Gym Question....

Options

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I do watch people at times when I run on the dreadmill. An hour of running gets boring, no matter how good the tunes are in my earbuds. I try not to stare, but observe technique.

Sometimes I find myself zoned out and staring into space and realize there is someone that moved into the area where I'm staring. Always makes me feel uncomfortable to think they thought I was staring at them, especially if they are female. I don't want to be THAT guy at the gym...

If there is someone with incredibly bad form, like these examples:

I couldn't help but stare. I would try to help them out in the proper use of the machines. Once I quit laughing.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I watch and I get watched. I'm one of those that sets up different angles with my tripod and phone trying to record myself. Some people probably think that's vain or a waste of time. My response: I don't care.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gym you go.to. Meat market gyms have more judgemental people, other gyms that have a mix of people are usually better. I go.to.work.out, if someone talks to me and wants help I offer it and I encourage.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    I do watch people at times when I run on the dreadmill. An hour of running gets boring, no matter how good the tunes are in my earbuds. I try not to stare, but observe technique.

Sometimes I find myself zoned out and staring into space and realize there is someone that moved into the area where I'm staring. Always makes me feel uncomfortable to think they thought I was staring at them, especially if they are female. I don't want to be THAT guy at the gym...

If there is someone with incredibly bad form, like these examples:

I couldn't help but stare. I would try to help them out in the proper use of the machines. Once I quit laughing.

These "real life example" videos are in poor taste and the people recording ought to be ashamed. Can't stand that people would record others during their workout just to get a laugh. It's creepy too.

I actually have a sense of humor (despite what the above post would lead people to believe).
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My eyes wander sometimes during sets...their usual targets are people with cool workout clothing/gear. I've discovered more than a few awesome clothing ideas/gym hairstyles from glancing around the gym. Glancing....not pausing long enough for people to notice I'm looking or make eye contact and try to engage me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Leenizi129 wrote: »
    Depends on the gym you go.to. Meat market gyms have more judgemental people, other gyms that have a mix of people are usually better. I go.to.work.out, if someone talks to me and wants help I offer it and I encourage.

Really? I have three gym memberships. One is meat-markety = nice people. One is a 24/7 place = nice people. One is a local rec center = nice people.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Really? I have three gym memberships. One is meat-markety = nice people. One is a 24/7 place = nice people. One is a local rec center = nice people.

100% of the time when I walk up to equipment at the same time as someone (usually a "meaty" man) they tell me I can either work in, or they flat out let me have the equipment first and they wait. And if I ask them to spot me they're usually really awesome and kind/encouraging.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

100% of the time when I walk up to equipment at the same time as someone (usually a "meaty" man) they tell me I can either work in, or they flat out let me have the equipment first and they wait. And if I ask them to spot me they're usually really awesome and kind/encouraging.

Yep. Same. I've never had any problems with "meaty" men in the gym.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

In for meaty men. :wink:
  • quiksylver296
    Options

In for meaty men. :wink:

Agreed!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I always observe and see what other people are doing for exercises, just to get ideas for new exercises to incorporate into my workouts.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    meaty man here... just wanted to say that I'm not so bad.

I'd lift with you.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I was about to wipe off the back extension thing for someone the other day and he was being super nice, like oh you don't have to wipe it off, if you're not done it's fine, (I'm done) ok well just jump in any time....
    I had to tell him I was done 3 times. Much willpower to not tell him to give me his plate and do back extensions til I died. Oh my. :o
    Is this getting weird, or is it just me..? I think I need to be alone now.....
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    meaty man here... just wanted to say that I'm not so bad.

I'd lift with you.

<3
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    I always observe and see what other people are doing for exercises, just to get ideas for new exercises to incorporate into my workouts.

I do the same thing! I'll see someone at the gym and I think what they're doing looks really fun or really cool and it probably comes off judgmentally because I unfortunately sometimes have a resting [expletive] face at the gym!

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    SFarris829 wrote: »
    So for those of you that go to the gym, are you a people watcher? Not in a judgmental way but just in a general observing way. Maybe even comparing them to you or you to them? I was talking with some people over the weekend and they said its not ok to look at people and judge. But its kind of human nature to look at others and make judgments. No don't go be rude/mean to others and voice them. I don't know.... I just feel like that kinda goes along with working out at the gym, being looked at? All opinions welcome! :)

I love watching people. But nah not at the gym. Really bad form.
  • KiaraShay
    KiaraShay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I definitely look around in between sets. People watching for me is normal, I love it lol. Also I like to look around for the people who are "fit" per say and watch their form to try and mimick it. I like to see people do the "unique" workouts. It's kinda watching to learn in a way.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My gym is small and we all pretty much know each other.

This. We know each other, greet each other, will record sets for each other and spot each other.
    I watch and I get watched. I'm one of those that sets up different angles with my tripod and phone trying to record myself. Some people probably think that's vain or a waste of time. My response: I don't care.

Yup. Pretty much every work set for the big three gets recorded and reviewed. Most of the strength athletes do it so it doesn't stick out.