Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Losing Weight as a stay at home parent or a working parent?

Options
13»

Replies

• fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Let see... I've been a SAHM, a working mom, a single mom and now a work at home mom. Each one had their benefits and their challenges, but that list changed with each phase. But I also managed to lose weight in each one.

As a SAHM, getting workouts was actually easy for me. I used to put my son to sleep after supper by sticking him in the stroller and going for a nice 2-3 mile walk after supper. Nap time was also a great time to sneak in a good 45-60 min workout. I just popped in my favorite workout tape and go. Most of the time, I could even sneak in a quick shower before they woke up. Now eating was a different matter. I felt so busy getting them feed, that when it came to what I would eat, I was opting for quick and easy and would wolf it down so it wouldn't get cold. I also snacked like crazy cause I was soo bored being stuck in the house all the time. But when I put my mind to it, I managed to lose about 40lbs.

As a working mom, eating became easier. My snacking almost vanished because work kept me busy and content enough that I wasn't looking to food to fill a void. At first, I did way to much take out and fast food to help alleviate my time crunch, but 30lbs and an out of control budget put an end to that. I quickly figured out meal planning was a MUST, because I didn't have the time to run to the store. Eating healthier choices was my way of trying to lead my kids habits by example. Getting workouts in became tougher, because finding free time was hard. But, eventually I found a nice routine I could do at the corporate gym on my lunch break, plus I used my kids as my excuse to get out of house and go do fun active stuff. Again, I managed to lose the 30lbs that had creeped on and kept it off for 6 years until my divorce.

Single mom was probably the hardest for me. I packed back on 30lbs thanks to the depression and just the major life upheaval. I now had even less time for me, because I was spending so much time and energy transporting the kids everywhere, dealing with the ex and just getting use to life on my own again. The budget was soo tight at first, that even healthy food options became hard to squeeze in and working out fell of the face of the planet. But as life settled into a routine, I started getting my budget under control and then started to get everything else back under control. The weight started creeping off, though it was much, much slower then before. I still managed to drop 20lbs.

Then, for various reasons/excuses, I packed on the 20lbs then added another 15 when I switched to a work at home schedule. While I all of a sudden had a lot more free time, I did a terrible job at taking advantage of it and instead became a slug. It was shocking to find out how inactive I had become because I didn't have to go anywhere (I dropped from an average of 12000 steps a day all the way down to 2500 steps per day) But I'm finally getting my act together and I'm now down 16lbs.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I have been both a working mom and a SAHM. I lost weight and got fit in each case. I also gained all the weight back in each case. When I wanted to commit, I did it, despite the challenges.

@Dnarules Exactly the same here, plus I've lost 80 lbs and kept it off for a year since my son left home.

Kids are quite happy being pushed in a pram for a while when they're little. Then they're fun to exercise with. Plus kids live in a community of carers, in many cases.

This question (for some stressed-out people) assumes children are a total drain on one person's fitness.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have been a SAHM for relatively short periods of a year here and there, and a working mom. Everything is harder when working, cannot imagine a single thing that looked harder when being a SAHM. Never understood SAHMs who claim how hard X or Y is, working parents still have exactly the same responsibilities plus they go to work. Unless a SAHM has no means of transportation and lives in the middle of nowhere, in which case I would imagine that having no interaction with adults might becoming depressing soon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    SAH is "easier" because you have more control over your food & schedule. "Working " mom's have work obligations 8-12 hr per day plus all the parenting &home duties
    --an objective, logical non-mom perspective!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »

I guess though that I had never thought working in the home or out of the home made a difference in weight loss and fitness, as both circumstances can make it difficult to stick to your goals at times.

i guess the op listing her own answer to the bold part didn't . . . idk, change the bold part for you? i didn't see the original thread you mention, but it seems to me like you could lurk and learn there, couldn't you?

to answer your question, weight loss was irrelevant when i was at home with my kid because i didn't start picking up weight until later on. but the time for activity thing . . . absolutely harder back in those days. it didn't happen.

you know how people are constantly saying 'find something that you'll enjoy' and 'it has to fit in with your life or you'll quit'? so in the absence of the whole mother//work factor, it seems there's acknowledgement that fit and enjoyment are not only valid factors, but significant ones.

yet somehow, as soon as someone invokes a restriction like parenting or poverty, it's like people blank those things out. and then when someone says 'yeah, i know i could do x in my living room but i just can't maintain it' the scoldy preacher comes out in a lot of people. i can completely understand the op wanting to bypass all that if she could. even at best, i find uninformed or misplaced/unsolicited opinions to be irrelevant when there's something that i want to solve. and at worst, i can find them a lot worse than that.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have kept up with this thread...here is my take...it is only my opinion...

Each "group" of people have their difficulties to face when trying to lose weight...get fit. I doesn't matter if you are a SAH mom...working mom...childless...single...married...old...young...male...female. We all have obstacles to overcome. That is what life is all about isn't it...having obstacles and figuring out ways around them.

I have this pet peeve...people over 50 saying how hard it is to lose weight when you are old. I am old (64)...I find it no more difficult than someone in their 20s or 30s. Different maybe...but no more difficult.

