Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hypothriodism

Bluekitty777
Bluekitty777 Posts: 6 Member
Any tips that work with hypothriodism?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Establish a routine. You have a gland that is not functioning optimally, so the best course is developing a routine. Take you medication, stay hydrated, and eat within your budgeted amount. Ensure that you have moderate exercise scheduled into this routine.

Other than that there isn't much else to this.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    take your meds - don't eat/drink for at least an hour after taking them (and take at the same time every day)
    avoid any calcium supplements within 3hrs of thyroid pills
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    Yup to the above (well, my instructions were to wait 1/2 hour after meds before eating, but in my understanding as long as you're consistent with the wait interval in that range, you'll be OK).

I had no special trouble losing weight on account of being hypothyroid (well controlled with meds). Calories in < calories out worked Just Swell for me, just as it does for people with normal thyroid glands/levels.

(I'm old-ish (61) and - of course - post-menopausal, too, a couple of other characteristics that are supposed to be deal-breakers for weight loss. Didn't seem to be, in my experience.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yup to the above (well, my instructions were to wait 1/2 hour after meds before eating, but in my understanding as long as you're consistent with the wait interval in that range, you'll be OK).

I had no special trouble losing weight on account of being hypothyroid (well controlled with meds). Calories in < calories out worked Just Swell for me, just as it does for people with normal thyroid glands/levels.

(I'm old-ish (61) and - of course - post-menopausal, too, a couple of other characteristics that are supposed to be deal-breakers for weight loss. Didn't seem to be, in my experience.)

Same here. I'm 54, though.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Take your meds, get your levels checked regularly. I had my thyroid removed about 10 years ago. Hasn't affected my weight very much. Even went through one pregnancy without a thyroid and they adjusted the meds accordingly. Now I'm a bit older , (45) and my metabolism is slowing down naturally . So that's an issue, but my advice is regular doc visits and never forget to take our meds.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

my initial prescription was 30min before eating (although that wasn't even told to me originally when I started on it); my new endo recommended an hour and I feel much better doing that

there is even some research to suggest that taking it in the evening prior to bed might be a better option - unfortunately, I tend to eat late at night and you are supposed to wait 2hr after eating before taking it