Fitbit question

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Those who use fotnits, do you eat back your cals earned? I'm talking just normal activity cals earned, not from official exercise. If you do, are you still consistently losing?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,983 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance, but I ate most of my fitbit adjustment when I was losing.
  • MariannePhoto
    MariannePhoto Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't normally unless I have a very active day.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Lol. Just realized my typo. "Fitbit " :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Lol. Just realized my typo. "Fitbit " :)

Hehe I've seen "Titbit" quite a few times.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Those who use fitbits, do you eat back your cals earned? I'm talking just normal activity cals earned, not from official exercise. If you do, are you still consistently losing?

Yes, and yes.

I get a lot of activity calories. If I didn't eat back any of them, I would be massively undereating. If somebody's only getting 100-200 per day, it wouldn't matter as much.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Those who use fotnits, do you eat back your cals earned? I'm talking just normal activity cals earned, not from official exercise. If you do, are you still consistently losing?

I want to use a fotnit. Whatever it is, I want it.

I just got a Fitbit 3 weeks ago. I've been eating according to the adjustments that it gives MFP and it seems to be on par with my weight loss! Only time will tell.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat some. I'm losing more than my weekly target, so I could definitely eat more of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Kinda have to. 22k steps is a LOT of calories and I'd be starving if I didn't.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my fitbit calories. I only walk I try for the 10,000 steps per day but only about 2 miles of those are active, the rest is just normal activity. If I did active exercise on a regular basis I'd probably eat 1/2 back if I was continuing to lose.
  • phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories. Extra calories available = a win in my book. I'm pretty sure calories left is how we lose weight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    I don't eat back my calories. Extra calories available = a win in my book. I'm pretty sure calories left is how we lose weight.

Except, if you're using mfp as intended, you already have a deficit built in and not eating exercise calories could put you into too big of a deficit which is unhealthy.

Plus, more food! I've always eaten my exercise calories back and I'm down 125 lbs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Nope. Your Mfp goal already has your deficit built into it. You don't have to leave calories on the table.

OP I've always eaten back most if my Fitbit calories and have lost/ maintained as expected. Having said that, exercise calories can be hard to determine, so you could start off eating back half and adjust after a few weeks based on how you feel and what the scale is doing.
  • psychrat
    psychrat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat them all and it makes me happy!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I accidentally underate by not eating them, and lost more muscle than I needed to. If you are a pretty tight logger, eat them back and see what happens in a couple of months.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat half of them back , if I'm honest and accurate with my tracking I still loose the 1lb a week I'm aiming for and sometimes a little more.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Except, if you're using mfp as intended, you already have a deficit built in and not eating exercise calories could put you into too big of a deficit which is unhealthy.

Plus, more food! I've always eaten my exercise calories back and I'm down 125 lbs.

I'm going to Agee with this.

Yesterday I did a 3.5 mile hike. I earned 500 adjusted calories. I ate 1200 my mfp calorie goal which gave me a net of only 700 calories. That's too low.

Unfortunately I don't eat breakfast and my hike was just before dinner so I had a 1200 calorie dinner and I couldn't eat a morsel more. But that was one day and I'm ok with it but I would not do this with any regularity and it just helps me to see that I have to plan better by taking a snack with me.

Having said that I usually eat some if not all of my Fitbit calorie adjustment. I'm just off a diet break so we will see how accurate it is for me. I was able to maintain for 2 months eating the adjusted calories.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Most people here eat them and still lose. However for me Fitbit overestimates my daily burns by about 350cal per day (from normal activity including walking). So the first month after I bought it I ate by it and gained.
    But like I said most people seem to have no such issues.