What to avoid on a diet

Options
kristinutvols
kristinutvols Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm new to this diet thing and don't know much about it and was wondering what are the things to avoid while trying to diet and getting healthy?

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    To answer more openly, no need to actively avoid anything specific. Just be more mindful of quantities and portion sizes.

CICO [Calories In - Calories Out] is the general rule.

That said, eating only Big Macs & fries for all your calories isn't the healthiest of choices... xD But you get the gyst of it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Excess calories (those above your goal).

Fear of food and arbitrarily eliminating foods/entire food groups from your diet for no good reason.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Avoid coming down too hard on yourself. You will most likely have setbacks but if you get back to it then you will make it.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Avoid people.
    Lol!!
    Op, I personally avoid buying a large box of anything such as chips/ cookies. I love the single serving items better. This way I don't find myself grabbing the full bag and over-eating.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Avoid restricting yourself too much.

My food selection increased when I started with MFP. There's so much great variety out there! :)
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything as long as your total calories stay under your goal. If your goal is 1600 calories, you can eat that fastfood cheesburger, fries, and a soda, but then you'd have to eat nothing else all day. So here are some things I've found helpful, with the caveat that you shouldn't put anything completely off limits; learn how to work the treats or desserts into your plan that you want the most.

1. Sodas/drinks with calories - if you can stick to water (or calorie-free bevarages) it makes it a lot earier to stick to your calorie goal. A big enough soda can have a whole (small) meal's worth of calories, so weigh out whether you'd rather have a soda or a big filling snack.
    2. At restaurants, meaty/low carb items are usually the lowest calorie options. Get the small steak or grilled chicken instead of a sandwich or wrap. (When you cook things yourself, you can find ways to make carbs that are higher in fiber and lower in carbs than restaurant foods.)
    3. Substitutions are your friend! I really like homemade burritos, and I switched tortilla brands from one that was 140 calories each to one that was 50. I also switched from sour cream to fat free greek yogurt and switched from full fat to nonfat cheese. I also switched out high calorie desserts for Halo Top ice cream (Halo Top is a staple if you're counting calories but love ice cream.)

Read the label on everything. Over time, you'll learn what works for you and what doesn't. Everyone likes different things and finds different things filling, so my best advice is to do some experimenting.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I avoid pop, because it's too many calories for what it is. Beyond that, I've "downsized" my portions more than avoided anything. Like @xchocolategirl posted, I get smaller portions of the things I like. So I have a box of small bags of chips instead of buying the family sized bags. It costs more but can grab 1 bag of chips and be fine, which is better than digging into the family sized bag and eating 1/2 of it. The last loaf of bread I bought, the slices are 2/3rds the size. That kind of thing.

Restaurants are tougher, but as @blitzia said, stick more to lean meats as much as possible. The pasta will be a killer for calories and some of the salads are huge calorie bombs.

But the short answer is don't restrict too much and don't make it more complicated than it needs to be, weight loss is confusing enough as it is.

And ignore most of the things you read on the net. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this diet thing and don't know much about it and was wondering what are the things to avoid while trying to diet and getting healthy?

I don't avoid specific things. But I do learn along the way that some foods are so caloric that they are out of my reach most of the time. That's when I decide if a food is worth the calories.

My list of foods that are worth it......and your list of foods that are worth it will be two different lists. This site is a great learning tool, because losing weight is just the first step.

Log your regular foods.....watch your portions. Then tweak your choices along the way. Protein, fiber & fat are filling. The combination is a little different for everyone. So experiment if you are hungry. I start the day off with protein (Greek yogurt).....then I add some Fiber One and chopped nuts. Gives me all three filling components.
  • robert2339
    robert2339 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Avoid not exercising.
    Avoid soda.
    Avoid foods high in fat
    Avoid fast food.
    Avoid fried foods
    Avoid bread (or limit it)
    Avoid getting discouraged.
    Avoid Lean Cuisine and frozen meals like it.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    robert2339 wrote: »
    Avoid not exercising.
    Avoid soda.
    Avoid foods high in fat
    Avoid fast food.
    Avoid fried foods
    Avoid bread (or limit it)
    Avoid getting discouraged.
    Avoid Lean Cuisine and frozen meals like it.

@robert2339

I completely understand about avoiding not exercising and avoiding getting discouraged but please explain why anyone would avoid soda, foods high in fat, fast foods, fried foods, bread, and frozen meals.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Avoid overeating.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything but when i was starting out I did avoid fast food and other typically demonized food. You don't NEED to of course, but learning how to budget your day calorically speaking can take time. get comfortable with your staples and then you'll know what you can and can not fit into your day to keep you satisfied and hit macros.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as a diet and prefer thinking of it as a lifestyle change. I eliminate sodas and sweet tea and fast food burgers and fries. I reduce potatoes, breads and pasta. I increase fresh produce. All this is good but I can't lose weight unless I exercise (running) because I won't give up my wine and beer.