$13.30 for three days of food

Options

Replies

• LittleBoBeep9
    LittleBoBeep9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eggs (idk because I'm vegan) frozen vegetables (the walmart brand is usually $1), beans 2 cans $2) pasta ($1.50) salsa ($2) pasta sauce ($2) salad mix ($2), bag of rice ($2), and then a bag of potatoes (3)

Meals:
    Breakfasts: eggs with salsa and a side of potatoes (or mixed in)

Lunch/dinners:

Pasta with sauce
    Rice and beans with salsa
    Baked potato with a little frozen veggies that have been steamed
    Rice with a bit of potato and steamed veggies
    Etc
  • elsiescanyon
    elsiescanyon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Beans rice broth and a fishing pole! ;)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for documenting your progress. I can't wait to hear back regarding your and everyone else's assignments.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's how I would do it:

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    10ct flavored instant oatmeal, $1.54
    1 lb dry black beans, $1.88
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78
    rotisserie chicken, $5.00
    2 cans peas & carrots, $0.80
    12 oz ground coffee, $2.30
    Total cost: $12.48

Strip the meat off the rotisserie chicken, separating the skin, bones, and fat. Cook the black beans with the chicken skin and some bones. Cook the rice with the rest of the chicken bones or reuse ones from the black beans. Pair the chicken with rice and the peas & carrots, or you can make chicken fried rice using the same ingredients plus the fatty chicken skin to provide oil and flavor. Breakfast is oatmeal, eggs, and black coffee. Should get 5 meals out of the chicken/rice/peas & carrots, 6 meals out of the black beans & rice, 10 or 6 breakfasts depending on if you eat one egg or two.

The thing that makes the budget challenging is all of the the food items we take for granted, like seasonings, coffee, etc.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this as I was in the grocery store last night - I might see what I can come up with
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

Strip the meat off the rotisserie chicken, separating the skin, bones, and fat. Cook the black beans with the chicken skin and some bones. Cook the rice with the rest of the chicken bones or reuse ones from the black beans. Pair the chicken with rice and the peas & carrots, or you can make chicken fried rice using the same ingredients plus the fatty chicken skin to provide oil and flavor. Breakfast is oatmeal, eggs, and black coffee. Should get 5 meals out of the chicken/rice/peas & carrots, 6 meals out of the black beans & rice, 10 or 6 breakfasts depending on if you eat one egg or two.

The thing that makes the budget challenging is all of the the food items we take for granted, like seasonings, coffee, etc.

cook oatmeal in water?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

Seasoning and coffee end up being luxuries (it becomes a choice between eating and having a sip of coffee). When I tried to see if it could be done where I live, even the smallest amount of tea was off limits (I prefer tea).
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

That sounds great, too, and as a hoarder of bacon grease, I particularly admire the use of the schmaltz for frying! Although it breaks my heart a little to think of all the fat that was lost during the rotisserie process. You could probably use the odd change you had left over to buy some small quantities of spices from the bulk bins (I believe what was prohibited was buying an entire bulk item and prorating it, but I don't think the bulk bins are prohibited unless I misread).
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Apologies if someone else has already posted this, but this is a cookbook designed for budgeting on $4 per day, and you can download a free PDF: https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/
    When we had a tight food budget this was really helpful (although I think some of her cost estimates are a bit off). A few of these recipes have become long-term favorites - the easy pizza dough is great.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

cook oatmeal in water?

How else would you do it?

And instant oatmeal isn't cooked, just add a little boiling water.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Apologies if someone else has already posted this, but this is a cookbook designed for budgeting on $4 per day, and you can download a free PDF: https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/
    When we had a tight food budget this was really helpful (although I think some of her cost estimates are a bit off). A few of these recipes have become long-term favorites - the easy pizza dough is great.

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a good comprehensive source like that.

I doubt this was the reason for the assignment, but one benefit of doing this kind of experiment is learning to eat well for less. That's a useful skill both to use and to be able to teach. No one would learn it all in 3 days, but it can help with getting started.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a good comprehensive source like that.

I doubt this was the reason for the assignment, but one benefit of doing this kind of experiment is learning to eat well for less. That's a useful skill both to use and to be able to teach. No one would learn it all in 3 days, but it can help with getting started.

I would agree that this assignment likely has an entirely separate agenda, and it is sad that this point might not be made, but one important takeaway is that one CAN put together an awesome meal plan on very little money, with just a touch of organization and knowledge of rudimentary cooking.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Seasoning and coffee end up being luxuries (it becomes a choice between eating and having a sip of coffee). When I tried to see if it could be done where I live, even the smallest amount of tea was off limits (I prefer tea).
    In a short time frame like this, most bulk purchases will probably be unaffordable. I'm thinking of things you normally buy in big containers and use over a long time, including (usually) coffee and tea, and staples like salt, spices, sugar, and cooking oil. Unless you can find a store with a "bulk foods" section that sells those things, where you can buy as much or as little as you want, it probably won't be practical to include them.

• deannalfisher
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

cook oatmeal in water?

Personally I use milk for extra protein/fat but I don't find oatmeal to be particularly sastiating
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

cook oatmeal in water?

Sorry, but gross :confounded: I use milk with my oatmeal.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

dozen large eggs, $0.98
    1 lb dry rice, $0.78

cook oatmeal in water?

Sorry, but gross :confounded: I use milk with my oatmeal.

And some people find milk gross with oatmeal.

But when you are very short on money anything that uses a lot of milk is generally out of the budget.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I never use anything but water with my oatmeal.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Something running through my brain while swimming - any estructions on kitchen appliances (is the assumption there is a microwave or just a hot plate)