Lose weight while building muscle?

Options
I wasn't really sure which forum to ask this in as it is kind of a two category question.

I'm ashamed to say that I used to be a fairly 145 lbs and with my crazy school schedule and working full time I fell off that wagon pretty fast and I am now up to 170 lbs and not very fit. I work an IT-Networking job so I sit/stand at my desk while at work and I have 17 credits this semester. My time during the week is extremely limited (however after this semester will have plenty of time during my last two semesters), I have time for a workout once and a while during the week if one of my classes gets done early otherwise I have to go straight to work after class and I have all the time in the world on the weekend. I'm not as concerned about seeing my numbers drop quickly as I am about trying to get fit and build muscle. It it possible for me to gain muscle while losing weight?

When using calculators it says my maintenance calories are about 1672 a day.

If I want to build muscle should I just keep that 1672 calories, workout, and increase protein intake? I know that I probably consumed more than that a day. I just hopped back on dieting a week ago and at 1200 calories a day with no exercise I have lost about 5 lbs. I realize you have to eat more to gain muscle mass but I know I need to cut down weight as well so I'm not sure how to go about incorporating both.

So I guess I am wondering how I should base my calories and how many times/hours I have to get myself to the gym for weight training in a week to lose fat and gain muscle?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you build muscle in a deficit, yes.... but not a lot of muscle and it definitely requires dedication passed working out once and awhile. More likely, you have the ability to sustain muscle if you are doing some resistance training and eating adequate protein (~120g for you). I'd probably start you at 1300 calories and work on weight loss. If you can consistently exercise, i'd probably increase calories slightly.

I would try to get to the gym at least 3x a week for resistance training. A 3 day full body routine would be ideal. You can start with a body weight or free weight program depending on your personal preference and your goals for your body.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    maybe look at the recomp thread as well - eating at maintainance/close to and strength training
  • psuLemon
    Options
    maybe look at the recomp thread as well - eating at maintainance/close to and strength training

At 170 lbs, I recomp is probably not the best ideal, especially after gaining 25 lbs.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    I'm basing on my experience with my RD - they put me on what they refer to as performance macros - it is slightly under maintenance and I'm down 10lbs - maybe recomp was the wrong word to use
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Recomposition only makes sense when you're already at Target weight. I'd focus on weight loss combined with maintaining lean mass, not adding more. You'll see results more quickly. Once at lower weight then look into recomposition
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm basing on my experience with my RD - they put me on what they refer to as performance macros - it is slightly under maintenance and I'm down 10lbs - maybe recomp was the wrong word to use

Yea, that would still be a cut. I suspect they are minimizing your deficit to optimize your performance gains and modifying macros to support things like recovery and energy levels.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yea, that would still be a cut. I suspect they are minimizing your deficit to optimize your performance gains and modifying macros to support things like recovery and energy levels.

possibly - its a very minor one (I avg close to 2250 a day - but on a cycle) and down 10lbs
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In this video Jeff Cavaliere goes into details about building muscle and losing weight.
    https://youtu.be/Bz3AG-oCXTE

Basically, losing weight is a direct result of a calorie deficit. Building muscle on the other hand isn't necessarily related to an excess of calories. What is to be considered is the Postive Nitrogen Balance.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @yondaime8 , that video is accurate in every detail.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @yondaime8 , that was a great video. I would love to read up on more detail. I cannot imagine a diet of only protein shakes, though. It's a bit extreme.
  • Jockamo319
    Jockamo319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started out in a similar situation -- more than 30 lbs overweight with muscles atrophied from inactivity. I'm eating at 10% below maintenance (paying attention to macros and hitting about 30% protein), with a lifting program that's reasonable enough that I can stick with it. I'm still making strength gains while slowly losing weight. After just a few months, the results are very noticeable in the mirror. I may or may not actually be gaining muscle mass while losing weight, but honestly I could care less. It looks like I am, and I feel a hundred percent better.
  • hanibunni
    hanibunni Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting 3x per week, and doing light cardio (walking etc) 2x per week. I have been steadily gaining strength and also losing between .5kg to 1kg each week. Last week I added an additional 10kg onto my squats/deadlifts while eating around 1600 calories per day. My macros are 35/30/35.
  • LonsyBoy
    LonsyBoy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I ended up dropping fat and adding muscle at the exact same time, even on lower than normal calories
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    LonsyBoy wrote: »
    I ended up dropping fat and adding muscle at the exact same time, even on lower than normal calories

