What to avoid on a diet

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP - others have already provided you some great information. Losing weight comes down to creating a calorie deficit. How you do that, is largely up to the individual. When I started on MFP, I realized that if I was cutting things out, I would likely not stick with it. Instead, I looked at what I could add to my lifestyle, in order to become healthier. More exercise, more lean protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more sleep... by focusing on what to add, and logging accurately, I realized I could still allow room for all the foods I loved, in moderation - because filling my day up first with the healthy foods, and exercising to gain some additional calories in my day, meant that I still had room for a glass of wine, or a small serving of gelato, some oreos, or pizza once a week with my family.

Additionally, since you are new here, I strongly encourage you to read the stickied most helpful forum posts at the top of the getting started section. This is a great collection about a number of topics:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1
  • LaauraLoses
    LaauraLoses Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Food haha.

Just eating when you arent hungry really
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    robert2339 wrote: »
    Avoid not exercising.
    Avoid soda.
    Avoid foods high in fat
    Avoid fast food.
    Avoid fried foods
    Avoid bread (or limit it)
    Avoid getting discouraged.
    Avoid Lean Cuisine and frozen meals like it.

Um, no.

I drink diet soda and lose weight. If I want to fit in regular soda (I think it's a waste)....then I will do so.

Plenty of people eat high fat diets and lose weight. Avocados and nuts are high in healthy fats....should we avoid those too?

Fast food - some people eliminate, some people eat this in moderation......we all make choices for losing weight AND keeping it off. Elimination diets don't teach me anything for maintenance. You might have better luck though.

Fried foods - I kind of agree. I don't eliminate but this is far and few between for me.

Avoid bread!? - Nope, not happening. I'm not allergic or have any sensitivity to wheat. This is a lifestyle change...not something I will give up forever.

Frozen meals can be a good starting point. They can also be a last minute, I have no groceries type thing. They have their place for many people. Sure we can strive to make our own frozen meals, but LC makes a yummy chicken alfredo. I toss in some steamed broccoli (never enough veggies).....and lunch is served.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out my advice would be to simply track what you already eat for a week or two without putting too much emphasis on the numbers. You might look at is as research. This would give you a starting point for your personal situation. I can tell you what I avoid but that may not pertain to you. The longer you are at it, the easier it will be to see which foods cause you to go over.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic expectations ie you will not lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks
    Being too harsh on yourself or others
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Going over your caloric goals, on a regular basis.

Here's a really great writeup on how to start using MFP:

https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/3didtl/how_to_get_started_using_myfitnesspal/
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Avoid an all or nothing mentality, and avoid believing that you have to do this PERFECTLY, and that if you have one crappy day then you might as well give up and stuff your face.

Avoid negative people, who dont lift you to your goals, but drag you down to self doubt.

Avoid being made to feel like you are damaged somehow, and that you are wrong to try to improve your health and how you feel about yourself.

Avoid the saboteurs, who want to see you fail.

Avoid restrictions, because the key to success is finding a way of eating that gets you to your goals and that you can sustain for the rest of your life.

Avoid losing money on gimmicks and lose weight fast crap, because thats all it is - crap.

Avoid comparing yourself to others - you are unique and this is your journey and yours alone.

Avoid impatience - if you are being honest with yourself and doing all the things that will move you to your goals, it WILL work, you just have to be patient.

Avoid giving up - even on your worst day, you can recover and start again.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Avoid loading or unloading in the red zone.

Sorry, can't help it:

"
    "Male announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
    Female announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
    Male announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
    Female announcer: No, the white zone is for loading. Now, there is no stopping in a RED zone.
    Male announcer: The red zone has always been for loading.
    Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for unloading. "
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Avoid perfection. It isn't possible.

Avoid self doubt.

Avoid negative talk.

Avoid negative people.

Avoid taking on too much at one time - identify 10 bad behaviors and write them down. Cross off 9 and work on the one remaining - replacing this bad behavior with a good behavior.

Avoid identifying food and good or bad.

Avoid diets. Eat the foods you love in moderation, just build behaviors that encourage eating at deficit and eventually...maintenance.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've come to learn that theres noting to "avoid". you need to make smart choices. Don't beat yourself up that you had a big piece of cake at the birthday party, or drank a coke at the movies. Overall you should make smart choices with what you are eating, but its not going to kill you to indulge a little here and there. Like if you eat smart 80% of the time, living it up during the 20% will keep you from thinking you are depriving yourself. And when you do eat smart, eat things that you LOVE. You will have to try out some new and different thing and you might find something you love and can eat regularly. Like I love vegetables, like brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms...so since I have to eat low carb most of the time (im diabetic), I usually make myself these things and really season them up. So I'm still happy while the rest of the family eats pasta or rice. its not without difficulty, I'll tell you.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Blitzia wrote: »
    You can eat anything as long as your total calories stay under your goal. If your goal is 1600 calories, you can eat that fastfood cheesburger, fries, and a soda, but then you'd have to eat nothing else all day. So here are some things I've found helpful, with the caveat that you shouldn't put anything completely off limits; learn how to work the treats or desserts into your plan that you want the most.

1. Sodas/drinks with calories - if you can stick to water (or calorie-free bevarages) it makes it a lot earier to stick to your calorie goal. A big enough soda can have a whole (small) meal's worth of calories, so weigh out whether you'd rather have a soda or a big filling snack.
    2. At restaurants, meaty/low carb items are usually the lowest calorie options. Get the small steak or grilled chicken instead of a sandwich or wrap. (When you cook things yourself, you can find ways to make carbs that are higher in fiber and lower in carbs than restaurant foods.)
    3. Substitutions are your friend! I really like homemade burritos, and I switched tortilla brands from one that was 140 calories each to one that was 50. I also switched from sour cream to fat free greek yogurt and switched from full fat to nonfat cheese. I also switched out high calorie desserts for Halo Top ice cream (Halo Top is a staple if you're counting calories but love ice cream.)

Read the label on everything. Over time, you'll learn what works for you and what doesn't. Everyone likes different things and finds different things filling, so my best advice is to do some experimenting.

I totally agree about the drinks with calories. I had to cut out regular soda and sweet tea and things when I got my diabetes diagnosis...man the amount of calories in those things really adds up!! Sometimes its not worth it and I'd rather spend those calories on something way better or not use them at all. Water and I have become BFF.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Avoid loading or unloading in the red zone.

The white zone is for loading or unloading only.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My advice would be don't try to do too much at once, it can get overwhelming at first. You don't have to eat only vegetables and protein shakes and exercise three hours a day.
    Buy a food scale if you don't already have one, and then start measuring out portions of foods you actually like. Proper portions of food are eye opening (I'm looking at you, cheese and pasta!).
    Everything in moderation!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Avoid cutting out any food/drinks entirely. That has been key to my mental well being so far this time around. I love that I have the choice to eat or drink whatever I want. I have committed to myself that I will stick to my calories so I make sure I know the calorie count and serving size then make the choice if said food or drink is worth it to me. Also I exercise to earn calories so I can eat more....I don't always eat them but I do if I'm hungry or fitting an extra treat in my day:)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Avoid complicating things:)
  • mehlerscasada
    mehlerscasada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle! Think of it like that, control your portion sizes, and you're in the clear!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Avoid buying large quantities of foods you cannot moderate. So no large bag of chips if you normally eat most of the bag in one go. Get the single serve bag instead. (In my case I can't even buy more than one single serve bag at a time... I will eat them all in one sitting at some point.)

Avoid lying to yourself.