Avocados

Options
I just bought some avocados and I've never eaten them before...what are some ways to eat them? Thanks!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    First thing is to wait until they are ripe. Hard avocados are tasteless and no fun.

I like to eat mine on top of a salad, or sprinkle a bit of seasoning on them as a side with protein, and eggs/avocado is always a nice combo as well.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like to put them in/on things. Chopped in my salad, with eggs, on toast (mashed up), I just made a chicken mozarella avocado quesadilla the other day that was good. I love the taste of avocados
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I like them on salads and sandwiches...also guacamole and as an accompaniment to basically any Mexican dish. I live in New Mexico, and they're basically a food staple here...I often eat it straight out of the shell with a little salt.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them up and drizzle them with soy sauce or salsa, then put them on a nice pair of over-easy eggs and some hot rice. Yummy.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Avacaco is one food that requires salt.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ripen first. Then slice on buttered toast. In salad. In gucamole. Delicious.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sliced up with steak, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice on a corn tortilla, yummy! Agree with the salt comment. Avocados definitely benefit from a little salt!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I like them on a black pepper Tricsuit or on my tacos
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I like it spread on toast for an egg sandwich,guacamole, put in salads, tacos, burritos, mix into chicken salad instead of a ton of mayo, mixed in with cottage cheese.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Make a tuna salad and scoop onto a half avacado.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I love them, too, and want to eat them every day. I was struggling because I wanted to have just half of one with lunch. As everyone knows, the other half turns brown in the fridge unless you find a clever way to keep air off it. Shrink wrap?

My solution is to buy a box of Wholly Guacamole Minis at Costco and put it in the freezer. I can then put one in my lunch every day and it thaws by the time I eat it. Yum yum.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sliced on toast topped with a soft boiled egg
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    another vote for smashed on toast - then topped with a poached egg and sriracha sauce. or on veggie burgers, tuna melts, tacos, in guac. also i make an avocado pesto sauce - blended up with fresh basil, garlic, and a dash of olive oil and salt. it's amazing with linguine and salmon.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're up for trying some new plant-based options:

I mash them up and put it between two slices of bread with a slice of tomato, salt, pepper, and oregano, then spread vegan butter on the slices of bread and fry it up to make a vegan-friendly grilled cheese. Also delicious to use in place of the cheese for quesadillas!
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Salads, omelettes, smoothies. I even made brownies with them once instead of margarine! My other half hates avocados so I didn't tell him and he didn't even notice
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    With a little salt. Mashed up with onion and tomato as guacamole. On a hamburger or sandwich. In a salad. I like a half of avocado with a scoop of chicken salad in it. I get the Wholly Guacamole Minis too. They are perfect because fresh avocados have to be just right. I eat guacamole on sandwiches, burgers, wraps, with crackers. Good lord there are sooo many ways to eat avocados. I shouldn't have answered this question right before lunch. lol At least I know what I am having for lunch now.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Blended with ice, milk, protein powder and some kind of sweetener. It might sounds weird but I had an avocado smoothie at a Vietnamese place and then became obsessed with them (they use sweetened condensed milk as their sweetener but anything will work, honey etc.)
  • wkgoldsmith
    wkgoldsmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slice open, drizzle with sriracha and S&P and eat with a spoon. An afternoon snack in its own shell.