No need to eat 'clean'?

Options
I see on here that it's ALL down to calorie deficit. So in actual fact you could have a chocolate bar for breakfast, a chip butty for lunch, and biscuits for tea and as long as you are in your deficit you will still lose weight? I haven't lost weight in like 3 weeks I'm not panicked as i know weight loss isn't linear but i have been eating more junk food lately and wondered if that is to do with it at all? I'm staying in my deficit i use food scales. If that's not the reason the only over reason i haven't lost is because, i am eating ALOT of salt! Ive just been craving it like mad! Like sprinkling it on my toast, my salad, everything! Or the fact that I'm on my period so could be weighing a little more

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh and i started the contraceptive pill again last month so maybe that could be it. I've not gained just stayed the same
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you're eating food that's high in sodium that could also be a part of the culprit. However, you are right you can eat food that is a bit higher in sugar, or just eat snack products for your meals and still lose weight. This will work as longer as you're in deficit, but eating sodium laden foods won't be helping you with your weight loss. I tend to either gain weight or stay at the same weight when I consume a lot of sodium.
    Also I've read posts about people gaining weight from using birth control; however, read the side effects to see if it's listed.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    If you changed the way you eat, and you are eating more sodium, you most likely are retaining water weight.

^^^ This. For me, sodium is my weight arch-nemesis. When I have high sodium days, I retain a lot of water. I actually track that to my weigh-ins, so it's pretty accurate. And TOM of month can definitely mess with the scale. Give it some time. Maybe drink more water and try to cut back on the salt when you can.

ETA: Yes, technically you can eat whatever you'd like as long as you eat less than you burn. But for nutrition/health purposes, people chose many times to get a decent balance of macros.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    So if i am eating a lot of sodium rich foods i wont be losing fat?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Google the Twinkie diet.

Obviously not recommended but a really good experiment showing it's not about the food you eat but the quantity when it comes to weight loss.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »

You will still be losing fat, but your weight may stay the same or even go up some if you are retaining water
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Water retention from the salt could mask any fat loss. It wouldn't directly cause you not to lose.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    [quote
    Just because people say you can include chocolate, chips, biscuits, etc., does not mean that anyone here says that's all you should[/quote]
    That's not all I'm eating lol was just an example, i tend to mix up my diet with lots of healthy stuff! Just i like to add chocolate hehe
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Is the only alternative to eating clean eating junk food? Nothing against junk, but I prepare home cooked meals without eating "clean". I use things like canned tomatoes and beans and some convenience ingredients but I'm pretty sure it's not junk.

It seems like it:).

I think that's why some have an issue with the term. There are so many definitions.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    On my tablet! Won't quote lol
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I'm not eating junk food constantly it was an example, would i lose IF. Sorry for any confusion!
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    I'm not eating junk food constantly it was an example, would i lose IF. Sorry for any confusion!

Yes you will lose IF you eat some "junk" food IF you are in a deficit.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Many of us lose weight with a diet that includes chocolate.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    That's why I'm not particularly bothered by no loss as i AM eating in a deficit no matter what i eat