Vegan???

Options

Replies

• DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Humans have consumed dairy for thousands of years and generally managed to maintain healthy body weights until very recently. I don't think dairy is the reason people are struggling with their weight.

OK, the way I see it is that you all can argue with me and spam this girl's post… Or you can do your research like I keep saying. And don't stop just because you hear something criticized. If someone criticized your weight-loss would you stop?
    Not to mention, it's not just about the weight loss with dairy but it's also about the cancer-causing agent casein in it. Again, seriously! Watch Forks Over Knives! You may look good on the outside, but what's going on on the inside with your health? For myself all I know is that my cholesterol levels, my blood pressure, and my weight have all reached normal or begin to decrease since becoming a vegan.
    Catch you all later! Do your research! B)

My dad also successfully lowered his cholesterol and blood pressure being vegan, so I do agree it can happen.

Forks over Knives however is an extremely biased documentary, like all of them on Netflix. There is propaganda on both sides. Eat good whole food, and if you want to eat dairy and meat, great, if you don't, great.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Why do people think eggs are dairy?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I have no answer for you. I've always wondered the same thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

maybe because here they are sold in the dairy aisle? and some of them come from dairy farms? I dont know otherwise lol
  • cwolfman13
    Options

maybe because here they are sold in the dairy aisle? and some of them come from dairy farms? I dont know otherwise lol

I bet that's it...
  • christiantripodi
    christiantripodi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My hopes for this post was to really learn how becoming a vegan impacted people's health. I have always been the type to do a lot of research about whatever I put into my body, but I come across a lot of studies and articles that suggest different things when it comes to eating animal based foods so I try to keep an open mind. So, I decided to come on here to learn about individual experiences with becoming vegan.

I understand the deficiencies when it comes to being a vegan (like I said, I try to do my research) but I have yet to find a potential deficiency that can't be incorporated into my diet with plant based foods.

I appreciate all the posts - very interesting to hear different opinions!
  • christiantripodi
    christiantripodi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a lot of people believe there's no nutritional benefit. I've done a lot of research and have seen a lot of evidence suggesting that animal based food is actually more harmful for your body than beneficial.

Of course there are nutrients that you'll become deficient from being a vegan, but I don't think it's as difficult to find them in your diet as people make it seem.

I barely eat meat already, I eat chicken occasionally. I do eat eggs quite often but that's about it for dairy.

re: Statement in bold - That is highly unlikely.

Omnivourous diets can be bad for you and vegetarian or vegan diets be better for you, but the opposite can also be true. To say that en mass animal based food is bad is a bold claim and most likely reflects poor data sources rather than "evidence".

What I'm really trying to say is that in all of my research I have yet to see any evidence SUGGESTING that animal based products are BENEFICIAL. I've seen research that suggests animal based products aren't necessarily harmful, but not much research suggesting that it's actually essential to incorporate into your diet. But on the flip side, there's definitely a lot of research that supports animal based being harmful for our health... especially dairy, of course.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    [not important]
  • cwolfman13
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My hopes for this post was to really learn how becoming a vegan impacted people's health. I have always been the type to do a lot of research about whatever I put into my body, but I come across a lot of studies and articles that suggest different things when it comes to eating animal based foods so I try to keep an open mind. So, I decided to come on here to learn about individual experiences with becoming vegan.

I understand the deficiencies when it comes to being a vegan (like I said, I try to do my research) but I have yet to find a potential deficiency that can't be incorporated into my diet with plant based foods.

I appreciate all the posts - very interesting to hear different opinions!

B-12...you have to supplement that...you aren't going to get that through plant based food. Also, DHA and EPA Omega 3 fatty acids...they aren't available in a plant based diet...you will only get ALA and you can't supplement DHA and EPA because that would come from fish oil which would be obviously off limits.

There's nothing wrong with being vegan...most vegans I know are vegan for ethical purposes and also forgo wearing leather, wool, or any other animal product...it's not just diet. The issue that many have that tends to come with veganism is the overly preachy attitude and idea that it is the healthiest way to eat...there are many ways of eating that are very healthy.

