Weight Loss Surgery VS. Diet & Exercise...Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Fist off I'm glad you aren't considering surgery. I need to lose a total of 50 pounds too and it's amazing what changing your diet can do. Throw in some exercise and it's a recipe for succes!
    I'm sorry you aren't getting much support from family and friends. I've been saying for 15+ years that I was going to get serious and lose the weight. Eventually my family and friends stopped believing me, and eventually I stopped believing me too.
    This site really saved me. I would suggest finding some supportive friends on here that are going through the same process you are. Once people around you start seeing your results they will come around and be more supportive, but it can take a little while.

keep going
  • Monkeyca_Rodriguez
    Monkeyca_Rodriguez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1 - If you only have 50 lbs to lose and no obesity-related illness, no way a doctor would do a weight loss surgery.
    2- Even if you have weight loss surgery, you still have to change your diet and exercise.

This! I got a gastric sleeve 19 months ago, and lost 127 lb but you still need to work hard and eat properly. I joined the gym one month after the surgery and I haven't stopped working out at least three times a week, plus I watch my calories intake closely.

My surgeon told me that, with the amount of exercise I was doing a year ago (about 5 hours at day since I quit my job to completely dedicate to my life style change) I would have lost most of my weight, but I do not think I would have had the energy nor the motivation to do it, without the pounds I lost the first month from my surgery.

I also took the decision of going through the surgery because I was diagnosed with diabetes and I had tried to lose weight before without success, and... my doctor told me that it was riskier to stay the way I was than to do the surgery.

But, in your case, I would strongly recommend to commit and exercise and follow a healthy diet. Remember that any surgery implies a lot of risk. And try to do it for yourself, not for a special ocassion. Adopt the lifestyle, not just for a year or two but for a lifetime (that also goes for me, I still need to remind myself to stay on track ^.^ )

:flowerforyou:
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do think people these days consider surgery a "quick fix"-- but the people who think this are often not the ones that have undergone it. I dislike any surgery being thought of as quick or easy because there are risks with all of them. Anytime you cut pen your skin you risk infection, but a serious surgery like gastric bypass has other complications as well. I learned that young when I, as a high school student, had to attend my best friend's mother's funeral after her gastric bypass. It was supposed to be "easy" and "routine" but she died of an infection to the wound afterwards. Not so say she didn't need the surgery-- she was wheelchair bound and needed a knee replacement, which should couldn't have until she lost considerable weight.

My mother needs a hip replacement and uses a cane, but she goes to the pool for water aerobics every day because I have strongly discouraged her from getting a gastric bypass. Perhaps I am just scared after what happened to my friend's mother. But taking gastric bypass off the table has forced my mother to lose 50 pounds this year through diet and exercise. She needs to lose 50 more before she can have a hip replacement, but her doctor says that by then there may be so much weight off her hip she may not even need the replacement.

I sleep better at night knowing my mother is exercising and eating right and not going "under the knife", and not just for her weight but for her overall health and especially cardiac health. I think surgery is a last ditch option in any situation because it has serious risks. Many of those who undergo gastric bypass have reached the point where they have no other options, but for people with other options, people who are physically mobile, I think diet and exercise and retraining how you eat is the right path.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you in that I've had 2 family members do the surgery and lose quickly. I also, have 50 lbs to lose and I'm doing it with diet and exercise. I personally thought my family member could've lost the old fashioned way - meaning diet and exercise. However, they chose the lazy way out. They still don't eat good or even exercise.

First off you don't have to exercise to lose weight, exercise is for your heart health and second of all they eat just fine, just NOT what you would eat or maybe want to eat, they can't so don't count that at all, they will get to the point that they can eat right again and they will have to learn to control that. Surgery is a tool to lose just like MFP is a tool to use, they will have to change their thinking on eating and it's not easy by any means.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had this argument with family members. Risk v. benefit- with the surgery you are cut open and can die and there is no guarantee eating less will make you healthy. The surgery will not make you choose healthier food. What you eat is just as important or even more important than the amount. I would like to eat pizza and drink beer all day every day while sitting down being waited on. However, I choose to exercise, study diet information, and eat well. I do not understand the surgery choice.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who's said that surgery v. Diet and exercise is a false dichotomy. Surgery must be accompanied by a change in diet to work, unless the surgery in question is liposuction (and yes, I know you're meant to lose weight before trying that too). The surgery makes it so that eating the 'wrong' foods in the 'wrong' quantities can make you sick, potentially for the rest of your life.

There is nothing 'easy' about getting the surgery method to work. Personally, I couldn't do that to myself, not for the risk of mistakes in surgery or death, but for the restrictions in diet. I love my food and to be limited medically would be a horrific fate to choose. Right now I have Gestational Diabetes, so I'm getting a small taste of a restricted diet (controlled carbs), but that wasn't a choice. I admire anyone who turns their life around, with or without surgery, especially as it would never be an option for me.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how "far gone" you are...
    The diet and exercise still has to play an important part in either instance.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The surgery will not make you choose healthier food.

