To keto or not to keto???

I've been very intrigued lately by the keto diet and success of weight loss by people on the keto diet... plus some of the other benefits I've heard of, especially helping with brain fog and fatigue. I'm wary of course because of all the fat intake. Plus I also have IBS and fatty foods (which are also greasy and obviously not good fats) really get it going. But then I've also heard of keto helping with digestive issues? Keto experts... I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It's really up to you and whether or not you can eat that way sustainably. There's nothing wrong with it per sei, but it's also not a magical solution...it works in the same way that any other diet works...calorie deficit.

I personally couldn't and wouldn't do it unless it was prescribed to me for medical reasons...I would have a very difficult time on less than 50g of carbs per day and just be pretty miserable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Completely unnecessary, and I can't imagine why you would even consider it with IBS.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    A lot of people have great success with Keto, especially with certain medical issues. I believe initial weight loss is a little faster but it averages out after 6 months or so.

I think its important to mention that most experts agree that how you eat when losing weight is how you should eat to maintain your goal weight which is the end goal right?

If this is a way of eating that you think you can stick to as a sustainable way of eating then go for it. As a side note people have gained weight on Keto if they don't watch their calories so keep an eye on your calories too.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    As a 4 year veteran eating Keto, I can tell you that you still need to eat a calorie controlled diet. If you eat too much you won't lose weight, it's not magic. Having said that, what Keto does do is allow you to stick to your calorie limit easily, as you don't get that gnawing hunger anymore. Protein and fat keep you satisfied, and do not stimulate insulin production which is what gives you that hungry feeling. I tried to control calories for 20 years unsuccessfully, but on Keto I control food, not the other way around.

Other benefits. Reduced migraines. Reduced joint inflammation. Reversed type 2 diabetes. No bloating. No hunger headache or shakes because I haven't eaten. Clearer thinking and more energy. Better mood, has almost completely smoothed out my anxiety and depression.

Things to note. If you do decide to try it, the first week or two can be hard until your body switches from sugar burning to fat burning. Eat pickles, have lots of salt. A magnesium supplement won't hurt (I still take one a day now). Once you get past this period and settle in you'll feel loads better, and your hunger should taper off. Generally with Keto you would eat under 20g carbs a day, hit your protein goal and the rest from fat up to your calorie target. Good calculator here https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and you can adjust your macros in MFP under goals.

Keto is not hard to stick to, once you get your thinking around "I don't eat sugar, bread, pasta, rice, grain, potatoes" similar to how a vegetarian doesn't eat meat. I have a varied diet of foods I love, eating out is not a problem, nor is snacking or deserts. There are a million recipes out there that can replace almost anything carby. This site is great https://www.ruled.me/

You'll likely lose a bit more weight in the first week or two (water weight) but then it'll settle down to a smaller amount.

Finally, join this group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group there are thousands of Ketoers on there, ask all of your questions, read the pinned posts.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I started keto a couple of years ago to help with weight loss and improving my insulin resistance. I had been struggling with moderating my foods, for a long while, and finally decided that I needed to normalize my blood glucose before it hit diabetic numbers. I know weight loss helps with that but if you gain weight while trying to lose.... that's going no where fast. LOL

I stuck with keto because it makes my life better. I feel better. I have more energy and it is steadier, my cognitive function is disturbingly better, my BG is stable, my autoimmune issues do not flare as much, my skin is much better and my hair is healthier. I can just do more.

Fibre is the bane of my stomach issues. I had undiagnosed celiac disease for many decades so even after going GF, I still had some issue. Eating LCHF has decreased stomach bloating due to gas, made BMs better and more regular, as well as smaller. Meats do not hurt my stomach like broccoli can. I can eat 6 oz of a fatty meat and feel great. If I eat near to the equivalent calories in plant matter, or even a quarter of the calories, my stomach will often hurt, and my BMs become...not as good.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Look through the launch pad and stickies, and just lurk for a while. Many use keto for IBS, or even to treat gall bladder issues. For many of us, fat is wonderful and plants are the problem... although a tasty problem. For us, greasy food is not the issue, it's the breading and side dishes and drinks that are.
  • cwolfman13
    As a 4 year veteran eating Keto, I can tell you that you still need to eat a calorie controlled diet. If you eat too much you won't lose weight, it's not magic. Having said that, what Keto does do is allow you to stick to your calorie limit easily, as you don't get that gnawing hunger anymore. Protein and fat keep you satisfied, and do not stimulate insulin production which is what gives you that hungry feeling. I tried to control calories for 20 years unsuccessfully, but on Keto I control food, not the other way around.

