Whst am I doing wrong

Options

Replies

• catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I actually do weigh my foods and if I cannot weigh foods add 20% more calories than on the box because they are allowed a 20% variance in serving sizes. In MFP I always go with the highest listed calories per food and I use my Fitbit and hrm for calories burned
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »
    Then explain to me how my sister has lost twelve pounds in 4 weeks doing Palo and is already down to 123 from 135 in those 4 weeks.

You do you. You cannot compare yourself to anyone else because everyone goes through this differently and gets different results. And constantly bashing yourself is going to keep you in a negative mindset, so please stop. I've seen your other posts and you need to slow your roll a bit or your going to go completely insane. Slow and steady wins this race. Not obsessing over very minor details like 3 oz.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. Ignore individual data points watch trends over weeks
    2. Consider getting help for negative self image
    3. Relax a few days is nothing this is a lifetime project
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear.

You will have ups and downs on the scale due to water retention - this could be due to difficult workouts, sodium intake, restroom habits, or hormones. You can't control these. This can amount to POUNDS of increase some days - not merely ounces.

Seriously, you are going to have to get used to the scale going up and down. If you are eating at a deficit, it will eventually show a downward trend.

Patience is important in weight loss.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add to the chorus and say weight loss isn't linear. What you're experiencing is NORMAL. I fluctuate 3 lbs throughout every week and I've been in maintenance for a couple years. You have to calm down. Like seriously, calm down. You won't get anywhere stressing out like that.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I actually do weigh my foods and if I cannot weigh foods add 20% more calories than on the box because they are allowed a 20% variance in serving sizes. In MFP I always go with the highest listed calories per food and I use my Fitbit and hrm for calories burned

So how long have you been doing the 1 hr/6 days per week routine? What's your height and current weight as well? Can you describe your 1 hour routine? Intensity? Cardio vs weight training? Just curious, it sounds like you're weighing correctly if you are weighing everything and adding calories for labeled/scanned foods. Even that isn't always necessary but it really depends on how much you can be off and still be in a deficit. For instance, I am 6'2" tall so I had many more calories to work with than someone much shorter than me.

Edit: You might also want to open your diary, people might be able to spot inaccuracies that way. Also, unless you are diabetic, don't track sugar, track sodium instead (it's a setting in your diary). Sodium makes a huge difference for weight gain, and as a woman there's likely going to be at least 1 week out of the month (TOM) that your weight will be completely inaccurate. Weighing in during that week or even a few days before or after may not be helpful.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    Doomed to be fat and ugly over .3 gain?? You have far more problems than a .3 gain to worry about. I seriously hope that this thread was meant as a joke and that you seriously do not think like that on a daily basis?? Weight loss is not linear, it takes time and patience. Comparing yourself to someone else is just foolish, there are so many factors that go into weight loss and no two people are alike. A .3 gain could be simply that you stood on the scale a centimeter different this time than last? You could gain 2lbs just by drinking a glass of water or eating something higher in sodium, it's not the end of the world... Your drastic emotional response to .3 gain is disturbing to say the least. I would first work on your self esteem issue before trying to lose weight because one should never depend on the other.

No no, over a 0.1875 lb gain! 3 oz over 16 oz in a pound. Yes this is how much she is worried!! Probably shows up on her scale as 0.2 lb. Sheesh, scales aren't even that sensitive, OP! I can lose 0.2 lb just by showering for 10 mins - meaning I'm not losing weight, the scale just can't be that specific. But yes to everything the quote says! It could be anything or NOTHING.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    o no, over a 0.1875 lb gain! 3 oz over 16 oz in a pound. Yes this is how much she is worried!! Probably shows up on her scale as 0.2 lb. Sheesh, scales aren't even that sensitive, OP! I can lose 0.2 lb just by showering for 10 mins - meaning I'm not losing weight, the scale just can't be that specific. But yes to everything the quote says! It could be anything or NOTHING.

It's common for someone new to worry about minor fluctuations. This is why I never logged gains, only losses on MFP (unless of course I see consistent gains over a period of weeks). That would give me a better overall look at how my loss was going because those of us who have been doing this for a while know fluctuations of up to 5 or more pounds are normal. If the OP sticks with it and takes the good advice from this thread she'll do fine. I do happen to have a few friends who cannot seem to lose weight at any calorie level (even down to 1200) and who are still many pounds into the overweight BMI category. There's no real reason for it, but CICO just stopped working for them. So it does happen, but almost everyone I know who has that issue had it happen over time, at first they, like everyone else was able to lose weight after the initial shock to their body of exercise they weren't used to.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    How did you determine your calories intake? It is possible you might be eating too little

When we eat too much or too little, body can gain weight too.

Starvation mode doesn't exist, you're unable to gain weight by; not consuming!

Well thank you. However, I'm talking about my own experience and others people I came across. It does exist. If your not eating enough, the body will take it from other places you need the nutrition, which makes the body feel hungry. Even if your not feeling hungry.

I been at this for two years.

I just want to know how she determine her calories at 1250?

No, you are incorrect. You cannot gain fat by eating too little.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    @catmomfat to give a precise answer to your question, "What am I doing wrong", you are holding too high expectations for rapid positive feedback on your efforts. You have to be patient and wait for your body to sort through the mess of dealing with all the weight-losey things you're doing to it. Weight loss happens over time, on scales of weeks

Then explain to me how my sister has lost twelve pounds in 4 weeks doing Palo and is already down to 123 from 135 in those 4 weeks.