By what measurements do you know you achieved both fat loss and muscle gain simultaneously?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    @yondaime8 , that was a great video. I would love to read up on more detail. I cannot imagine a diet of only protein shakes, though. It's a bit extreme.

that video is a load of BS...
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Care to expand about that? I mean Jeff is a certified famous trainer with masters degree in Physical Therapy and Bachelor of Science in Physioneurobiology / Premedicine, I've been following his channel for long and have been able to get really good results.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    yondaime8 wrote: »
    Care to expand about that? I mean Jeff is a certified famous trainer with masters degree in Physical Therapy and Bachelor of Science in Physioneurobiology / Premedicine, I've been following his channel for long and have been able to get really good results.

if you want to build appreciable mass you need a surplus of calories. nitrogen balance and other woo woo bro science terms have nothing to do with it...and I love how he says you need the right protein and need to supplement and then a website for a supplement magically pops up...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

The "study" he talked about - according to the video, and exactly what he said - had all 27% BF guys.

That's very overweight - almost definitely obese guys. There was no mention of how much they had trained previously. So, that right there are 2 red flags. Probably new to training and quite overweight. Yes, those are the types of people that are more likely to put on muscle while cutting.

Red Flag #3: How big a cut did each group do? That matters.

Red Flag #4: The ones that didn't put on any LBM didn't train and didn't take in extra protein. No *kitten*. The ones that did put on some LBM trained and (apparently) consumed more protein.

Red Flag #5: He kept talking about lean muscle mass. I truly question if it was LMM, or LBM - there's a considerable difference. I'd be willing to bet it was a little LMM, but more LBM. I also question if he knows (or tells his audience) the difference between LMM and LBM.

Yellow Flag #1: He thinks training for over 1 hour is overtraining? It sometimes takes an hour just for warmups on squat day. It also matters how much rest you're taking. I can only guess that this guy is weak AF.

Yellow Flag #2: Someone supposedly as knowledgeable as he shouldn't have any real issues getting adequate nutrition without supplementing, yet he says that he can't because he's on the go too much, blahblahblah.

It feels like there was another thing(s) that bothered me, but I can't remember it and I'm not planning on watching that silliness again.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

The "study" he talked about - according to the video, and exactly what he said - had all 27% BF guys.

That's very overweight - almost definitely obese guys. There was no mention of how much they had trained previously. So, that right there are 2 red flags. Probably new to training and quite overweight. Yes, those are the types of people that are more likely to put on muscle while cutting.

Red Flag #3: How big a cut did each group do? That matters.

Red Flag #4: The ones that didn't put on any LBM didn't train and didn't take in extra protein. No *kitten*. The ones that did put on some LBM trained and (apparently) consumed more protein.

Red Flag #5: He kept talking about lean muscle mass. I truly question if it was LMM, or LBM - there's a considerable difference. I'd be willing to bet it was a little LMM, but more LBM. I also question if he knows (or tells his audience) the difference between LMM and LBM.

Yellow Flag #1: He thinks training for over 1 hour is overtraining? It sometimes takes an hour just for warmups on squat day. It also matters how much rest you're taking. I can only guess that this guy is weak AF.

Yellow Flag #2: Someone supposedly as knowledgeable as he shouldn't have any real issues getting adequate nutrition without supplementing, yet he says that he can't because he's on the go too much, blahblahblah.

It feels like there was another thing(s) that bothered me, but I can't remember it and I'm not planning on watching that silliness again.

you have more patience than I do ..I got to the supplement part where a website for supplements pop up and that was it for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I like a lot of his stretching and many of his videos on form, but he tries to sell his supps too much and pulls the same crap of other parts of industry (i.e., his creatine supplement).