Is it rude to decline friend requests?

Options

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have this statement on my profile page:
    "MFP is a tool for me to log food and exercise. So, thanks for your friend requests, but I decline them as I don't use MFP to get or give support other than what I may post on the forums very occasionally.

Good luck on all your fitness goals!"

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to these forums...but if you aren't using the "friends" feature you might be missing out.

There are comedians here..
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is rude to decline a friend request. Personally I try to give back to as many people as I can because we all need encouragement. I love my friends on this site who have helped me a great deal. I started at 378 Lbs and have lost 182 Lbs leaving 81 left to go so I do understand the struggle and want to help others to hopefully achieve their own goals.

I wish you success in all of your endeavors.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would just decline without sending them a message as to why you don't find them worthy of your friendship. Maybe that's ruder though but I think when we start over explaining that's when things go haywire.

I just reread my op to figure out how you got the idea that I deem them unworthy of my friendship. That's certainly not what I think at all.

Was just teasing a bit. Not really thinking you find them unworthy. :) and since you posted this you are obviously caring about how others are feeling. You're good to decline, don't feel guilty.

I think I need to loosen up a little, this is the second time I didn't get the teasing!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    I have this statement on my profile page:
    "MFP is a tool for me to log food and exercise. So, thanks for your friend requests, but I decline them as I don't use MFP to get or give support other than what I may post on the forums very occasionally.

Good luck on all your fitness goals!"

That is a good idea, maybe I'll post something similar to this!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    So for now I'll just stick to not accepting FRs. There is plenty of information in the forums, and a ton of helpful people, I don't feel like I need more than that at the moment. Also, I don't want to come across as someone who is just seeking help here without giving anything back, but I think I can do that in the form of forum posts, if I have anything helpful to contribute. Thanks all for your opinions!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You don't owe anybody anything. Decline requests if you want to and move on. No explanation owed or needed. Nothing to feel bad about, and if they get butthurt over it, well, that just proves you made the right choice to decline in the first place.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It isn't rude. I generally accept requests if they aren't creepy. I'm here to work on my fitness. I have great friends here that do the same and support each other. I just delete anyone that posts a lot of drama, is not active, or is here for other reasons. It's your news feed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,496 Member
    Options
    Maybe other people who love dogs and books saw your user name and sent you a FR? ;)

No, it's not rude to decline.

One thing you might want to consider: Some people put on the profile page that they don't accept friend requests, or don't accept them unless there's a "why I want to be friends" note. That may make it easier for people to understand where you're coming from.

Me, I pretty much accept everyone. I've "met" some very interesting and inspirational people that way.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't even have friends in real life.... ;)
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I decline people all the time lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I usually don't accept friend requests unless it's somebody I've interacted with and established some sort of rapport with in the forums.

With that said, the MFP newsfeed function is so borked that I rarely ever post anything on my feed other than the auto-posts about completing my diary or workouts or how may days I've logged in or whatever.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of friends and I don't reply to friends or messages
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Personally, if I have played a game or two in the forums with them to "feel them out" then yeah, I'll probably accept. If I haven't seen them before, chatted, or done a forum game or two with them, I'm tentative and wait. If they don't send a message, I have no idea why they chose me or how, so I'm leery. If they send a message, I often respond. Many reasons and ways to feel if you get and FR. It's up to you. Don't let others make you feel bad if you decline. With this many people in MFP, they are bound to find someone to be friends with.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is, but some people do. I reject at least half of the FR I get.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not rude. Not necessary to send a message explaining you declined.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I just started posting here yesterday and got some friend requests which I declined, explaining that for now I want to stick to the forums for information and motivation. I cannot be the only one who'd rather not do the friend thing online? To be honest, I don't even understand what it entails to be MFP friends.

In the early stages I ignored the requests because I really am not a "Facebook" kind of person. Really don't get how people say they have 1000 Facebook friends. Then I started to accept a few, but I always examine their profile first to make a decision. There's one friend I deleted a few weeks ago after the posts and type of activity didn't seem like anything I wanted to associate with.

If its well handled, you'd expect to be sending each other direct messages, commenting on their posts in the forums, and reading the daily updates on their wall.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,755 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    For the past few months I have been unable to access my friend requests, so sadly, anyone who does send one is being ignored.

Ha, me too! What the heck is with that? not that I've done anything about it because the reality is that I like interacting with my friends which means that I can only afford to have a small number given how much time is wasted scrolling!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No, it's not rude. If it helps you feel better, you can put your general explanation of why you don't accept friend requests in your profile.

If they don't at least look at your profile before sending a friend request, that's not your problem.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    I take all friend requests all the time more info the better