The China Study was mentioned here...if you look at the raw data and analysis of the raw data performed by other scientists, the data doesn't support to conclusions in the book...
    For example, Campbell fails to mention the county of Tuoli in China. The folks in Tuoli ate 45% of their diet as fat, 134 grams of animal protein each day (twice as much as the average American), and rarely ate vegetables or other plant foods. Yet, according to the China Study data, they were extremely healthy with low rates of cancer and heart disease; healthier, in fact, than many of the counties that were nearly vegan.

https://chriskresser.com/rest-in-peace-china-study/

Again, nothing wrong with being vegan for ethical reasons...and while I am omnivorous, a significant part of my diet is plant based...I've corrected all of my previously bad blood work and easily dropped 40 Lbs...I'm pretty stinkin' healthy and fit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find it interesting that a lot of people believe there's no nutritional benefit. I've done a lot of research and have seen a lot of evidence suggesting that animal based food is actually more harmful for your body than beneficial.

Of course there are nutrients that you'll become deficient from being a vegan, but I don't think it's as difficult to find them in your diet as people make it seem.

I barely eat meat already, I eat chicken occasionally. I do eat eggs quite often but that's about it for dairy.

re: Statement in bold - That is highly unlikely.

Omnivourous diets can be bad for you and vegetarian or vegan diets be better for you, but the opposite can also be true. To say that en mass animal based food is bad is a bold claim and most likely reflects poor data sources rather than "evidence".

What I'm really trying to say is that in all of my research I have yet to see any evidence SUGGESTING that animal based products are BENEFICIAL. I've seen research that suggests animal based products aren't necessarily harmful, but not much research suggesting that it's actually essential to incorporate into your diet. But on the flip side, there's definitely a lot of research that supports animal based being harmful for our health... especially dairy, of course.

I suspect that is because you are looking in circles that support only veganism or plant based. If you researched LCHF, you'd find a plethora of data supporting diets high in fats, especially PUFA and MUFAs to support improvements across all metabolic markers. Additionally, there is loads of research on fish. Its also why if you look at some of the healthiest and longest living countries, their diet is largely rice and fish. Or in terms of the Mediterranean diet, its fish, oils and a variety of vegetables.

The biggest problem with most red meat studies is they dont eliminate factors such as obesity. And most recently there was a study on SFA and how it did not impact metabolic markers ecen when a diet was higher in red meat and dairy.

In all reality, the bigger drivers are obesity, inactivity and genetics. You can eat vegan and still be severely unhealthy. You can eat meat and dairy and be extremely healthy. One's diet does not automatically improve things, with the exception of some metabolic/autoimmune disorders.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but am interested in nutrition, in general. I'm surprised at the people saying vegans are unhealthy or don't get enough protein because Ive seen so much information on healthy sustainable plant based diets. Watch documentaries like Food Choices, Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, etc to see plant based diets are healthy as long as you don't think French fries are the only thing you can eat.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    kikicooks wrote: »
    I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but am interested in nutrition, in general. I'm surprised at the people saying vegans are unhealthy or don't get enough protein because Ive seen so much information on healthy sustainable plant based diets. Watch documentaries like Food Choices, Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, etc to see plant based diets are healthy as long as you don't think French fries are the only thing you can eat.

Where did people say that vegans are unhealthy? One's diet is what they make of it...a vegan diet can be as healthy or unhealthy as any other diet.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Sorry, maybe the word unhealthy was wrong, but some said it was hard to get all your nutrients as a vegan and dont go vegan for nutrition, do it for the animals.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sorry, maybe the word unhealthy was wrong, but some said it was hard to get all your nutrients as a vegan and dont go vegan for nutrition, do it for the animals.

I think the point is that vegans tend to have to be a bit more vigilant in order to get the nutrition that they need, whereas a varied omnivorous diet does tend to provide a broader range of nutrients without really thinking about it than a vegan diet.
  • cwolfman13
    edited March 2017
    Options

I think most people are referring to certain deficiencies like B-12 if you don't supplement. You are only going to get B-12 will animal products...if you're vegan, you have to supplement. I also mentioned EPA and DHA Omega 3...not available on a plant based diet.

Beyond that I would also suggest that it's harder in the sense that you have to have a greater knowledge of nutrition to get adequate protein and other nutrients. One of my best gym buddies was vegan for awhile (a little over a year) and suffered from severe anemia and also wasn't getting enough protein to support his health as he simply didn't have the requisite nutritional knowledge to make the right choices, nor was it of particular interest to him to learn how...so harder in terms of needing to kind of know what you're doing, not that you can't get the nutrition. It's easier to get proper nutrition with a wide and varied diet...because you're simply eating a wider range of foods...matters of nutrition are always complicated to some extent by elimination regardless of what that diet is.

