Gym Question....

Options
So for those of you that go to the gym, are you a people watcher? Not in a judgmental way but just in a general observing way. Maybe even comparing them to you or you to them? I was talking with some people over the weekend and they said its not ok to look at people and judge. But its kind of human nature to look at others and make judgments. No don't go be rude/mean to others and voice them. I don't know.... I just feel like that kinda goes along with working out at the gym, being looked at? All opinions welcome! :)

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If I'm resting and there's nothing to do on my phone (how active can social media be at 6am), then I'll have a gander and watch some people but I'm not thinking 'pfft, I can lift more than that'. I'm just looking in their general direction and most likely watching in awe as the dude bangs out twenty pull ups in a row.

I've had the reverse happen when I've stepped out from the rack to do my squat and someone just looked at me. If they were judging, so be it. But they just looked at me for a millisecond and looked away, so it was nothing.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I notice other people on occasion, look around to see who's there if I need someone to spot me or to see if certain equipment is open, but I'm usually too focused on my own tasks to notice other people much.
    If I see that someone is going to do a huge squat/dead/bench I purposely watch them until they complete the lift. I've noticed people do this to me when I record my own lifts too. The regulars typically do the head nod to acknowledge each other when someone walks in. Never feels judgey though.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No, since I'm in my zone.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    My favorite are people that make up exercises. Because the ones that have proven to work for hundreds of years apparently are not good enough.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, I people watch. I go to the gym the same time 4 days a week so we've all become friends or acquaintances. But when I'm on the elliptical or treadmill r doing circuit, I have total focus on that. I listen to tunes and read while I'm on the elliptical so I'm really zoned out of what's going on around me.
  • SFarris829
    SFarris829 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I glad you guys feel the same way as me! There are some people at the gym that I like to watch because they are so fit i like to see what they do to be like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My gym is small and we all pretty much know each other.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I am. I need something to do in between sets since I don't listen to music.

I have an internal running commentary going on at the same time, mostly puzzling over why someone is doing an exercise the way they are (form issue or legit reason), wishing I were at the point where I can lift/do that much, or being interested in the rehab going on (there's a lot of physical rehab work at my gym).

And, yes, if I see something ridiculous/awkward like someone turning and running into a wall, I am going to have a mental laugh over it while I make sure the person's OK.

Many people are ridiculous about the whole 'do not judge' bit. Looking at someone and thinking that their form is off or their workout clothes are unattractive is just an observation, not a condemnation of their worth as a human being. If it were, I'd be convinced that I'm worthless since I know damn well I look like a total frump in my 20yr old gym clothes and don't kid myself that my form is particularly great. I don't have anyone to give me pointers, so I could be a hair's breadth from killing myself with the barbell and not even know.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm pretty much into what I'm doing. I usually discreetly (of course) check people out when they squat to see if they're squatting to or below parallel (which most the time they're not).
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I go in the morning, so there's not that many people there. If I happen to be running on a treadmill during the weekend though, my eyes wander. And as someone mentioned - I can't help looking at the people making up exercises, specifically doing squats on the thigh machines. I saw two people in a week doing this!! How is this a thing!?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    My favorite are people that make up exercises. Because the ones that have proven to work for hundreds of years apparently are not good enough.

Just out of curiousity.. how do you know it is made up? What are some examples? I mean unless it is an unsafe use of equipment or something.

Some of the moves I do are different/bizarre.. and I always find new variations and improvements to add to my routine.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm a people-watcher anyways and like to be aware of my surroundings, so the gym is really no different. Usually just noticing and not staring. Stares are reserved for those who are very loud (the treadmill plodders, those who drop weights, the yellers) and those with horrible/dangerous form.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Ive been at my gym for three years. The regulars give the head nod acknolging each otherer. I listen to my music on the cardio floor. The only time I notice people is on the treadmill. I love it when people step up on the macines in line with mine. Some get competitive. The race is on.
    The weight floor Im focusing on my workout. I admit I people watch out of bordome. Just quick glances. I dont want to be creepy
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well you're in a confined space with other people so of course they're going to look at other people and notice them. But from someone who's been going to gyms for a very, very long time now, I don't think anyone is judging anyone in a negative way most of the time. When I see people at the gym I mostly think, good for you for taking the time out of your day to come and do something to better yourself! Of course there are people who are going to judge occasionally, I've probably even done it myself a time or two that realizing it, but that's human nature and doesn't happen I would say 99% of the time. I don't really think you're ever going to be in any type of social situation or environment with other people where people watching or judgment doesn't occur at all.

I actually just posted a topic on this subject right around the time you posted in this same forum lol
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yep.

Just out of curiousity.. how do you know it is made up? What are some examples? I mean unless it is an unsafe use of equipment or something.

Some of the moves I do are different/bizarre.. and I always find new variations and improvements to add to my routine.

+1
    Single leg push downs on the assisted pull up machine are awesome.
    And standing leg curls using the leg extension machine.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm a total creep and will stare at pretty much anyone. Sorry.
    (Not intentionally... I just space out. lol)
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I people watch everywhere. Its fun, people are interesting. At the gym though, I see others do exercises and think, hmm, wonder if I could do that. Depending on what it is will depend on whether I try on my own or suggest to my trainer.

I did feel bad one day for a little boy. I noticed him lifting, obviously just starting, he was like 20. He saw me lift heavier weight (50yo overweight lady) and he went to go for heavier, but it was too heavy. I felt bad, didn't want to intimidate, but I couldn't say anything because it would be like your mom saying it. I have seen that happen a couple of times in other situations too.

This is a lesson though not to compare. I worked very hard and long to be able to lift the weight I do now. I have injuries that make me stay at lower weights for certain exercises (sometimes I wish I could do certain things, but I cant and I know better), I am lifting between 15 and 25 for most exercises, but it took years to get there, so these guys comparing or competing with me when they just started out is not good for them. So people watching is a great way to see what is going on, but you have to take out the judgement. I am usually just impressed that person is in the gym and doing a workout.

FYI, I have also impressed guys when they move to let me get to 5lbs and I go for 20, LOL.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yep.

+1
    Single leg push downs on the assisted pull up machine are awesome.
    And standing leg curls using the leg extension machine.

How about dong a 180 in the power cage with a barbell on your back? That one's fun - especially watching them try to (unsuccessfully) thread the bar between the uprights.

I've only seen that one once, and had to wonder if the person actually did it that way on purpose or if they backed under the bar, realized they wanted to be the other way 'round, and thought that a quasi-windmill maneuver would be easier than just setting the bar back on the cups, turning around, and then getting set facing the proper direction?