Is 2% Milk really that bad?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I've always had 2% milk but for weight loss everywhere I read it's all about almond milk but I don't really like it.

for weight loss everywhere???

I have never drunk almond milk - or rice milk or any other non milk alternative.
    Except I have tried soy milk but tastes terrible IMO.

Anyway I buy low fat or skim milk - just because less calories.
    Sometimes i have full fat milk if I have a coffee somewhere other than at home - at work for example and full fat milk is what's in the staff room fridge.

have lost weight and kept it off for 3 years without ever drinking almond milk.

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I drink whole milk. 2% tastes terrible to me.
  • notablish
    notablish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is 2% milk bad? No. The fat, from my understanding, actually helps with absorption of calcium, and cow's milk tends to be your best option when you're trying to get protein. Usually, though, 1% and nonfat is a better option. AAP says that kids should be drinking 2% milk instead of whole milk beginning at age 2 because of the childhood obesity epidemic, so I mean, if you're not having whole milk (also you're an adult), I guess that's a smart choice; there are no AAFP or ACP guidelines on what milk adults should be drinking.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I get 1% milk for my kids. I don't drink it because it tears up my digestive system for at least a day. Not even with cereal.

I've tried soy, almond, and cashew milks and think they taste horrible. So I just don't bother. I get calcium and protein in other foods I eat.

I did buy dark chocolate almond milk to try a chia seed pudding recipe. It's fine in the recipe, but I still wouldn't drink it alone.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I think it's all what you grew up with. I was a chubby kid so my parents always bought skim. Now to me 2% tastes like cream and whole milk is like a nasty milkshake. (I don't regularly drink milk, I'm sure whole milk is delicious if that's what you're used to)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I drink skim. I've been drinking it for years (decades). Drank it before I started to lose weight. I try 2% every so often, but it doesn't taste right to me. And I do appreciate the lower calories in skim.

I've tried almond milk and, well, just no.

But if people prefer 2%, then drink it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    We have an organic dairy nearby, i always stop and buy a couple of bottles when i drive past, it still has a thick layer of cream on top. No idea what % it is...

I will never drink skim milk. Tastes like watery dish water :confounded:

ETA: I've noticed Americans always use % when talking about milk. We only have full cream and skim milk here, no idea what percentage they are.

We get skim (minimal fat..) because it froths better than the low fat (hilo) milk and hubby doesn't like full cream. I only use it for froth on coffee, he makes cappuccinos with it...
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Who says it's bad? I have full fat heavy whipping cream in my coffee and I've lost 80lb.

the "bad" part depends on what the individual is trying to cut out of their diet. i removed milk and strictly use hwc due to carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I think it's all what you grew up with. I was a chubby kid so my parents always bought skim. Now to me 2% tastes like cream and whole milk is like a nasty milkshake. (I don't regularly drink milk, I'm sure whole milk is delicious if that's what you're used to)

Yeah, I think this is often the case. I grew up with 2% too, and switched to skim as a young adult, and like both about equally (and better than whole for that purpose). I don't actually drink milk now, though, and to add to things like smoothies or oats I like really anything, although I wouldn't use whole milk, since the calories aren't justified since I don't like it better. (I most often use homemade nut milk since I like it.)

Not anti dairy at all, though -- I use greek yogurt and cottage cheese, and usually prefer 1 or 2% for both, although 0% plain greek yogurt is a great sub for sour cream. I've tried full fat in a few different brands and just don't find it tastier or more filling, for me, although I sometimes get it from the farmer's market (often goat's milk yogurt, which I like).

Anyway, for weight loss all are fine, OP.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I drink whole raw milk. Just cause that's what's available to me. I sometimes add a little water to it if I want more volume and no more calories. I've had skim, fat free skim, whole, 2%, I really don't have a preference.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    About the cow vs almond milk debate--if you have a valid reason to avoid cow's milk such as lactose intolerance or an outright allergy to milk proteins (casein typically), then almond, soy or rice milk is a good alternative as long as they are supplemented with calcium. If you want the protein boost, cow's milk or soy are both good. We have three different 'milks' in our house: soy drink for me (for the phytoestrogens), almond drink for my lactose intolerant son (he doesn't like soy products) and skim milk for my youngest, who prefers it over the other fat levels.
    Like other posters are saying, the level of fat you want is really up to you and dependent on your goals and preferences.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options

My parents always bought whole milk (and yes I was a little chubby growing up too). When I discovered calorie counting and was able to make my own food choices when grocery shopping I switched to 2%. Once my kids weren't in diapers anymore I switched to 0%, now I can't stand whole milk. It's like drinking a milk shake.

In the end it's all about personal preference and what you plan on sticking to long term.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and I hate almond milk so my drink of choice is neither. I drink green tea (made with a kettle and tea bags) and use the liquid Crystal Light in tap water (our tap water is rust colored but I get the yearly notice saying it is safe to drink).
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Which ones? I am curious about overall calories and the source of the protein, since almonds are not that high in protein despite being high cal. (Most almond milk really is basically just flavored water. The sometimes vaunted calcium content is added with a supplement, which is fine but in the same way that taking a calcium supplement would be.)[/quote]

Silk Protein Nutmilk Cashew Almond Pea Protein and only 2 g sugar.
  • fasterpssycat
    fasterpssycat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While I've never been a fan of drinking another animal's lactate with a meal, I'm not giving up cheese or butter or yogurt or sour cream or ice cream. Almond and coconut milks taste better to me because I've always just really not liked milk, but if you are consuming anything created and sold under capitalism it is impossible to do it in a 100% ethical matter without any footprint, whether you live on red meat or only eat organic produce. Life is complicated enough. Eat what you like and feel healthy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Which ones? I am curious about overall calories and the source of the protein, since almonds are not that high in protein despite being high cal. (Most almond milk really is basically just flavored water. The sometimes vaunted calcium content is added with a supplement, which is fine but in the same way that taking a calcium supplement would be.)

Silk Protein Nutmilk Cashew Almond Pea Protein and only 2 g sugar.

Ah, okay. So the protein is from the addition of pea protein, and it's 130 calories per cup, basically like adding protein powder too. I figured it would have to be something like that.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »

My parents always bought whole milk (and yes I was a little chubby growing up too). When I discovered calorie counting and was able to make my own food choices when grocery shopping I switched to 2%. Once my kids weren't in diapers anymore I switched to 0%, now I can't stand whole milk. It's like drinking a milk shake.

In the end it's all about personal preference and what you plan on sticking to long term.
    Most people I know say skim is like drinking white water. I drink either, and don't care
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    The best lesson I have learned since hanging around these parts, is drink/eat whatever you want, just make it fit. if 2% milk is your jam, drink your 2% milk and love every last drop. Just log it and make it fit.

I only use almond milk in protein shakes because water is gross with protein powder and it is less calories than milk, but still gets me the creamy taste. However, I still have 1% milk in my house to have with my cookies or PB sandwich. :)

Milk is a very contentious point in my house. I grew up only drinking skim milk, my husband grew up drinking whole milk. I am not buying eleventy billion gallons of milk, so we have compromised on 1% for now. The husband is still working on me to get the 2%.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A cup of 2% milk has about 33% more calories than skim milk (120 calories vs 90 calories). For some people, the taste is worth the additional calories.