An example...my son (30) and I (64) are both trying to lose weight. In the past 3 months we have lost almost exactly the same amount of weight...23lbs each. I am a stay at home old person...he is a young office worker. We both have had obstacles (the obstacles vary)...we both have had to work at it. The portion control has been easier for me but the exercise has been easier for him.

I think sometimes we all have a need to be a special snowflake and belong to some "Special Snowflake Society".

IMO...Humans have a built in determination/capability to overcome obstacles...if they want to bad enough.

I struggle sometimes (well quite often) with my weight loss/fitness. Each and every time if I am honest with myself it is because I decide to have a pity party instead of just doing what I know that I need to do.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    @Annie_01 you wrote such a nice and true post!
    I completely agree with you.
    I have a PCOS and low thyroid, two conditions that are supposed to be hard for weight loss, but when I discipline myself I loose weight pretty easily. My biggest problem is struggling to stay focused for a longer period of time.

I don't have kids, but I've tried both to work at the office and to work at home. Both options had it's struggles and obstacles. Both options gave me reasons to be happy and to feel self pity.

Self pity is one of the most poisonous state of mind, whatever you do, whether you are a rock star, SAHM, single parent, CEO of Google, it doesn't really matter.
    If you let yourself into self pity it's such a huge force pulling you down that it's really hard to get your life back.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Im sahm. First few months were REALLY tough just adjusting to being at home after 10 years work, and not having time to cook due to feeding, hubby bringing junk, and food at fingertips. Ended up youtube exercise. Now its easier with an active toddler. I have time to cook from scratch, im living in a more walkable suburb, and food is behind cupboards not out on display like last house. Next baby all junk food is straight in the bin.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have done both. I was home with 2 young kids when I began, and I now have 2 older kids, an ex-husband and a full time job and a long commute. I personally find it easier to cut when I'm at work all day without the temptation and boredom of being home. I require less will power at work because I can't just walk over to the fridge and grab a snack if I haven't brought one.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm both. I do EVERYTHING in the house and outside, plus take care of all my daughter's stuff like karate, band, and any other activities, plus work part time as PT and during lunch hours at my DD's school.
    And honestly, if one organizes their time correctly, it's NOT that hard IMO. I believe that a lot of people don't organize their time correctly and procrastinate a lot on getting things done. That's where they lose the time they don't have.
    All this and I STILL have time to take care of myself and workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I dont agree 100% with this. As a mum you need time to be mindful, to sleep and look after yourself. Being too caught up on being perfectly organised and doing everything doesnt work for me. My bubs needs chill out time and so do I. I think our western world focuses too much on productivity and not on relationships like other cultures. I like living a slower paced life.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of two, 11 and 6. I have done both, so I definitely respect that being a SAHM is not as easy everyone thinks... am currently a working mom. I'm sure this isn't true for everyone but I find that pretty much everything I tried to do was easier as a SAHM. Now that I work, I still do all the things I did as a SAHM, but with a whole lot less time to do it in. As a SAHM I was able to exercise during the day and wasn't nearly as stressed so I didn't have the temptation to stress eat like I do now. Also, for me I find all the food people bring to work a lot harder to resist than anything I have at home (which I am in control of). Plus the huge hit to my free time makes cooking healthy meals a lot harder and exponentially increases the temptation to just order pizza.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Do you know who really has it tough? People who don't have control of what or how much they eat. ;)

Everyone else is making food choices several times a day. My Stress Management teacher was on a lecture about stress, health, causes of death, and eventually got around to the not-popular idea that people choose to be overweight. I doubt people actually want to be fat but choosing to be ignorant or apathetic is still a choice. I am sure no one here became overweight because they trip and fall mouth first into food they didn't intend on eating. I also believe there has ever been an easier time to become healthy. Around here you can get full meals ready that you just have to heat up on the stove. Birdseye is my favorite. You get protein, vegetables, noodles, sauce all included. You may have to add a small bit of water but it is only about 10 minutes of work. There are also different varieties of pre-cut mixed vegetables in the local produce sections. You don't have to cook from scratch to be healthy and/or lose weight. Thinking that you do makes it so much more difficult. My kids had microwaved leftovers, peas from the garden box, and crackers with hummus for dinner. I had a ham and cheese sandwich because that is what I was craving and it fit my calories. One of my planned dinners for the upcoming week involves mixing salad shrimp into a southwest salad kit and putting it in tortillas. 2 minute dinner, no cooking involved.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should clarify... I do not eat uncontrollably. FYI, I am not even overweight. I would like to lose fat, so that is why I am on MFP.
    I was however just sharing that I found all of this easier as a SAHM, and listing the reasons why. I believe that was the question that was asked in the OP.
    As far as cooking from scratch, I do feel more satiated when I cook because it feels less like I am on a "diet". This is definitely psychological and it happens to be just how I feel. If someone else feels differently, we'll... everybody has to do what works for them.
  • carrieannhitchen
    carrieannhitchen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally found it harder being a SAH mum as there was just too much temptation. I now walk to work and have an active job as a chef. I take a healthy lunch with me so can't really cheat. I also have a few co-workers who are very involved in keeping fit so they help keep me on track .