Looking to change

Options
Hello everyone I don't even know where to begin. I have been overweight for the majority of my life never took the side effects seriously and basically began to hate myself. The hatred has gotten to a point where I have contemplated suicide because I am not happy with myself and don't even really know how to correct my situation.

I have cut out soda almost completely for the past 6months and drink literally 3litres of water a day. I don't do a lot of exercise since I work full time in an office type job so not much movement involved just infront of a screen the entire day. I usually walk on weekends (mostly Sunday mornings) for a good 20 minutes around the block which is obviously not enough. So I hope that in joining this community I can actually start adjusting my lifestyle and hopefully turn my life around for the better.

Thanks for reading

Replies

• jennyabsheberly
    jennyabsheberly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm stuck behind a screen all day, too. And I work from home, so sometimes the most exercise I get is walking to and from the kitchen or bathroom! My new goal is to make myself go for a walk every day, even if I'm working all day. I'll take a break at the "normal" closing time (5pm) and go for a walk, then come home and make a healthy dinner before I get back to work. Even if I have to work later because of the break I took, I will feel so much better knowing I've done something for myself. Yesterday was my first after work walk and I was inspired to go for 2.65 miles! I'm hoping to keep the momentum and motivation going.
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    mcbeanstr wrote: »
    Hello everyone I don't even know where to begin. I have been overweight for the majority of my life never took the side effects seriously and basically began to hate myself. The hatred has gotten to a point where I have contemplated suicide because I am not happy with myself and don't even really know how to correct my situation.

I have cut out soda almost completely for the past 6months and drink literally 3litres of water a day. I don't do a lot of exercise since I work full time in an office type job so not much movement involved just infront of a screen the entire day. I usually walk on weekends (mostly Sunday mornings) for a good 20 minutes around the block which is obviously not enough. So I hope that in joining this community I can actually start adjusting my lifestyle and hopefully turn my life around for the better.

Thanks for reading

Thanks for reading

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options

Thanks for reading

Firstly, well done on making some positive changes already.

It's not necessary to exercise in order to lose weight, MFP calorie goals are set up to take only your non-exercise activity level into account, however it can do wonders for both your physical and mental health. If you can afford a fitness tracker (Fitbit, etc) they are great for motivating you to move when you're in a sedentary job. Mine has certainly made me very competitive (with myself) to meet the goals such as climbing enough flights of stairs and reaching my step goal daily. You can also use most smartphones for step counting with various apps if you don't want to splurge.

Have you spoken to anyone about your darker moments? It can help to seek professional advice if there are underlying issues.

• mcbeanstr
    mcbeanstr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm stuck behind a screen all day, too. And I work from home, so sometimes the most exercise I get is walking to and from the kitchen or bathroom! My new goal is to make myself go for a walk every day, even if I'm working all day. I'll take a break at the "normal" closing time (5pm) and go for a walk, then come home and make a healthy dinner before I get back to work. Even if I have to work later because of the break I took, I will feel so much better knowing I've done something for myself. Yesterday was my first after work walk and I was inspired to go for 2.65 miles! I'm hoping to keep the momentum and motivation going.

Sounds like you're on the right track which is awesome
  • mcbeanstr
    Options

Firstly, well done on making some positive changes already.

It's not necessary to exercise in order to lose weight, MFP calorie goals are set up to take only your non-exercise activity level into account, however it can do wonders for both your physical and mental health. If you can afford a fitness tracker (Fitbit, etc) they are great for motivating you to move when you're in a sedentary job. Mine has certainly made me very competitive (with myself) to meet the goals such as climbing enough flights of stairs and reaching my step goal daily. You can also use most smartphones for step counting with various apps if you don't want to splurge.

Have you spoken to anyone about your darker moments? It can help to seek professional advice if there are underlying issues.

Thank you

I did think about getting a fitbit or similar device but I wouldn't want to get it and not use it fully. So I would think it would be best to get in a flow first with exercise before buying one. I have the mfp app (for quite a while actually) but haven't really used it much.

As for my issues no haven't spoken to anyone I don't really open up to people about stuff like that so it's difficult
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    @mcbeanstr the mapmyfitness (partner app to MFP) might be handy enough if you don't want to shell out.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You need to manage calories. Aside from that I started eating better quality foods and smaller portions. That all helped me but the exercise had a dramatic effect on how I "feel". I now crave daily exercise and on most days I wake at 4:30 AM and go running. I never dreamed I would be that kind of person. My routine helps me clear my head and it gives me that runners high you hear about. I recommend this three pronged attack to improve your mental and physical wellbeing.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Thank you

I did think about getting a fitbit or similar device but I wouldn't want to get it and not use it fully. So I would think it would be best to get in a flow first with exercise before buying one. I have the mfp app (for quite a while actually) but haven't really used it much.

As for my issues no haven't spoken to anyone I don't really open up to people about stuff like that so it's difficult
    [/quote]

I have a fit bit for fun but when running or walking for planned exercise I use Runtastic. It is GPS based and tracks distance, route, time and calories burned. I think there is a free version but I use it so much I got the paid version. It helps give you a little push to go further or faster.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? CICO is for weight loss, Exercise is for health. You have already made the change of drinking water and not soda, are there any other changes that you can easily make? Tracking and aiming for a realistic goal can really help motivate. This is not about losing 50, 100 or 150lbs, it is about losing the next pound or next 5 pounds.

Getting out and walking is a good way of getting some time to think and sort, how do you get to work? Could you park further away, or get off a bus stop before. Do you grab a lunch break, could you walk then. Could you go to a loo further away from your desk.

I love my fitbit, but phones also track steps. It is just a way of making it a competition with yourself.

As to other issues I will leave those to the people with training and skills to help you.

You are not trying to do this all at once, just work at small step changes and focus on small achievable mini goals.

Good luck
  • Premed100
    Premed100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Every journey starts with a single step and you have already done that, so now just keep it going. Now nobody is saying it will be easy, but it certainly will be worthwhile. Slow and steady at the start, gradually add exercise as you become more able. But don't give up just because you have a bad day, or a bad week, just dust yourself off and start again. Remember it doesn't matter if we get knocked down all that matters is that we get back up. - Do not think of this as a diet think of it as an adventure, an adventure where you take charge of your body & your life & like all adventures it may be long and have many twists & turns but its not always about the destination but about who we meet on our journey. Best of luck .
  • mcbeanstr
    Options
    @hookandy main goal is to lose weight for now. I travel to work by car, the place is actually in a house so parking further away may be risky.

The main thing is to determine a CICO rate that works for me. Not sure how to do that yet
  • seika1385
    seika1385 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I'm stuck behind a desk all day too! I started with a vivo fit pedometer and moved up to a Fitbit recently and I know this prob sounds stupid but I don't get a ton of exercise in so I started focusing on the steps goals to get me more motivated...I miander around my house for 15-20 minutes in the morning when I first get up or use my aerobic step...and at work I get up just about every hour and walk around the office for a few minutes...then at night use my step for 15-20 minutes...usually brings me to over 8k steps for the day. It's a starting place