Yogurt for the first time

Options
Oh my gosh, it's disgusting! It's so insanely bitter. I thought it would have more of a cottage cheese taste. HOW do you get passed the bitterness?!?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bitter? Check the expiry date. Natural yogurt will have an acidic taste. Most people don't eat it without any addons, though. I just had Turkish yoghurt with pecans and dates, and that was heaven!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Were you eating plain yoghurt or flavoured? I only ever get flavoured. If you still don't like it flavoured and with add ons (fruit, granola, etc) then maybe it's just not for you.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I sweeten mine or get pre-sweetened flavors. I also add peanut powder and or dark cocoa powder w/ butter and vanilla. I do use savory plain Greek yogurt as sour cream or a salad dressing base, tho.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Add a sweetener. I use honey (9-10 grams per 175 grams of Greek yogurt) most of the time, though chocolate syrup works, too. If you don't like plain, get flavored yogurts. Vanilla is safe to try unless you hate vanilla.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, it's disgusting! It's so insanely bitter. I thought it would have more of a cottage cheese taste. HOW do you get passed the bitterness?!?

Can you be a bit more specific as to what sort of yoghurt it was?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @dominette3168

Different brands can taste very different...what brand did you try out? Also curious as others if you ate plain or flavored also if it was Greek or regular yogurt you tried? I've definitely tasted bitter yogurt and it wasn't expired or anything it was the brand/type. I've tried some European ones (those to me were the more bitter/tart ones) the US puts far more sugar in most foods than other other Countries so it was quite a shock when I tasted it. My palate wasn't prepared. :laugh:

I imagine tasting something like yogurt for the first time and having a mind picture of it possibly tasting more cottage cheese was a shock when it didn't! :#

I'm off to the gym now but I'll pick up this convo when I get back. :wink:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and yogurt have a different level of acid so they taste different.
    Did you get regular yogurt or Greek yogurt? Plain or flavored?
    Try regular flavored yogurt, different brands or add fruit/sweeteners.
    I like Greek Gods Honey flavor yogurt. I am not bothered by fermented/sour type foods though.

You don't have to force yourself to eat yogurt. Eat cottage cheese if you prefer. You could blend the cottage cheese if you wanted something without lumps.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Greek vanilla is ok but not a fan of yogurt
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Well what kind did you eat?! I promise there is good yogurt out there! If you had the plain kind it will not be sweet at all unless you go for Noosa plain.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of sweetened yogurts out there, especially the ones with fruit or fruit flavors, such as the classic Yoplait brands and their supermarket knockoffs. Those were pretty much all you could get in the US until a few years ago, since it was believed US consumers wouldn't go for a "traditional" style yogurt. Even the plain yogurt was pretty mild tasting.

The "greek style" yogurts that have become more popular keep more of the acidic cultured flavor and the higher protein content is a plus. There's still plenty of sweetened options, but the sweetness is complementing the acidic flavor instead of covering it up.

Yogurt makes a good source of fats and protein. But, as with all things, if you don't like it don't eat it.
  • AnikaNck
    AnikaNck Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try adding fresh fruit if you're determined to find it palatable :-)
    I would be careful with the flavored varieties, they tend to have a lot of sugar, but I'm sure there are some low sugar varities out there somewhere.
    Options
    Bitter? Check the expiry date. Natural yogurt will have an acidic taste. Most people don't eat it without any addons, though. I just had Turkish yoghurt with pecans and dates, and that was heaven!

Also this! Make sure it wasn't rotten!
  • Xvapor
    Options
    Plain Yogurt is terrible ... as he described it sounds normal
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If it's plain/unflavored yogurt, I'm not surprised - I find plain yogurt to be a lot like eating sour cream (in fact, that's my only use for plain yogurt - as a sour cream substitute).
    I would be careful with the flavored varieties, they tend to have a lot of sugar, but I'm sure there are some low sugar varities out there somewhere.
    I'm eating strawberry flavored Oikos Triple Zero right this moment. 14g carbs, 6g fiber, 6g sugar per serving. I don't consider that a lot of sugar.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    AnikaNck wrote: »
    Try adding fresh fruit if you're determined to find it palatable :-)

Sugar-free yogurt is a thing. :)
  • Xvapor
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar in yogurt you should probably just drink water, eat chicken breast and broccoli
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I eat plain greek yogurt without add-ons (OK, mostly just the occasional extra spoonful while I have the carton open for whatever other purpose, not actually a whole bowl by itself, but I wouldn't do that if I didn't think it was yummy.)

ETA: totally with you on the acidic, not bitter, issue. I'm wondering if some of the people on this thread know what bitter means, when it comes to taste. Coffee is bitter (more or less so, depending on roast, preparation, etc., but if it's supposed to be bitter). Plain (unsweetened) chocolate is bitter. Yogurt is sour/tart/acidic.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »
    If you are worried about sugar in yogurt you should probably just drink water, eat chicken breast and broccoli

That sounds horribly dull! There actually a lot of lower sugar yogurts (some with artificial sweetener some with out) to choose from. You just have to shop around and try new things.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I love regular yogurt but I can't stand Greek yogurt. It's the texture combined with the sour/tart flavor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love all the soured milks. Perhaps for the neophyte if they imagined it is like sour cream....