Pounds not coming off only inches , why?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a pound of fat takes up a lot more space in your body than a pound of muscle. While you may have lost a little bit of weight, you're replacing your fat with lean muscle mass. Way to go on your progress!

Not replacing it but revealing it and all muscle is lean.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP in four weeks you have lost 1.4 pounds which is just a little over a half pound per week loss and you have lost inches, not sure what the problem is here. Keep doing what you are doing and when the water weight gain settles down you should drop off more weight. Just remember it is a marathon not a sprint.
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Truly understand, same here! Hang in there, I just have the mentality now.... Let me see what happens if I don't quit!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Are you doing your own measuring or is that part of the boot camp?
    I am being measured weekly by my coaches at the bootcamp ,

No offense but they do have an interest in you losing inches...is it possible that they're holding it a little tighter than before?

fairly sure you'd feel them pulling it 3 inches tighter ;P

OP you're probably retaining water for muscle repair. Its very common when starting out a new intense routine that gives you DOMS, if you're at a deficit chances are you are building very little new muscle just retaining what you have and increasing your fitness, the inch loss suggests you are losing fat though. Well done and in time that water weight will shift too, it's nearly impossible to avoid water weight gain with increased intense exercise and it is not a bad thing or something to avoid but it will make your scales fluctuate all over the place.

Also inches are better than pounds inches are what everyone sees, the scale is just what you see in private. Well done.

Sorry? The op lost 3 inches from ONE measurement or from a series of measurements? To lose 3 inches from ONE measurement, none from the rest, and only a pound and a half lost? Now I think somebody wrote a number down wrong somewhere.

Eta: no another member just confirmed that measurements are TOTAL. You wouldn't notice them tugging in half an inch/one cm at each measurement.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat

No it doesn't, a pound of muscle & a pound of fat're each still; a pound!
    But muscle is denser
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Isnt the point of losing "weight" to lose inches and fat? I never understand why people worry about what the scale says when they are getting the actual results.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! You must feel fierce.

As for your weight loss, I would expect you'd I see a big change on the scale during the first month of your program. I'm guessing you are not creating the deficit you need: you are either overestimating your exercise cals or underestimating your food cals.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    moesis wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how complicated people make weight loss. Calories in, calories out, keeping track a ridiculous number of macro nutrients. It's pretty simple; eat better and be more active. Eat better today than you did yesterday. Be more active today than you were yesterday and be more active tomorrow than you are today.

While I know that 3" in a month is not unheard of, this does seem like quite a bit to me. After doing the math, that's 1/3 of an inch for every hour you worked out. If I were go to challenge anything, it would be the accuracy of your baseline measurement. Measuring yourself accurately around your stomach and hips is nearly impossible.

The important part to focus on is that you are making progress.

So just keep being more active everyday until, what? I'm at a full sprint everywhere I go, holding dumbbells? And how do you keep eating better everyday? Is there an optimal diet, and if so, where do you go from there?

Sounds much more simple than a planed out healthy well balanced diet everyday...

Lack of intelligence, common sense, and any sense of decorum = a mean little troll.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how complicated people make weight loss. Calories in, calories out, keeping track a ridiculous number of macro nutrients. It's pretty simple; eat better and be more active. Eat better today than you did yesterday. Be more active today than you were yesterday and be more active tomorrow than you are today.

While I know that 3" in a month is not unheard of, this does seem like quite a bit to me. After doing the math, that's 1/3 of an inch for every hour you worked out. If I were go to challenge anything, it would be the accuracy of your baseline measurement. Measuring yourself accurately around your stomach and hips is nearly impossible.

The important part to focus on is that you are making progress.

So just keep being more active everyday until, what? I'm at a full sprint everywhere I go, holding dumbbells? And how do you keep eating better everyday? Is there an optimal diet, and if so, where do you go from there?

Sounds much more simple than a planed out healthy well balanced diet everyday...

Lack of intelligence, common sense, and any sense of decorum = a mean little troll.

"After doing the math, that's 1/3 of an inch for every hour you worked out."

"Eat better today than you did yesterday. Be more active today than you were yesterday and be more active tomorrow than you are today."

Ah yes, you think that a person can lose inches during only their workout, and used a poorly worded inaccurate piece of advice and I'm the unintelligent troll...sure.

You gave a one person fits all advice when everyone has different needs.