How stressful is your job? Or not?

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Huh. Kinda surprised it didn't make the list, since historically we have one of the highest suicide rates by profession, as well as the highest rate of drug and alcohol addiction.

/Susie-sunshine.

Interesting.
    Hubby has had several guys on the job commit suicide but I haven't heard of anyone I knew in 25+ years in nursing.
    But I know the substance abuse is rampant.
    It used to be a lot easier to divert controlled substances than it is now...
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My jobs not on the list but it should be. If I don't do it right airplanes fall out of the sky in flames and people die!

Signed - Principle Mechanical Design Engineer for a large aerospace company
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    My jobs not on the list but it should be. If I don't do it right airplanes fall out of the sky in flames and people die!

Signed - Principle Mechanical Design Engineer for a large aerospace company

No pressure there :wink:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the middle. Didn't make either list but is probably closer to the NON stressful variety...

My husband however, is #1. He is active duty military.

I think military wife should be #2 :flowerforyou:

Well, then I'll take #1, #2, AND what SHOULD be in the top 10....Doctors. Holding people's lives, literally in your hands, is pretty freaking stressful. Add in the constant fear of law suits taking away everything you've worked so hard for....yeah.....
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well, mine's not on that list. :P

Gov't contractor / scanning technician - it's not stressful, in itself anyway... it's just the most boring job in the entire world and I want to cry all 40 hours of my work week.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Well, mine's not on that list. :P

Gov't contractor / scanning technician - it's not stressful, in itself anyway... it's just the most boring job in the entire world and I want to cry all 40 hours of my work week.

In all honesty, I wouldn't like that either.
    I like to be steady busy, where the eight (usually more) hours move along quickly but not like I feel I'm two hours behind in everything.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    How about Pawn Shop owner? lol

I listen to pity parties most of the day = makes my life seem better
    I make 100% profit on most sales = pays the bills + play money
    On occasion, I get to see and even buy unique items = My house has a few unique items
    I play around on MFP some of the day = during slow times of the day I can do push ups and sit ups whenever I feel like it
    When the economy is bad, I make good money off of monthly interest on loans = when economy is good, my sales increase.

Stressful? no way and wouldn't change careers for anything!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

On occasion, I get to see and even buy unique items = My house has a few unique items
    I play around on MFP some of the day = during slow times of the day I can do push ups and sit ups whenever I feel like it
    When the economy is bad, I make good money off of monthly interest on loans = when economy is good, my sales increase.

I think I need to switch careers....
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I think I need to switch careers....

Ditto! :laugh:
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't work, but hubby is a police officer and I can't believe it's #10!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I don't work, but hubby is a police officer and I can't believe it's #10!

I agree, should be in the top three with firefighters and health care :wink:

I'm surprised no one has said stay at home mom.
    I've always worked part time and there are days when going to work was a break from the non-stop routine of being a mom... :tongue:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Mine is not on the list but it can be super stressful - lately if I thought I could get away with bringing rum to work I would.

I am Quality Administrator/Assistant Manager in a custom fab shop that deals mostly with Agriculture and oil customers.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was just showing that to hubs, lol! He laughed. :) Maybe if you work in Podunk, lol!, but not in southern California.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Mine is not on the list but it can be super stressful - lately if I thought I could get away with bringing rum to work I would.

I am Quality Administrator/Assistant Manager in a custom fab shop that deals mostly with Agriculture and oil customers.

Vodka is clear and odorless :drinker:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I was just showing that to hubs, lol! He laughed. :) Maybe if you work in Podunk, lol!, but not in southern California.

Holy moly, no way :noway:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I work at a Federal Pen. did not show on either list....
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    well i used to be a cashier for kohls and although that's not on the list and some people don't think it is stressful well let me clear that up for you. It is very stressful. I was sooooo stressed from that job that i gained about 60-70lbs while I was there for almost a year and a half and it was so stressful that I actually started up smoking(no joke). And now I have a somewhat stressful job depends on the day I guess. I babysit for 2 boys. But it's way better then cashier at kohl's lol
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Salary is 'commission only' so if I don't sell, I don't get a paycheck. That's kinda stressful.

I have a lot of freedom in my schedule and work days, I drive around and meet new people, help them with home improvement projects. So that part is all good.

I work for a HUGE corporation and that comes with a lot of baggage, that is the other stressful part.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, my boys are 6 &3. It's perfectly annoying at times but perfectly non-stressful. In my past life, I worked in a funeral home. It wasn't super stressful, keeping things ordered and organized. I loved it and am looking forward to going back into that line of work here soon. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, my boys are 6 &3. It's perfectly annoying at times but perfectly non-stressful. In my past life, I worked in a funeral home. It wasn't super stressful, keeping things ordered and organized. I loved it and am looking forward to going back into that line of work here soon. :)

Yep, all the funeral home guys seem calm, cool and collected even when I call them after hours to pick up a recently departed patient...