Not entirely true, but common misinformation. No, the surgery does not change your thinking, that much is true, but it can and often does change your physiological response to what you put in your remnant stomach. Trust, if you're smart, the first time you get ahold of something with too much fat/salt/sugar/carbs/starches/etc post op will be the last time you try that food. The resulting experience is NOT pretty. It involves intense pain and much vomiting. I can't imagine why anyone would try to repeat that, but the sad fact is, some people do. Those people need professional intervention.
    What you eat is just as important or even more important than the amount. I would like to eat pizza and drink beer all day every day while sitting down being waited on. However, I choose to exercise, study diet information, and eat well. I do not understand the surgery choice.

I sincerely hope you're not insinuating that all people who have weight loss surgery sit and eat all day whilst being waited on. I didn't do it before surgery, and I damn sure don't now. I also exercise, have probably studied enough diet information at this point to become a nutritionist, and I most certainly eat well. The "surgery choice" is a valid one, when the patient properly educates him/herself and is compliant with the plan agreed upon with their healthcare provider. You know, kinda like pretty much any disease or condition management process.

Read it again with me, people: Properly managed surgery is NOT a substitute for diet and exercise. You don't choose one or the other if you plan to be successful. BOTH approaches must be used together. It shouldn't be this difficult.
  • Ajjf
    Ajjf Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree with most people in the thread. No, surgery itself isn't going to fix the root of someone's weight problem, which is their lifestyle. I've seen people lose 250 pounds after gastric bypass only to stretch out their pouch of a stomach and gain 150 back.

For a very small group of people, sure, surgery is a valid, if not, the best, option. For example, those who are so overweight their body simply can't safely support basic forms of exercise.

That being said I really do feel a lot of people elect surgery where a non-surgical option i.e. exercise and diet, are really the more beneficial option in the end.

But the middle-aged person in reasonable shape who elects a lap-band to lose 80 pounds over diet and exercise in my view is just lazy.
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i got my band in october yes i thought i could splurge a bit of cash and get a quick fix well it worked for the first 25 pounds but after that nope i have to watch everything i take in for example i neglected my fitnesspal for the past 3 weeks i gained 2 pounds iv been on here for the last ten days and lost 7 n a half!! without watching everything i wouldnt lose. there are so many people who dont lose after the initial surgery and recovery stage and its because of choices, i could eat 20 bags of crisp in one setting ten bars of chocolate if i decided i wanted to it doesnt stop me from eating junk! i have to do that ME not the tool i have inside of me!! it just gives me the motivation i need to succeed. i dont have it so tight i can barely eat a starter!! or im throwing up every meal. i have it tight enough that it just reminds me to think about what im eating. cheating?? its not cheating at all if we eat the wrong foods the weight doesnt come off its as simple as that. i love my band and i wouldnt be without it im such an emotional person there is times i have wanted to binge out so badly but this device helps me so much and the results of where i am keep that emotional eating at bay.
  • RickyLuvsMary4ever
    RickyLuvsMary4ever Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do it, and your not alone anymore you will be surprised at the support you will find on MFP.

As for your question.

Surgery is not the easy way out! And to each their own. There is many ways to a healthier body, and sane mind!'

I am a Obese class 3 person.

I had both options on the table lose weight with diet and exercise or with weight loss surgery.

I did a lot of research, and I even started to go through the process for qualifying for the surgery.

But I weighed my personal pros and cons and realized I have not given diet and exercise a honest try... I should try to do it fully on my own before surgery... that was 54 pounds ago! I lost weight but I gained my life back!

Focusing on myself and my own needs was scary at first but I am loving myself these days and the results are unmistakable. 5 Dress Sizes.

I have lived in a fat person's world. I know a lot of people who had surgery, and some people embraced the tool that helped them lose weight with exercise and diet and other people got a smaller stomach but never changed the mental about over eating and gained all the weight back.

I made the right choice for me. But weight was a symptom of my issues not the real problem.
  • JazzieM123456
    JazzieM123456 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nmuwildcat
    nmuwildcat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I seriously have 100+ pounds to lose. I was looking into weight loss surgery. I was a good candidate for it, but I did not pass the psychological test. I am diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and because of that I was not allowed to do weight loss surgery. It was very devastating at first... but I decided to join Weight Watchers again, and so far for 16 weeks I've been extremely successful.
  • bigdaddyrocker2000
    Options
    I considered surgery, however the way things are going chances are I won't be getting it as I've lost all my weight through diet and exercise. It's not about what you eat, it's about the caloric intake. I lost my first 180 lbs just watching my calories. I then started exercising and have lost more since. Total loss of 221 lbs in 471 days. Doing it this way makes you feel better about yourself and your accomplishment, or so I feel. Good luck with your decision.
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I personally thought my family member could've lost the old fashioned way - meaning diet and exercise. However, they chose the lazy way out. They still don't eat good or even exercise.

