Eating Fruit? How much is too much? From a hardcore fruit addict

Options
124»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    OP whilst posters have given good advice about protein and this may help with your tiredness - it also may not if there are other causes

You said you are being investigated for sleep apnoea - obviously if you have sleep apnoea your tiredness is not going to improve until that is addressed ( with CPAP machine or whatever)
    Losing weight often helps sleep apnoea too - so that would be another motivation for you.

and as you are aware, if your B12 levels are too low ,this will cause tiredness - but I presume your B12 levels and your iron levels are already being monitored since you are already on medication for that.
    Thyroid levels too - but I would think they would have checked that too
  • cicalejo64
    cicalejo64 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also am/was a fruit addict. Fruit is sugar, plain and simple. When we recognize that we realize fruit should be eaten in moderation. Also, I worked with an endocrinologist who advised no afternoon fruit. In my case, I've cut back. It's not hard to grab fruit when we are feeling that afternoon slump. Better to go for protein, e.g. cheese, yogurt (plain and add your own teaspoon of jam). (I could easily eat a pound of grapes, lol).
  • paperpudding
    Options
    ^ Nothing wrong with fruit and 3 pieces of whole fruit per day is hardly excessive.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I limit fruit. The calories are not worth it to me. I'd rather skip it and have a chocolate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cicalejo64 wrote: »
    I also am/was a fruit addict. Fruit is sugar, plain and simple. When we recognize that we realize fruit should be eaten in moderation. Also, I worked with an endocrinologist who advised no afternoon fruit. In my case, I've cut back. It's not hard to grab fruit when we are feeling that afternoon slump. Better to go for protein, e.g. cheese, yogurt (plain and add your own teaspoon of jam). (I could easily eat a pound of grapes, lol).

Why no afternoon fruit?

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    In maintenance, don't you still need to count calories?? I'm thinking it's a forever kind of thing, bc I foresee myself not ever having serious "control" without a structured eating plan, especially after working to lose the weight in the first place.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Some people do, some people dont CT cutie
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. Try combining it with protein for the best satiety. For example and Apple with cottage cheese, or banana with Greek yogurt. Both make a great 200 calorie snack.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I avoid seitan but do eat it sometimes, lots of tofu and tempeh, but beans are my primary go-to. They're my comfort food and nice and inexpensive. I was thinking of adding more tempeh--going to check out the types at the store this weekend!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ^ Nothing wrong with fruit and 3 pieces of whole fruit per day is hardly excessive.

Yep.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I avoid seitan but do eat it sometimes, lots of tofu and tempeh, but beans are my primary go-to. They're my comfort food and nice and inexpensive. I was thinking of adding more tempeh--going to check out the types at the store this weekend!

Couple thoughts just from looking at the last two days.

On protein, breakfast and lunch seem standard, and pretty low. Is there a way to add a bit more protein to both? For example, I've been eating salads for lunch a lot lately where the protein source is added chick peas or falafel or tofu or some beans. Also, some vegetables have more protein than others -- adding broccoli or brussels can help (I'd explore what else). For breakfast, there might be some higher protein oats (and that oatmeal might have added sugar, although I don't think that's a big deal if it keeps you full, I'm not overly concerned about the sugar number). I know a lot of people don't care for protein powder, but I do add some to my oats if I'm not having eggs or some other source of protein. Hemp or flax seed add some too, and so does that peanut powder if you have access to it and like it (I like it in oats--it's got fewer cals than nuts or seeds themselves, although the fat from those is of course healthy too). And again some veg on the side would add a bit of protein, although not a whole lot.

(Nothing brilliant here, since I am not as good at varied plant-based protein sources as some others.)

Another thing, more about the sugar concern (which again I don't think is a worry -- 3 pieces of fruit is fine) than the tiredness. Some of your entries aren't the best ones, and I noticed the banana one seems higher in sugar than it should be. If you use the USDA entries, a 111 calorie banana would have about 15 g of sugar, not 21. Not a big difference, but if it's consistent through the fruit it could be throwing you off.

Of course, weighing is going to be more accurate anyway than guessing if it's medium or not (and I think it's easier). You'd weigh the banana without the peel. Anyway, here's a link to the USDA general search feature (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list). You can find the USDA entries on MFP by putting in USDA or searching using the same terms as in the description (which is what I do).
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I need to buy a scale but I'm just starting out. Thanks on the USDA tip--will do that now.

My lunch salad is topped with 1/2 cup of chickpeas. The breakfast oatmeal I make myself, it has no added sweeteners, but is cooked with a small amount of apple and soymilk for flavor.

Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Ah, sounds good.