchup with the group. Spend a much or as little on a bike as you want. Which is better? The one you prefer.
  • MAH80T50
    MAH80T50 Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I cycle, because I have arthritis in my right hip and lower spine, so I get the same cardio workout, just without any impact ... Running isn't good for my boobs either - there ain't no sports bra strong enough to strap these puppies down ...

:p:DB)

For me cycling can be so relaxing and so therapeutic, I can just keep going and going, but I can feel the sensation in my bad hip from just sprinting across the road or to the bus, so if I was to run any distance I'd probably be crippled ... but they each have their merit and I think we should do what we enjoy - isn't that what it's all about, finding what we enjoy and that way we stick with it and get fit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is this the same guy as above? I don't think he's very good at this. ;)
    um87oohfgwse.jpg

I personally do both mountain biking and running. They each have their merits. B)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Get a group of experienced runners together and the conversation will eventually turn to their numerous injuries

I've seen the observation that runners suffer chronic injuries, cyclists suffer acute injuries.

I do both and I don't suffer much at all. I started weight training several years ago, and I haven't had a running injury since. And I've only had a few minor scrapes and bruises from biking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Get a group of experienced runners together and the conversation will eventually turn to their numerous injuries

I've seen the observation that runners suffer chronic injuries, cyclists suffer acute injuries.

I do both and I don't suffer much at all. I started weight training several years ago, and I haven't had a running injury since. And I've only had a few minor scrapes and bruises from biking.

I do both as well. I've had a couple of broken bones from cycling, and been knocked off by cage dwellers a few times.

Thinking about it most of my running injuries have also been acute; calf tear, ankle sprain.
  • mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    bikes hurt my a## even though I have a padded seat
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I don't see many sticking up for running....
    So I gotta say: Running is a more natural activity and, therefore, a more natural motion. My legs weren't made to go around and around. They were made to strike and push.
    Plus, I move my arms when I run, from which there is a benefit.
    The striking bit of that is the problem for me. Too much impact when runninghurts my body.
    Not sure how "natural" it is to run distances. Even super fast animals only do it in very short bursts.

Plus you use your arms a lot in cycling if you do anything more than pootle along.

Heel striking is not a natural running gait. Kick off your shoes and run and in about 4 steps you'll realise that.

With respect to how natural distance running is, we've been persistance hunting for thousands of years (certainly longer than we've had bicycles) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

i2l7z3m2iseb.jpeg
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Is this the same guy as above? I don't think he's very good at this. ;)
    um87oohfgwse.jpg

I personally do both mountain biking and running. They each have their merits. B)

Lol!! I have to admit I did this RUNNING in a marathon a few weeks ago! I tripped over some dang railroad tracks after 25.5 miles, and face planted onto the road. I was so tired at that point I wasn't able to brace myself. But, I got up and ran in for the finish with blood dripping down my face in 3:54:06!!

I'd love to cycle, but with the falls I've had running, I'm sure to kill myself on a bike. Plus, drivers are jerks and scare me.