Other benefits. Reduced migraines. Reduced joint inflammation. Reversed type 2 diabetes. No bloating. No hunger headache or shakes because I haven't eaten. Clearer thinking and more energy. Better mood, has almost completely smoothed out my anxiety and depression.

Things to note. If you do decide to try it, the first week or two can be hard until your body switches from sugar burning to fat burning. Eat pickles, have lots of salt. A magnesium supplement won't hurt (I still take one a day now). Once you get past this period and settle in you'll feel loads better, and your hunger should taper off. Generally with Keto you would eat under 20g carbs a day, hit your protein goal and the rest from fat up to your calorie target. Good calculator here https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and you can adjust your macros in MFP under goals.

Keto is not hard to stick to, once you get your thinking around "I don't eat sugar, bread, pasta, rice, grain, potatoes" similar to how a vegetarian doesn't eat meat. I have a varied diet of foods I love, eating out is not a problem, nor is snacking or deserts. There are a million recipes out there that can replace almost anything carby. This site is great https://www.ruled.me/

You'll likely lose a bit more weight in the first week or two (water weight) but then it'll settle down to a smaller amount.

Finally, join this group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group there are thousands of Ketoers on there, ask all of your questions, read the pinned posts.

I'd say that's a very individual thing...
  • nvmomketo
    filbo132 wrote: »
    A lot of people have great success with Keto, especially with certain medical issues. I believe initial weight loss is a little faster but it averages out after 6 months or so.

I think its important to mention that most experts agree that how you eat when losing weight is how you should eat to maintain your goal weight which is the end goal right?

If this is a way of eating that you think you can stick to as a sustainable way of eating then go for it. As a side note people have gained weight on Keto if they don't watch their calories so keep an eye on your calories too.

They lose weight early on, not because they are losing fat, it's mainly the water weight....and the reason they have success is not because of keto, it's because they are in a caloric deficit. You can achieve the samething with Paleo, Intermittent fasting, IIFYM and other diets that are out there. Now if someone has health issues that are carbs related, then I fully understand the reason behind it. But restricting carbs in thinking that is the solution to losing weight is just wrong. But they are welcome to try, I have nothing against anyone doing keto, I just wanna make sure they know what they are getting into.

I am currently doing Intermittent fasting simply because it's convenient, not because that will make me lose more weight. In fact, I am losing at the same rate as I was before doing IF which to me proves it's bolony when people say that IF is the secret for weight loss. Just like before, I am still losing at 1 pound per week by eating the same number of calories as before. Yet many swear that IF dieting is the sole reason for their weight loss and that's a mindset I disagree with, regardless of which diet people do. No diet will make you lose weight, only being in a deficit can do that.

If your deficit is at 1200 calories, then you will lose weight at the same rate in the long run, regardless if your doing keto, IIFYM, IF, Paleo, etc...

Often people are in a calorie deficit BECAUSE they are LCHF. Their appetite is reduced and they crave fewer carbs, or their energy is steady and they don't need to eat as often, or their is the slight metabolic advantage.

So yes, they are in a deficit but sometimes that deficit is able to exist because of the food choices made.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

They lose weight early on, not because they are losing fat, it's mainly the water weight....and the reason they have success is not because of keto, it's because they are in a caloric deficit. You can achieve the samething with Paleo, Intermittent fasting, IIFYM and other diets that are out there. Now if someone has health issues that are carbs related, then I fully understand the reason behind it. But restricting carbs in thinking that is the solution to losing weight is just wrong. But they are welcome to try, I have nothing against anyone doing keto, I just wanna make sure they know what they are getting into.

I am currently doing Intermittent fasting simply because it's convenient, not because that will make me lose more weight. In fact, I am losing at the same rate as I was before doing IF which to me proves it's bolony when people say that IF is the secret for weight loss. Just like before, I am still losing at 1 pound per week by eating the same number of calories as before. Yet many swear that IF dieting is the sole reason for their weight loss and that's a mindset I disagree with, regardless of which diet people do. No diet will make you lose weight, only being in a deficit can do that.

