Ketogenic diets

Options
Does anyone have experience switching from carb to fat as fuel for your body? Any input on this?

Replies

• kellybea73
    kellybea73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Following. Seems to be the new fad around here so I want to learn more...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a ketogenic diet for a couple of years. I'll most likely continue to do so to keep the health benefits.

Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for people who have had success with a LCHF diet. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What do you want to know?

It's true that your body does not need carbohydrates and will enter a state of ketosis and switch to burning fat instead.

There aren't really any advantages over plain ol' CICO, but I do quite enjoy the side effects of being in ketosis. Here are some of the things I've experienced:

a.) Less hunger and a much more "mellow" feeling of hunger. No hunger pains, tummy grumbles, nausea, shakiness. More of a gentle reminder from your stomach that you might want to eat soon.

b.) No energy swings. A nice stable level of energy all day - no highs or lows.

c.) No gas/bloating. Very nice perk!

d.) Fresher breath. Without the sugars in your mouth for bacteria to feast upon, there is less bad breath.

e.) Personal anecdote, but way fewer cases of UTIs and yeast infections while on keto.

f.) Better sleep - I wake up feeling much more alert and often require less sleep.

I've also heard it helps women with PCOS quite a bit too.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have experience with this as well. It took a few weeks for my body to adapt but I've had a lot of the same benefits as the pp and plan to eat keto or at least LCHF for life.
  • ClaraKnepper
    ClaraKnepper Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I'd been reading about different theories on nutrition and this kept popping up and I was curious if anyone had experience. I was considering trying it, but I'd want to do more research before hopping on that bandwagon.
  • charlenekemp07
    charlenekemp07 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried this last year and it went very well, I lost a couple of lbs very fast, BUT be warned... this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, once your on it, you can't go back to your old eating habits. I went a little crazy during December and I put on all of the weight again. I've heard of so many people that looses weight with this but as soon as you eat something that's not on the list, you pick up the weight very fast. So you once you give up sugar and carbs, you give it up for good.