Because everyone loses or gains weight differently for different reasons... if you gained 3 lbs, maybe have a mini fit and keep it moving but i am seriously concerned for you and questioning your understanding of a lot of things and your self esteem by declaring yourself ugly and fat due to a weight fluctuation of 3 oz. did you maybe mean pounds and not oz??
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    to give a precise answer to your question, "What am I doing wrong", you are holding too high expectations for rapid positive feedback on your efforts. You have to be patient and wait for your body to sort through the mess of dealing with all the weight-losey things you're doing to it. Weight loss happens over time, on scales of weeks

My sister lost eight pounds in a day once: she gave birth.

Context is everything.

hahahahaha
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've GAINED three ounces since Monday. *kitten*. I guess I need to eat less and move more. I don't know how. Damn. I mean working out at least an hour 6 days a week and 1250 a day isn't enough? Plus I'm so sore from weighted kickboxing at title boxing Monday my legs are screaming

Seriously?

I can gain 4lb in a day from DOMS, TOM, high sodium meal.

You need to educate yourself on how your body works.

^^^ This ^^^

I can swing +/-4 pounds a few times in a week. Tuesdays and Thursday I work from home. I drink a lot less water those days, so the following morning, man am I retaining water. My watch which was loose the night before is strangling my hand off the next morning. And it may take another day or two for my body to rebalance.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    As a heavier set woman, I can attest to the “ugly, fat...every “chubby chasers” dream girl etc...yes I do freak out if I gained weight ie: a pound or two however 0.3 pounds takes it to a whole new level. I know we’re all here on this site for different reasons, some for health and others for esthetics. Not everyone loses weight at the same rate. Your expectations are a little farfetched. Your comments on here portray low self esteem/obsession with weight gain. I’m not sure if you posted on here to get reassurance, you’ll certainly find it here. My advice is to seek help, trainer, friend, nutritionist, doctor etc...you’re far too beautiful to be wasting time obsessing over such a minuscule/insignificant weight gain. Life is way too short, enjoy it!
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    I can swing +/-4 pounds a few times in a week. Tuesdays and Thursday I work from home. I drink a lot less water those days, so the following morning, man am I retaining water. My watch which was loose the night before is strangling my hand off the next morning. And it may take another day or two for my body to rebalance.

My biggest gain has been 8lbs overnight lol! It was following a weekend of BBQ averaging about 8k in sodium a day. I lost it all in about 3 days by watching the sodium intake and drinking extra water. That kind of gain will make you wonder if your scale is broken lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I remember you now. You are the one who refuses to weigh many of your foods. That is what you are doing wrong. Stop guesstimating and tighten up your logging.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    878qfdoqfalp.png

Weight fluctuates. Our bodies are extraordinarily complicated.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    878qfdoqfalp.png

Weight fluctuates. Our bodies are extraordinarily complicated.

Yup, and if you draw a straight line from the first date to the last you'll see your weight loss trend is on track. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    o no, over a 0.1875 lb gain! 3 oz over 16 oz in a pound. Yes this is how much she is worried!! Probably shows up on her scale as 0.2 lb. Sheesh, scales aren't even that sensitive, OP! I can lose 0.2 lb just by showering for 10 mins - meaning I'm not losing weight, the scale just can't be that specific. But yes to everything the quote says! It could be anything or NOTHING.

It's common for someone new to worry about minor fluctuations. This is why I never logged gains, only losses on MFP (unless of course I see consistent gains over a period of weeks). That would give me a better overall look at how my loss was going because those of us who have been doing this for a while know fluctuations of up to 5 or more pounds are normal. If the OP sticks with it and takes the good advice from this thread she'll do fine. I do happen to have a few friends who cannot seem to lose weight at any calorie level (even down to 1200) and who are still many pounds into the overweight BMI category. There's no real reason for it, but CICO just stopped working for them. So it does happen, but almost everyone I know who has that issue had it happen over time, at first they, like everyone else was able to lose weight after the initial shock to their body of exercise they weren't used to.

CICO doesn't "just stop working", anymore than simple mathematics "just stops working". 2+2 will always be 4, and 4-2 will always be 2.

There are factors which can mask weight loss, there are errors in accurately calculating intake and/or expenditure, there are medical conditions which can change one end or the other of the equation, but CICO, as a fundamental principle, does not "just stop working". Here is an article with links to 148 different studies relating to the validity of CICO: http://www.completehumanperformance.com/why-calories-count/

[ETA:] As to the OP, I gained 3.3 pounds between yesterday's weigh-in and today's. I know exactly why, and I know it will be gone within the next few days.
  • abetterme121215
    abetterme121215 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In all weight loss journeys you hit a wall and you need to increase your calories and rest a day then reset the next. At least for me that's how it is. My body doesn't like the same schedule over and over....i have to throw a day in every 2 or 3 wks where I mix it up (have a soda, eat 3 or 4 hundred more calories, dont exercise)
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

CICO doesn't "just stop working", anymore than simple mathematics "just stops working". 2+2 will always be 4, and 4-2 will always be 2.

There are factors which can mask weight loss, there are errors in accurately calculating intake and/or expenditure, there are medical conditions which can change one end or the other of the equation, but CICO, as a fundamental principle, does not "just stop working". Here is an article with links to 148 different studies relating to the validity of CICO: http://www.completehumanperformance.com/why-calories-count/

[ETA:] As to the OP, I gained 3.3 pounds between yesterday's weigh-in and today's. I know exactly why, and I know it will be gone within the next few days.

In general I would agree with you, and it never stopped working for me. But I know people who, for no apparent reason, it has stopped working. They have consulted doctors, tried diet breaks, mixing up their routines, and nothing works even at at 500-800 calorie deficit, and they also weigh and log everything religiously, probably more accurately than I do. There still could be an underlying medical issue causing it, and they are aware of it, but doctors can't find it yet. So it does happen, but the cause is not yet determined. There is one truth out there, and that is everyone is different. What works for one, may not work for another. But yes, in general I am in 99.99995% agreement with you that CICO is all you need.