Surgery is NOT the lazy or easy way out. It is a serious decision to make. For someone who needs to lose over 100 pounds, surgery may be the only way to do it. If, infact, said family member is not exercising or eating right, surgery is probably not going to produce long term, permanent success. My paperwork is being submitted this week to my insurance company for the gastric sleeve. Ask ANYONE who knows me, this decision has neither been made lightly, nor have I just sat back and waited for the magic cure all. I have been modifying my eating habits, food choices, etc. I have, for your information had to change my entire relationship with food. My changes will be for the rest of my life. I have already given up diet sodas, rice, doughy breads, grits, and corn based products. I have gone from zero exercise EVER to twice a day workouts in the pool for an average of 90 minutes a day. 67 days ago, I could barely work out once a day for 15 minutes. If you think for one minute that this has been easy or the "lazy" way to do this, you are seriously ignorant of what the process entails. If you are observing continued bad eating habits in your family member, maybe you should offer support or suggestions or become his or her accountability partner instead of sitting in judgement of something bout which you obviously don't possess the first clue.
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    Congratulations on you decision to get healthy! I am sure you will be successful with MFP. It is amazing how much difference tracking and journaling your calories and food can make. Good luck! Look forward to hearing of your success!
  • Ashory
    Ashory Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, apparently WLS is a hot topic, and there are a lot of judgmental people out there...

My two cents - WLS has its pros and cons. If you want it to be successful, and STAY successful, it requires a total change of mindset and lifestyle. Yes, the first couple of weeks or two are easy, and you will lose weight without trying. Once you can tolerate solid foods again, however, it becomes a matter of choice.

For instance - I was 34 years old and 311 pounds. No matter what I ate, I felt hungry. All the time. There was no sensation of being "full", even when I'd eaten WAY more than I should, or gave myself 30 minutes to eat a meal that I planned, weighed, documented, took my time with, along with lots of water, etc. It didn't matter. I would be hungry when I got up from the table. I had the Sleeve done on May 15th of this year. I've lost 43 pounds. It wasn't, and isn't, all rainbows and unicorns. I take 2 multivitamins a day, and 500 mg of Calcium citrate three times a day, along with a sublingual B12. I will be on these supplements for the rest of my life. I knew that going into the surgery, so it was an informed decision.

I have to have a minimum of 70g of protein per day (for both nutrition and to keep from losing my hair), but my caloric intake should only be between 900 and 1000. That's not "easy" and it isn't "lazy". It means tracking -every single thing- I put in my mouth.

Exercise is a must. No exercise = loose flabby skin, almost no energy, and usually going over my caloric goals. Juggling exercise five days a week with a full time job, full time school schedule, and four kids (three in scouts) isn't easy. It darned sure isn't 'lazy'.

For some, the decision comes from a necessity. Yes - exercise and watching your meals is important, no matter whether you're considering surgery/already had surgery/not going to have surgery. However - what do you tell the person who has tried, HONESTLY tried, six different weight loss plans, and only sees weight gain? Or that person who modifies her meals, and stays hungry all the time, never hitting satiety or feeling full? Do you tell them to keep going, and eventually she'll get used to it? do you judge them every time they give up? Or do you try to understand?

Here's the thing, guys - some people? They need the boost. They need that jumpstart, so that they CAN continue on. Judging them isn't fair, or right, as you've never lived even a day of their life. Even being in the same family isn't the same as being in their skin. Just think about that, the next time you want to cry out that another person is "cheating" or taking the "lazy" way.
  • Mishinmite
    Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can do it, and your not alone anymore you will be surprised at the support you will find on MFP.

As for your question.

Surgery is not the easy way out! And to each their own. There is many ways to a healthier body, and sane mind!'

I am a Obese class 3 person.

I had both options on the table lose weight with diet and exercise or with weight loss surgery.

I did a lot of research, and I even started to go through the process for qualifying for the surgery.

But I weighed my personal pros and cons and realized I have not given diet and exercise a honest try... I should try to do it fully on my own before surgery... that was 54 pounds ago! I lost weight but I gained my life back!

Focusing on myself and my own needs was scary at first but I am loving myself these days and the results are unmistakable. 5 Dress Sizes.

I have lived in a fat person's world. I know a lot of people who had surgery, and some people embraced the tool that helped them lose weight with exercise and diet and other people got a smaller stomach but never changed the mental about over eating and gained all the weight back.

I made the right choice for me. But weight was a symptom of my issues not the real problem.

You have an amazing attitude. I wish you all the best. I have found MFP is the best tool. It allows me to see exactly what I'm putting in my body and that dose of reality helped me so much. Since I first started this topic, I've lost 9 lbs and 3 inches. I was never considering surgery for myself, but I know many people struggle with the decision. I would suggest that everyone try all other options first. This type of surgery and the rapid weight loss it provides is something your body may never fully recover from. I've seen this first hand with friends and family members. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck to us all. :smile:
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I personally thought my family member could've lost the old fashioned way - meaning diet and exercise. However, they chose the lazy way out. They still don't eat good or even exercise.

Oh you think? Beautiful! Are you a doctor? Have you evaluated their physical and psychological conditions? Do you know obesity is actually a disease? Did you know people who have WLS put the weight back on after 2 years if they don't eat right and/or exercise?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think most anyone is capable of losing the weight and not resorting to surgery. I feel strongly that if I can do it, MOST anyone can. Those who don't, simply lack the will power in most instances.