Weight Loss Surgery VS. Diet & Exercise...Thoughts?

Options
Mishinmite
Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
Over the last two years, two of my family members have undergone weight loss surgery. They both dropped over a hundred pounds the first year. It was somewhat frightening for me to watch them wither away seemingly by magic. I have 50lbs to lose and am hoping to do it in the next six months before my February wedding. I'm using the old WW points plan and trying to increase my physical activities. I was just curious to know what everyone's thoughts were about surgery vs. dieting.

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I think that there are extreme instances where surgery is needed.
    I don't think that yours is one of them.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Surgery works for some people. Its a serious thing though. for only 50 pounds, I'd give calorie counting a shot first.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    1 - If you only have 50 lbs to lose and no obesity-related illness, no way a doctor would do a weight loss surgery.
    2- Even if you have weight loss surgery, you still have to change your diet and exercise.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Every person I've known to get a weightloss surgery has been back to obese within 3 years but I know many people (including myself) that have lost weight and kept it off. I'm all about diet and exercise. It's less expensive and longer lasting (in general). It maybe harder work but I believe you appreciate the things you work for more.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    diet and exercise for you! Less loose skin or non at all if you take it steady :wink:
  • Mishinmite
    Options
    Oh, no. I didn't mean that I was considering it. First of all, I don't have insurance and 2nd, it scared the crap out of me to watch the almost instant transformation. I was just curious how others felt about it and if I should be concerned for my family members.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think that there are extreme instances where surgery is needed.
    I don't think that yours is one of them.

^^^^agree
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you in that I've had 2 family members do the surgery and lose quickly. I also, have 50 lbs to lose and I'm doing it with diet and exercise. I personally thought my family member could've lost the old fashioned way - meaning diet and exercise. However, they chose the lazy way out. They still don't eat good or even exercise.
  • TyTy76
    Options
    However, they chose the lazy way out.

& it starts...
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I lost 91lbs in one year and I also gained knowledge of nutrition and fitness, the surgery is only for people that need it for medical purposes. In my opinion it's not a very good way to lose weight, most people I've heard of getting the surgery gain it all back!
  • treeniemarie
    treeniemarie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery a few years ago and kept it off. Many people put the weight back on because they learn how to cheat. Here I had classes before hand and they wouldn't let oyu have the surgery until you relearned how to eat. That being said, Once the weight started to come off, I threw myself into exercising
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of risks associated with weight loss surgery, as with any surgery. If they came through the surgery ok then there's nothing much to worry about. What they do after they've lost the weight is up to them.

Your goal of 50 pounds in 6 months is doable, but it will likely be challenging, especially when you get closer to your goal. You will have to be pretty diligent about diet and exercise. 2 pounds a week will require a 1000 calorie a day deficit.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Every person I've known to get a weightloss surgery has been back to obese within 3 years but I know many people (including myself) that have lost weight and kept it off. I'm all about diet and exercise. It's less expensive and longer lasting (in general). It maybe harder work but I believe you appreciate the things you work for more.

I have 2 family members and a close friend that have had the surgery anywhere from 5 to 12 years ago. None of the 3 have gained back any of their weight. I also have many friends and co-workers that have repeatedly lost and regained 100's of pounds over the years, none of them having been able to maintain the loss for any amount of time. It 100% depends on the person.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise for me!

If you have surgery, you still have to learn about diet and exercise or the chances of you gaining back are quite high. Why not do he hard work first, then if surgery is still required from lack of results then go that route.

I'm not saing surgeryis lazy, I just think that if someone can prove they can maintain the correct healthy diet before taking surgery (which i think anone SHOULD do) and they see results (which I think a majority ofptients would) then that may lessen the amounts of surgeries performed like this.
  • Mishinmite
    Options
    Another thing that bothers me is that is that I have received 0 support and encouragement from outside of my household. Granted, I've only been dieting for two weeks, but I lost 2lbs. before joining MFP and 3lbs. since and that is amazing to me. I went from eating total crap to eating a healthy balanced diet and from sitting at my computer all day everyday to actually getting up and doing stuff. It would be nice to get the same encouragement that my family members received and continue to receive at every family gathering. No one has even asked how I'm doing, even though I made my diet public so I wouldn't be tempted to give up so easily.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    All but two I know that have had weight loss surgery have gained it all or most of it back. Those I know like myself that used cleaner eating and fitness have lost still losing and kept it off. When you do the cheaters way you don't get the mental mind set you need to be a healthier person its a short cut without the training that is needed for being a fitter and healthier person.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you in that I've had 2 family members do the surgery and lose quickly. I also, have 50 lbs to lose and I'm doing it with diet and exercise. I personally thought my family member could've lost the old fashioned way - meaning diet and exercise. However, they chose the lazy way out. They still don't eat good or even exercise.

This is the type that will gain it back.

There are cases too where people get the surgery and become extremely depressed or become substance abusers. A good Dr doing the surgery will have the people in therapy and nutrition training. However, plenty of people don't do that. There are so many other issues that are involved in weight gain. Especially in extreme cases. It should always be approached holistically or it won't work.

I had a good friend, a great guy. He was a BIG boy, he lost like 75lbs and got depressed, why because his life didn't improve automatically and girls didn't fall all over him. He gained the weight back. For some people it becomes a crutch almost, it is easier to blame excessive weight for your problems than it is to face that someone might not think your good looking, or someone might not like your personality. This is especially true for people who were heavy their whole lives.

And I think most people know that there are so many more reasons why we overeat, than just cause it tastes good.
  • TyTy76
    Options
    Another thing that bothers me is that is that I have received 0 support and encouragement from outside of my household. Granted, I've only been dieting for two weeks, but I lost 2lbs. before joining MFP and 3lbs. since and that is amazing to me. I went from eating total crap to eating a healthy balanced diet and from sitting at my computer all day everyday to actually getting up and doing stuff. It would be nice to get the same encouragement that my family members received and continue to receive at every family gathering. No one has even asked how I'm doing, even though I made my diet public so I wouldn't be tempted to give up so easily.

I get what your saying, but this lifestyle change can be a lonely battle.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Every program works!
    It is what you put into it that keeps it long term.
    I was going to get the by pass on when I was 227 but opted to
    spend my money after the weight loss.
    It worked for me and I had a great time in Las Vegas!
    You have to really want it and you have a time frame for it,
    every time you feel like "cheating" remind yourself of it.
    Just go for it!
    What 1 person can do another can do even BETTER!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think that every person is different in how they lose weight and what works for them. I have known people that have done it through surgery and those that have used other methods. While some of them have maintained others have gained because they did not work on the issues that caused them to gain the weight in the first place. I personally would never go through the surgery, but that being said I do wonder why some people have done it and then refuse the support/group therapy after because those are the ones that I have watched gain it back.....same can be said for the ones that refuse to take a look at their lives and what caused the gain that did not have the surgery. I just think that that is a HUGE medical intervention that would not have been worth it for me.