Healthy restaurant= HIGH calories

Options

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    SpringLean wrote: »
    I need help with choosing meals at places like Panera and Freshiii. I hate restaurants that seem healthy but really aren't. This particular place didn't have the cals listed on the menu. I ordered a "healthy" wrap/burrito today with quinoa, lots of greens, chx breast and other vegetables but turns out it was over 600 calories!!! I could've just went to freakin' SHAKE SHACK and enjoyed my lunch. Smh. Lesson learned.

That's why I rarely eat out. ;)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" means nothing calorie wise.

Whoa, are you trying to say that Whole Foods products aren't low cal?

OP - Take a good look at the ingredients that it has, or ask. Drenched in sauce, added cheese, flour wrap, etc. etc. If anything it sounds like you had a very nutrient filled lunch that should leave you full till dinner.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    After looking up nutritional information at places like Modern Market, Snappy Salads, Panera, Cornery Bakery, etc. An easy way to guesstimate calories is this:

Go for Pick Two: Salad, Sandwich, Soup

Be ready for somewhere between 500-700 calories unless you eat soup and basic salad.

Whole Sandwiches are generally around 600 calories
    Soups are between 200-400, vegetarian ones are lower like Tomato Basil
    Full Salads are somewhere between 500-800

If you know you're eating out, try to look up the nutritional information before you go and plan your meal. I'm on the lower end of calories (because of my height) so 600 can be a lot unless I exercise or take away a snack.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm eating for strength and go for the most nourishment/least junk vice low calories. I plan what I was going to eat for Easter dinner so that I knew what my calorie budget was. That means some some coleslaw, some deviled eggs, some ham, and ONLY ONE piece of pecan pie and no others because they don't taste good enough to "spend" my calories there. You can do the same and research what calories, sodium, food/junk are in "shrimp scampi" at Olive Garden and apply it to Joe's corner Italian restaurant to determine if you want to invest your calories there. Don't wait to do this until friends are asking where you want to go or when you are hungry. Do the research. My Easter dinner is already recorded in MFP. FYI: we spend half as much calories and money eating at home, and don't include ingredients that our grandmothers wouldn't recognize.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Putting grain inside another grain is always going to make it more caloric, even if the grains themselves are healthy. IT's like rice in burritos (why do we put carbs inside carbs? Rice in burritos is like a french fry sandwich?).
    Healthy and low-calorie aren't the same. Heck, you can have a really unhealthy meal that's low-calorie.

Not gonna lie, I've had french fries on a sandwich and it was great. I wouldn't do it daily, but it was tasty.

Real arab shawerma sandwiches have fries stuffed in them. Absolute heaven.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Putting grain inside another grain is always going to make it more caloric, even if the grains themselves are healthy. IT's like rice in burritos (why do we put carbs inside carbs? Rice in burritos is like a french fry sandwich?).
    Healthy and low-calorie aren't the same. Heck, you can have a really unhealthy meal that's low-calorie.

Not gonna lie, I've had french fries on a sandwich and it was great. I wouldn't do it daily, but it was tasty.

Real arab shawerma sandwiches have fries stuffed in them. Absolute heaven.

White bread sandwich with plain potato crisps and sauce was a hangover staple for my mid-20s...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This is in the vein of serving breadsticks with pizza. Why do? Not like I'm opposed, but I'd rather just have more pizza.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    A rule of thumb a very fit pediatrician I work with shared with me - if the menu does not have nutrition information posted, she doesn't eat there. She figures in this day and age, if they aren't posting their nutrition information, they must be ashamed of it. I ran with it. So I look things up before going places to make my decision. It hasn't failed me yet.

If you're going by the seat of your pants, the wraps, the grains, the dressings, and just pack with veggies and lean meat if you want it to be low calorie. Nothing wrong with the grains or wraps, they just add the number up.

So much for local eating then. Or does she imagine local, family-owned restaurants can afford to pay a lab to evaluate calorie content every time they put a new dish on the menu?

Exactly. I get the theory and will sometimes go for the convenience option that has calorie counts over the one that doesn't, but her justification that "if they don't have them, they must be ashamed" is mindbogglingly ignorant of the industry.

It is wildly expensive to compile and update calorie counts. Smaller places change suppliers week to week depending on costs, ingredients depending on availability and freshness, and rejigging a kitchen so that every meal goes out close enough to identical like it's a production line is impractical, and simply not going to happen.

Furthermore, there is no legal requirement to have them for smaller or independent places, but if they choose to do so, they open themselves up to being sued by some jerk who comes in and eats their burger for 500 calories 5 times a week, gains weight, finds out it's actually 650 calories and blames them. Why would a business open themselves to that?

The sense of entitlement which goes with "if they don't have the calories for my convenience, they must be ashamed" is palatable.

[/irked former small business and restaurant cook rant]

Right there with you. A friend of mine runs a food truck/catering business, and his food is amazing - made with fresh ingredients and unique flavors. And he's not at all "ashamed" of what's in his food. He's quite proud of what's in his food, because he's using fresh, local ingredients and he's coming up with all of these recipes. If you ask him, he'll talk your EAR off about where he gets his produce and how he makes this or that and what's in it (he, uh, might not be the greatest at keeping his own trade secrets).

But no. He can't do a nutritional breakdown for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    A rule of thumb a very fit pediatrician I work with shared with me - if the menu does not have nutrition information posted, she doesn't eat there. She figures in this day and age, if they aren't posting their nutrition information, they must be ashamed of it. I ran with it. So I look things up before going places to make my decision. It hasn't failed me yet.

If you're going by the seat of your pants, the wraps, the grains, the dressings, and just pack with veggies and lean meat if you want it to be low calorie. Nothing wrong with the grains or wraps, they just add the number up.

Nah, I can't agree with this. My favorite places are mostly independently-owned and thus don't publish nutritional information. That doesn't mean that they're ashamed of their nutritional content. (I mean, shoot, Carls Jr. publishes their nutritional content, and they should be ashamed!)

I thought Panera DID publish theirs, though, was I mistaken? I don't eat there a ton, but I know there's a salad with chicken and apples and some sort of vinaigrette dressing that I love, and I'm sure the content there is pretty reasonable.

Generally, I think you can do a decent job of estimating the content of a lot of restaurant meals when the ingredients are simple and identifiable - avoid heavy, creamy sauces and dressings (since you've got no idea what's in there) and soups are probably similarly challenging (I'm not a big soup person, so I don't know what to say, there) but salads, sandwiches, grilled meats, simple vegetables, you can probably make a good enough estimate to log with some specificity. And I usually try to avoid doubling up on the empty carbs - substitute whatever chips/fries are offered with your sandwich for the salad or fruit cup. Your estimate won't be perfect, but if you're not doing it too terribly often, it won't make a difference.

They do..
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    go online, look up nutrition count and plan - some places let you do a build your own meal (Subway you can build a sub through their website; Red Robin (burgers) has a meal builder); chipotle has their ingredient info in MFP that you can use (so do many other restaurants
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at people (like that pediatrician) who think that just because there is a number on a website, that is going to be the number.

Obviously she never worked in a restaurant. :lol:

Chefs/cooks cook with their hands, not measuring spoons. A recipe may call for 100 calories in sauce or cheese or butter, and you may be getting a lot more (or less) than that.

Just enjoy your food when you eat out, but if you're trying to lose weight, maybe bring lunch from home most of the time.