Is a maintenance day a cheat day?

Options
2»

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    No it's not a cheat day. In fact you have to read just your mindset and eliminate that term sheet Day. By calling it a cheat day you're implying you're doing something wrong and you're not.

You can't look at this as a diet. Diets suck and they don't work. you're constantly depriving yourself of stuff that you enjoy and it said negative and if it's negative process you're not going to be able to maintain that. What you have to do is look at this as a lifestyle change. It's a matter of educating yourself as far as what you eat and how much you eat and how it's going to affect your body. For this to work it has to be enjoyable.

Touring my weight-loss Journey I went on vacation. I'd say a couple of those days I drank my calorie limit alone. I still manage to lose the weight. Also I never gave up food that I liked it was just a matter of fitting it within my calorie goal. If I had to give up the occasional Wendy's hamburger pizza or beers on the beach I wouldn't never have been able to lose the weight and maintain the weight loss. Not once during the weight loss process that I look at it as an inconvenience or something negative. As crazy as it sounds it was probably one of the easiest things I have ever done
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's your day. Call it whatever you want. Your body doesn't care, and your goals are yours to decide if you want to put them on pause.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a cheat day. Such a negative term to associate with food. A day where you eat at maintenance or above is exactly that. Just a small blimp on your marathon journey of weightloss. If this day involved good times with family or friends then the health that came from that is also important. In saying that you don't want these maintainance or above days to occur too often if you want to continue losing weight but every now and then is part of a healthy relationship with food.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Watched some random videos yesterday and came across a channel called "mind over munchies" or something similiar and I really liked her approach.

She just simply called them "treat" meal/day which sounds less negative for a lot of people.

Personally I really dont mind how to call them but Im also having them sparingly. Next one is gonna be on easter nightshift with some pizza. And for me thats just "traditional" nightshift which I only enjoy with a certain colleague.

But I do not think calling it a "cheat" meal makes it sound negative, personally.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's neither. It's just another part of your PLAN.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't do cheat days. There are days where I may eat at maintenance (birthdays, holidays), but what am I cheating on?

There's days I eat WAY over maintenance... still not 'cheating'!

"un-structured refeed days" are the best.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I agree. The whole mentality of cheating needs to go. It is all about simply budgeting your calories and spending them as best suites you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. There are days where I may eat at maintenance (birthdays, holidays), but what am I cheating on?

like it!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I used to think that everybody was making a fuss about the terminology, "cheat" days, what difference does it make. Now however I am far more aware that it is not "cheating" day, it is a choice. I am also becoming more aware of it not being a "treat" day, uses food a reward to make me feel better is how I got to 294lb in the first place!!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, is that if you eat deficit more than maintenance you'll still lose weight, just more slowly than if you eat deficit every day. So how can it be cheating. The aim is to lose weight in a way that's manageable for you. It's not a race to see how quick you can lose it. I see it a bit like a credit card balance. It's not wrong to use a credit card, but you should always pay the minimum balance and keep within the credit limit, but it's always more beneficial to pay off the balance if you can.

This. I eat at maintenance every weekend, I'm losing weight pretty slowly but this is what works for me. Thinking of a day as a "cheat day" is a big dangerous for me because I feel out of control and could end up binging.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

That phrase made me very excited for some reason.
  • nestep1971
    nestep1971 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't do "cheat days" do "cheat meal". You wont lose as many gains.