Keto !!!

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OK last response so I can have some time under my rock.

Vegans have a very rigid diet Never said they didn't. My whole point was I don't see folks getting their undies in a knot over it! It's live and let live until it comes to keto. Then there comes all the so restrictive, eliminating a whole macro comments when for a good portion of people it's a reduction according to their preference and health needs or whatever makes them feel better physically. I don't get why that is so different from other ways of eating. Because there isn't an "ethical reason" behind it? Someone's curiosity is peaked so they seek information whether it's weight loss or other issues and here it all comes!

It's possible I've missed a ton of "vegan/vegetarian don't eat this way threads" ... so there is that.

Pretty much any thread with the OP saying "thinking about going vegetarian" or "thinking about going vegan" are going to have numerous people asking why and otherwise giving them crap about it...or simply telling them it's not going to default to weight loss, etc...

And vegans tend to be extremely preachy...I'm not sure who's more religious in the dietary views...keto followers or vegans...they're both right up there in terms of there "this is the healthiest way to eat" zealotry and of course both veganism and keto cure pretty much every disease known to mankind...

ETA: in either case, a lot of people think that the diet itself...whether it's keto or vegan or vegetarian is just going to default to weight loss...what most people point out is that it's not going to and that it's not necessary...in particular, there are loads of people who think you have to cut carbs to lose weight...I don't see anything wrong with educating them otherwise and then if they still want to do it, they can. I was one of those people once upon a time and I was a miserable pile of *kitten* on low carb...but I thought that's what I had to do to drop weight. Now I know better and I can cut weight without being miserable.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    phrobbert wrote: »
    I've been on a keto diet since the beginning of March. I'm supposed to be doing on a 5 days on/1 day off basis but still staying within my set MFP calorie limit so I get a steady weight loss. Working out so far, but I actually have more trouble on my days off than any of the others. I spent my last one wandering around the supermarket for about 15 minutes just trying to find something that wouldn't skyrocket over my daily allowance in the first mouthful (I only have a microwave at work so preparing stuff isn't practical). For my next I think I'll just stick to my usual pile of steak & eggs and just top up my carbs with Haribo or something.

Anyway, I don't really have recipes to share. Sometimes I put soy on my steak, sometimes not. Sometimes I put sriracha on everything, sometimes not. I eat so much scrambled eggs it's starting to erode my sanity, but I really hate making decisions about things I find boring (like making meals) so I keep on keepin' on.

@phrobbert I toss frozen protein and some veggies and a little smart balance in a Pyrex and then microwave at work. Sometimes beans or rice, but if you're LC that may not be your thing.

Frozen broccoli, squash, chicken. Frozen spinach, artichoke hearts and cod. Lots of combos! Easy to weigh, just toss the Pyrex on the food scale and then "tare" in between. Also, bone broth heated up in the microwave is good. 9 grams of protein per cup.

Put the protein in between the veggies. That will keep it moist.
  • Niczka96
    Niczka96 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Keto Diet Blog is where I'm getting recipes from so far.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Niczka96 wrote: »
    I started keto 5 days ago and I'm enjoying the many effects.
    My energy is balanced all day long, I don't get fuzzy/tired brain after lunch (very important on days when I work surgeries), no cravings (like someone brought fresh bagels and cream cheese to work and I didn't care - normally I'd be all over it), can now do an early-morning fasted workout without feeling weak and sluggish, I wake up feeling ready for my day every day so far, no mood swings and I'm 5 pounds down from my early March weight.
    I still get hungry but I'm not "hunger crazed" like I would get. Of course it's only been 5 days and I'm still waiting for the keto flu to hit me but so far I'm very happy with what I'm doing. I range between 1-10% net carbs, mostly about 5%.

If you increase electrolytes, the "keto flu" (electrolyte imbalance) need never hit. Only those of us who did not believe, or know, that we needed 3000-5000mg of salt per day get it.

Congrats on your success so far. :)
  • Niczka96
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you increase electrolytes, the "keto flu" (electrolyte imbalance) need never hit. Only those of us who did not believe, or know, that we needed 3000-5000mg of salt per day get it.

Congrats on your success so far. :)

I've read that somewhere too and so I'm drinking about 2 liters natural mineral water daily (imported from Poland from a purifying plant/retreat - I've been there: pretty awesome stuff). It's loaded with balanced sodium, potassium, chloride and magnesium.
    It's been almost a week and I'm still good...
  • Niczka96
    Options
    Does anyone experience slower muscle recovery on keto?
    The post-leg-day soreness is rough the past couple of days. I was sick with a really strong flu for 6 weeks and just got back to the gym so technically it could be just because of the long break. I typically, however, don't experience soreness like this even after a break. My strength was not affected by the break at all, I even resisted fatigue longer (thank you keto) but this soreness is the worst it has been in a long time.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The post-leg-day soreness is rough the past couple of days. I was sick with a really strong flu for 6 weeks and just got back to the gym so technically it could be just because of the long break. I typically, however, don't experience soreness like this even after a break. My strength was not affected by the break at all, I even resisted fatigue longer (thank you keto) but this soreness is the worst it has been in a long time.

Myself, no. And the workouts I do are often pretty heavy on the squats/lunges/dips, not to mention the bashing my calves, glutes & quads get when drumming. Are you warming up/down adequately? One instructor swears by hamstring swings for DOMS in the legs in order to increase blood flow (as in, just swinging your legs until your feel your hamstrings engage at the upper end).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I have found L-glutamine helps with that somewhat.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have a question ... seriously. Why is it folks say keto is soooo restrictive while it's not said to vegans or vegetarians?

Vegetarians and vegans aren't eliminating an entire macro-nutrient. Not eating any animal products would be too restrictive for me, but not as restrictive as eliminating and entire macro. I frequently eat vegetarian...I get plenty of all three macro-nutrients when I do so.

I just find this a double standard. Keto folks eat carbs just not a lot of them. Leafy greens, nuts, berries etc. Some eat more some eat less. So they havent totally eliminated a macro at all. Just reduced it to their preference. I mean sure there are some that take it to zero carb but seems to me most do get some carbs. But others totally eliminate meat and even though its not a macro it's still an elimination and that is apparently ok. They don't get hassled about it because ... reasons.

I think you will find vegans get hassled all the time. For the same reason some on keto do. The majority of people don't care whether you are vegan, vegetarian, keto or whatever. What they do mind is the fanatics who continually preach their diets, believing that their way is more superior, or the only healthy diet. Personally, if the diet works for you, is healthy, balanced and you are meeting all of your nutritional needs in a manner that you can sustain long term then that is brilliant. Just recognise that this will look different for others.