Sugar guilt

Options
anyone can share thoughts what to do when u have occasional sugar like doughnut or cake ( whats the best way to neutralise it )

Replies

• angej2
    angej2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat the doughnut, log it and eat a little less dinner.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Eat, enjoy and moveon! It is just a occassional treat once for a while. I eat anything sweet for a week lol and i still make it sure that it fits in my daily calorie budget so it won't hurt
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself, the occasional treat is not a bad thing. If you are sensitive to sugar then keeping it low is important, for everyone else it doesn't matter as long as you're eating mostly healthy and keeping a deficit. There's an article on the mfp blog "x signs you eating too much sugar", if you don't have any of those symptoms, and you haven't noticed an increase in energy after cutting sugar it's probably something you don't want to worry about.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Even some of the low sugar proponents day 80% compliance is good enough
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Log it.
    Make it work for you in your daily balance
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel guilty! The other week I ate 2 Krispy Kreme Donuts in a row and it still fit into my daily sugar allowance and my daily calorie allowance (mine is only 1,200 as well!) and I still lost weight!
    Log it, exercise to make yourself feel better that day and move on :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Occasional sugar like coffee or cake is best neutralized with black coffee.

Damn. It's Saturday. I want to go to the Korean donut shop and get a fritter and come home to my coffee.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    When you say "neutralize" are you talking about how to offset the calories or how to control the desire for donuts/cake? Or possibly how to "neutralize" the sugar in your body?

To offset the calories just eat less for the rest of the day or accept the fact that you might be over your calorie goal for the day. In my experience if you go over your calorie goal nothing traumatic happens. The world doesn't end...the sky doesn't fall...etc...etc.

As far as neutralizing the desire for donuts/cake...the methods for that will vary from individual to individual. For many people it isn't necessary...they just make it fit into their goals...IOW...they eat the donut/cake because they can moderate those things. Some of us can't...so we don't buy donuts/cake...we only rarely have those types of things.

IMO...if you happened to be talking about "neutralizing" the sugar that you ate from said donut/cake...no need. It will eventually work its way out of your body...and life will go on.

My advice...enjoy your life. Make a donut/cake fit into your goals on occasion. You look fairly young and have a long life ahead of you...stop along the way and have a donut/cake every once in a while. Let go of any guilt(I assume that you are feeling thus the topic of neutralizing the donut/cake). At most...it might delay you reaching your goal by maybe a day.

The only thing that I would worry about is if on a regular basis you are replacing all of the nutrient dense foods with donut/cake.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Guilt can lead to binging. It's a paradox, isn't it? That's what I'm enjoying about logging all of my food. When I see that I can splurge & still control my full days intake, I control the guilt. Guilt leads to binging. Binging is the true enemy for me. Every Sunday we have pancakes with real maple syrup that we tap from our own trees. It would be a shame to deny myself the very maple syrup I boil down & can. My Sunday lunch & dinner are light & veggie-centered. I still have a low-calorie day, every Sunday, even if my breakfast is well over 700 calories!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me not regret eating high-calorie foods is that I think it over ahead of time. Do I believe that eating this will be worth the setback it will cause to my weight-loss goals? If so, I start with a small portion and enjoy it. Sometimes if it's super tasty, I even have seconds or thirds! That way, since I decided on the trade-off ahead of time, I have no regrets.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The best way to neutralize sugar guilt is not to have guilt to begin with. You're just eating, you're not committing a crime. Save the guilt for when it is truly earned, like forgetting someone's birthday or not mowing the yard or whatever. At the end of the day, cake is just food. It has calories, and that's what affects weight, not the sugar. If it fits into your calorie goal, then there is nothing wrong with an occasional treat.
    Im eating a doughnut right now, as a matter of fact. Ate doughnuts, ice cream, cake, etc..many times, and have lost 80 lbs. The difference now is that I eat 1 doughnut, where I used to eat 3. Eating healthfully overall is important, but so is indulging in thing you enjoy sometimes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neutralise it sounds a bit strange!

Maybe you mean cycle to the cake or doughnut shop and then thoroughly enjoy your treat without guilt before cycling home again?

They are just foods, guilt isn't an appropriate feeling for enjoying food you like in the context of your overall diet and lifestyle.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    When you're trying so hard to be perfect, and then you "fail" just a little, many people have the response of "well, I might as well fail 110%." That's how food moralizing so often leads to bingeing, in my experience as well as so many others.

So: enjoy the sweets, log it and move on.

My "designated sweet" is a single (or double) serving candy bar from the check-out line at the grocery store. Yes, it's uneconomical. But it's my reward for going to the grocery store. And it's just 1 or 2 servings, not a whole bag. So that makes it definitely worth it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health problem where sugar should be minimized, then an occassional sugary treat is not that bad.

If ou do have something like T2D, you may need a larger bolus of insulin.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Good doughnuts/cake/baked goods are delicious.... I enjoy them thoroughly!