Healthy restaurant= HIGH calories

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    Putting grain inside another grain is always going to make it more caloric, even if the grains themselves are healthy. IT's like rice in burritos (why do we put carbs inside carbs? Rice in burritos is like a french fry sandwich?).

This is in the vein of serving breadsticks with pizza. Why do? Not like I'm opposed, but I'd rather just have more pizza.

I've banned Italian bread on spaghetti nights. No more carb sides for carb meals.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people (like that pediatrician) who think that just because there is a number on a website, that is going to be the number.

Obviously she never worked in a restaurant. :lol:

Chefs/cooks cook with their hands, not measuring spoons. A recipe may call for 100 calories in sauce or cheese or butter, and you may be getting a lot more (or less) than that.

Just enjoy your food when you eat out, but if you're trying to lose weight, maybe bring lunch from home most of the time.

This. Unless I guess it's places like Applebee's that get their plates delivered as is... they're probably more careful about sticking to the stated portion size there.

Applebees plates are delivered as-is? No wonder they taste so awful. Every time I go there, I always feel like I've licked a block of southwest-flavored salt.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I just stick to my calorie budget. If I want a burger with all the bells & whistles and it goes over I cut it in half and have bonus meal for the next day...or just finish it all on one day and just make sure it balances over the week.

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Putting grain inside another grain is always going to make it more caloric, even if the grains themselves are healthy. IT's like rice in burritos (why do we put carbs inside carbs? Rice in burritos is like a french fry sandwich?).
    Healthy and low-calorie aren't the same. Heck, you can have a really unhealthy meal that's low-calorie.

We put carbs in carbs primarily because "carbs" as a food category has only existed for the past couple of decades, and most dishes we like to prepare are older than that.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Healthy and low-calorie aren't the same. Heck, you can have a really unhealthy meal that's low-calorie.

We put carbs in carbs primarily because "carbs" as a food category has only existed for the past couple of decades, and most dishes we like to prepare are older than that.

But restaurants put carbs with carbs because it's cheap. Don't act like bread with pasta is how the Italians have done it for hundreds of years.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

But restaurants put carbs with carbs because it's cheap. Don't act like bread with pasta is how the Italians have done it for hundreds of years.

I learned very quickly when I moved to Italy 30 yrs ago, that you ALWAYS have to have bread on the table--pasta or not. Fruit is another must. Italians love carbs and are thin. They also won "The healthiest country" award last week--beating out the Japanese and the French. It was all over the news here.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This is in the vein of serving breadsticks with pizza. Why do? Not like I'm opposed, but I'd rather just have more pizza.

I've banned Italian bread on spaghetti nights. No more carb sides for carb meals.

Don't even get me started on pizza with bread sticks! Whose bright idea was that? :/

(whoops- meant to quote @Jruzer )
  • annacole94
    Options
    Fine. I'll guess that they didn't get skinny on thousand calorie meals? Eating out is a minefield of trash food. That's my real point. You CAN eat well, but it requires an absurd amount of strategy and preparation. You don't get there by accident at Olive Garden.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Fine. I'll guess that they didn't get skinny on thousand calorie meals? Eating out is a minefield of trash food. That's my real point. You CAN eat well, but it requires an absurd amount of strategy and preparation. You don't get there by accident at Olive Garden.

So the point is that mindless eating is a bad strategy?
  • annacole94
    Options

Yup. And also that the health halo around certain brands is not going to get you a reasonable calorie count. If you've never been shocked by the calories in a restaurant meal, you're either a cynical *kitten* or you've been at this since birth.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Why shouldn't I act like that? Of course the Italians have been serving bread with pasta for hundreds of years. There is always bread on an Italian table.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm in for cynical *kitten*s!

But seriously the answer to frequent eating out for work etc is ordering what you want to order regardless of the menu.

Protein, grilled/steamed no sauce, veggies steamed or boiled will get you a small amount of calories for lots of money.

Most breakfast places do have a side of oatmeal plain no toppings and a side of two poached eggs. Or two eggs and unbuttered toast.

The menu is just a starting place to pick a dish to modify to your requirements

Now for the OCCASIONAL meal out, just enjoy the one occasional meal.

At most it will add a couple of days to how long it will take you to get to your target weight.

And hey, while I still take a scale to the all you can eat fish and chip shop, I have also ordered a family size steamed Gai lan, no sauce, for an early dinner!

As to the OP, I feel her frustration; but that's one of the points​ of calorie counting.

Discovering that healthy olive oil and avocados have a lot of calories and cannot be eaten in unlimited amounts.

That salads in restaurants, unmodified, sometimes have even more calories than a burger.

That healthy =/= low calorie and low calorie =/= healthy always.
  • try2again
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people (like that pediatrician) who think that just because there is a number on a website, that is going to be the number.

Obviously she never worked in a restaurant. :lol:

Chefs/cooks cook with their hands, not measuring spoons. A recipe may call for 100 calories in sauce or cheese or butter, and you may be getting a lot more (or less) than that.

Just enjoy your food when you eat out, but if you're trying to lose weight, maybe bring lunch from home most of the time.

This. Unless I guess it's places like Applebee's that get their plates delivered as is... they're probably more careful about sticking to the stated portion size there.

Applebees plates are delivered as-is? No wonder they taste so awful. Every time I go there, I always feel like I've licked a block of southwest-flavored salt.

I read a book called The American Way of Eating a while back and the author worked "undercover" at an Applebees. I don't recall her saying plates come as is. It sounded like the entrees & vegetable sides come frozen and then the expeditor slaps the sauces on. Still not tremendously appealing... I can have frozen food at home.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Not gonna lie, I've had french fries on a sandwich and it was great. I wouldn't do it daily, but it was tasty.

Real arab shawerma sandwiches have fries stuffed in them. Absolute heaven.

White bread sandwich with plain potato crisps and sauce was a hangover staple for my mid-20s...

Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich add cheese, then add your fries to it. It's just amazing.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Don't even get me started on pizza with bread sticks! Whose bright idea was that? :/

:+1:

When I was in Spain for work a few months ago, I ate so much bread that I could barely walk. Darn good stuff, that.

In our house we often have Edamame with pizza, a habit we picked up from a Japanese friend.
  • try2again
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

:+1:

When I was in Spain for work a few months ago, I ate so much bread that I could barely walk. Darn good stuff, that.

In our house we often have Edamame with pizza, a habit we picked up from a Japanese friend.

To me, it's like pizza with a side of less-flavorful pizza. Been wanting to try edamame, but not sure I want it with my pizza. ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

The Olive Garden is not authentic Italian food--gasp.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yup. And also that the health halo around certain brands is not going to get you a reasonable calorie count. If you've never been shocked by the calories in a restaurant meal, you're either a cynical *kitten* or you've been at this since birth.

Sure, I've been shocked at restaurant nutrition info - but not when it was only 600 cals! 600 cals is LOW for a restaurant meal. Higher than the OP was expecting, perhaps, but certainly not "HIGH". I can think of one chain restaurant that I've removed from our family's options because they only have one item on their menu below 1000 calories, and it doesn't appeal to me.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Try the edamame! Even my kid loves it! Try it first at a sushi restaurant or similar. Making it at home is not quite as good (but close).