If you look at the current raw vegan trend, there are a lot of deficiencies that are warned about...again, not that you can't get the nutrition, it's just more difficult and you have to have a broader knowledge base of proper nutrition...and many people simply don't.

I think the comment for not doing it for nutrition was more in regards to the fact that you can eat a very healthy diet and not be vegetarian...I eat meat (mostly fish) but my diet is also substantially plant oriented...the fact that I eat meat doesn't make me inherently unhealthier than a vegan. The primary reason people go vegan is for ethical reasons that generally go beyond diet..they don't wear leather or wool or anything else that comes from an animal, etc...
  • TappinTamara
    TappinTamara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for 4 years this month. I became so after reading Eat to Live. I had gotten to a point that I rarely ate meat, but did eat a lot of cheese and eggs. The reason I chose to follow the 6 week plan laid out in Dr. Furman's book was because of several health problems in my family-mother died of a heart attack from chemo she was taking for ovarian cancer at 55, father died of a heart attack at 65. Maternal grandmother suffered from heart issues, maternal grandfather dropped dead of a heart attack at either 42 or 44 years old. I seriously wanted to do all that I could on my part in an effort to have better health and hopefully live to see my children marry and have children of their own. So...I have followed a plant based diet for that amount of time allowing myself the occasional non-vegan items when I chose to do so. This has helped me not to feel "guilty" about things. I make choices and often find that most stuff is just not worth "cheating" (for lack of a better word) for. I eat a beautiful array of healthy, delicious foods every day, lots of it. I initially lost about 20 pounds on that eating plan even though I wasn't really trying to lose weight. Over the years, I have maintained that loss within about a 5-10 pound range. I take a multi-vitamin daily and a super B complex to get my source of B-12. I am not sure what my starting cholesterol level was but as of my most recent yearly check-up just last week, my TOTAL cholesterol was 122, which certainly puts me at very low risk of heart or stroke related issues. I also eliminated caffeine for some issues I was personally having. That helps with alkalinity in the body which can cause cancers. I'm not guaranteed to live longer, however, I know I'm doing all I can by eating a plant based diet and avoiding processed foods, GMO foods, etc. It is the processed food and addition of GMO's to our SAD that has made America overweight. The foods and milk people eat and drink now is very different from those our parents and grandparents were raised on, and even a few of us, as GMO's weren't introduced until the mid-90's. Ultimately, you have to decide what works best for you and also what your body tells you. I don't think a vegan diet works for everyone. I suggest you do a 6 week cleanse to try it and then ease yourself back into good meats and organic dairy if you should decide it's not right for you. Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions about it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    That helps with alkalinity in the body

nothing helps with alkalinity in the body,your body manages a proper pH level,you cant change that.if your body gets out of whack with your pH,then you will either end up in the hospital or worse. cleanses are also a load of bullhockey.your organs cleanse your body just fine,if not the same thing would happen as with the pH levels.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You might try looking at the criticism the China Study received from the scientific community...the data doesn't actually back up the conclusions...Campbell cherry picked to arrive at conclusions that he was already biased towards so he could write a book.

Like I said, everything needs research! Forks Over Knives ties together the China study very well, and I would highly suggest watching that video. It's not fear mongering and honestly the research that I've done has led me to believe what they say! Especially in regards to dairy – The only animals that should be eating dairy are cows, as it is only just bovine growth hormone. Unless you want to be a 400 pound calf

Forks over knives is a fear mongering "documentary" (I hesitate to call it that) that cherry picks questionable research to make its point.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You might try looking at the criticism the China Study received from the scientific community...the data doesn't actually back up the conclusions...Campbell cherry picked to arrive at conclusions that he was already biased towards so he could write a book.

Like I said, everything needs research! Forks Over Knives ties together the China study very well, and I would highly suggest watching that video. It's not fear mongering and honestly the research that I've done has led me to believe what they say! Especially in regards to dairy – The only animals that should be eating dairy are cows, as it is only just bovine growth hormone. Unless you want to be a 400 pound calf

Forks over knives is a fear mongering "documentary" (I hesitate to call it that) that cherry picks questionable research to make its point.

And the China study has been thoroughly discredited, I believe.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

People say to go vegan for the animals because there is no evidence that people will be healthier if they eliminate animal products from their diet.

There is a lot of evidence that doing things like eating more vegetables, getting enough fiber, etc will improve health for many people. But these things can be done by non-vegans. The likely reason why some people feel better when they eliminate animal products from their diet is because they happen to be implementing changes that would be beneficial for anyone.