If your deficit is at 1200 calories, then you will lose weight at the same rate in the long run, regardless if your doing keto, IIFYM, IF, Paleo, etc...

Exactly why I mentioned to be mindful of her calories:).
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What is an individual thing exactly? Not a very specific comment. If by individual you mean thousands of people just like me have experienced the same benefits, then I guess you're right. Just like those of you who claim to be able to eat carbs all day without an insulin response causing hunger are individuals.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    I agree with Ebony's comment: "I can tell you that you still need to eat a calorie controlled diet." Ultimately, while Ketogenic diets work very well for some, I find it easy to eat more calories if you are not careful. Initially, it seems like I Iose weight by shunning carbs, but for some reason my body adapts and it then the weight loss stops.

Not saying you shouldn't try it (check with your Doctor disclaimer) but I suggest you track the calories and macros so you have statistics. I found that if I don't track my food, I easily consume more calories without thinking.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I don't know much about IBS but for me, keto was great (easier to stick to, more satiating, reduced hunger and carb cravings, reduced joint pain, steadier blood sugar rather than getting hangry, etc.), and I plan to eat LCHF long-term.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Often people are in a calorie deficit BECAUSE they are LCHF. Their appetite is reduced and they crave fewer carbs, or their energy is steady and they don't need to eat as often, or their is the slight metabolic advantage.

So yes, they are in a deficit but sometimes that deficit is able to exist because of the food choices made.

Look, if it works, I have nothing against it...but the end result is the same ....caloric deficit. But like this image says at the bottom "The best diet is the one that fits your lifestyle" . I had this one girl feeling ashamed because she ate cereal that has sugar in it....I mean, if your at that point that your miserable because the cereal has sugar, your better off getting out of that diet. Too many people were fed into their brains many ridiculous myths.

Oh, I agree that a calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. I'm just saying that some people are not able to reach that deficit unless they change their diet.

That info graphic is a bit misleading. Low carb does not "completely remove the intake of one macronutrient (carbohydrates)". That would be zero carb. Low carb is just that - low.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017

First, So fat doesn't universally satiate people. It does for some, but others (like myself) respond better to carbs/starches. I actually just had to stop doing low carb days because it was so little food and I needed volume. And fat doesn't even touch my hunger. Second, protein does stimulate insulin. In fact, it can stimulate insulin as much as many types of carbohydrates. It's one reason there is a huge fear of protein in the keto community. But there is also a lot of debate on whether insulin or blood sugar is the driven for hunger. But considering protein's satiation rate is extremely high, it's probably more BG that can cause hunger or other hormones, like ghrelin.

That said, I'd definitely recommend running that through your doctor prior. The last thing you want to do is worsen the condition.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Without going into the pro's/con's of keto; you say you have IBS, that fatty foods trigger it, yet are considering keto which is 75% fats.
  • cwolfman13
    edited March 2017

What is an individual thing exactly? Not a very specific comment. If by individual you mean thousands of people just like me have experienced the same benefits, then I guess you're right. Just like those of you who claim to be able to eat carbs all day without an insulin response causing hunger are individuals.

Here's what you said...
    what Keto does do is allow you to stick to your calorie limit easily, as you don't get that gnawing hunger anymore.

As if this is a universal phenomena. It is not...it is an individual thing. Not everyone is satiated with high fat eating. Your above quote doesn't say anything about "for me" or "for some people"...it states that "ket allows you to stick to your calorie limit easily, as you don't get that gnawing hunger anymore"...as if it's applicable to all.

Also, who said anything about eating carbs all day...it's always the same with your types...it's one end of the spectrum or the other...not everyone and everything is to the extreme that you folks seem to take things. There's this huge...massive middle ground.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Here's what you said...
    what Keto does do is allow you to stick to your calorie limit easily, as you don't get that gnawing hunger anymore.

As if this is a universal phenomena. It is not...it is an individual thing. Not everyone is satiated with high fat eating. Your above quote doesn't say anything about "for me" or "for some people"...it states that "ket allows you to stick to your calorie limit easily, as you don't get that gnawing hunger anymore"...as if it's applicable to all.

Also, who said anything about eating carbs all day...it's always the same with your types...it's one end of the spectrum or the other...not everyone and everything is to the extreme that you folks seem to take things. There's this huge...massive middle ground.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html/