What is the correct way of calculating deficit?

Options
I'm not entirely sure how to work it out..

Do you calculate the calorie deficit based on maintenance, TDEE, or BMR?

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Depends on what program you're using. MFP uses the NEAT method (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) which calculates how many calories will burn for you in a standard day without any exercise being done. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is it's own calculation using your BMR and your estimate exercise.

For me it was easier to let MFP do the calculation and then add what exercise I do, but for those who are consistent in their exercise TDEE can be a better calculation.

Edit: TDEE vs NEAT is a good article, just read the article part though. :pensive:
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Enter your numbers in here. (Keep in mind that this calculator won't go below 1200 calories for women}

https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/calorie-deficit
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Some use TDEE - a % like 15% or 20% depending on how much you have to loose.

Others use mfp's method which is based off NEAT which excludes purposeful exercise that needs to be added back in an eaten. I should mention that most say the exercise calories are overstated so only eat back 50-75% of exercise calories.

I plugged in my numbers into mfp and I use NEAT.

Either way will get you to a deficit. One includes exercise (TDEE) and one you need to add exercise calories (NEAT).
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP calculation and set my activity to sedentary, then let my fitness tracker sync with my diary to add calories for extra activity. I don't usually eat back the extra, but you could eat back about half (allowing for the tracker inaccuracy).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP will calculate it based on your NEAT...enter your stats and goals and MFP will do the math.