Is a maintenance day a cheat day?

Options
So just a little open ended discussion here guys. If you eat at maintenance for a day instead of at deficit (assuming you're trying to lose,) do you count that as a cheat day or just a day off? For me, that is a cheat day. So the question is- what is a cheat day to you?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's really pretty arbitrary whether you call it a day off or a cheat day. It's still the same thing.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with everyone pretty much. I definitely don't like thinking of cheat days in a negative way. It's just the common term used.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat - so have no cheat days
    I have maintenance days/times - when I am on or close to my maintenance level - often rest days as well so then my ability to stay low is really quite limited and I have that when I am on a holiday. When I am away on business for a few days or on a holiday I try to eat as much as I can at a maintenance level. It is my deficit break and is psychologically a great thing to do for me.
    I have over/treat days. Mostly around a special day (a birthday or x-mas for instance) They are few and often far between. They are scheduled to be over and as a result they are not that much over these days :-)

I log it all, Don't have a logging break. I need to learn how to eat right and that means learning to be honest with food. I know I am already, but I also know that I could slip still. No cheating for me therefore
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with everyone pretty much. I definitely don't like thinking of cheat days in a negative way. It's just the common term used.

Yes, it is common, but negative self-talk won't help anyone meet their goals. How would you feel if someone else called you a "cheater"? :/
    well i can definitely see how that could be problematic for some people. I'm just using the term colloquially and I don't find it negative nor does it bring up negative self feelings in me. But you're right that we maybe shouldn't perpetuate the use of the phrase since it could be toxic language for some people

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a cheat day but I know it will set me back 1 day. So be it!
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cheating. I think eating over maintenance is "cheating" but I wouldn't do it unless I'd compensated with lower calories on the surrounding days.
    I'm planning to eat at maintenance over Easter (10-23 April) as I also have 2 family birthdays at this time, and I will hopefully have just reached a milestone of 2stone (28lb) lost, which is 20% of my overall goal. I don't see it as cheating. I see it as being flexible and allowing myself to relax a bit over the holiday and have some yummy things that I haven't had over the last couple of months.
    I'm planning to do similar maintenance breaks in the future when multiple "overindulgence" events coincide and when I reach big milestones, so that I don't get diet fatigue. Birthdays and holidays will still happen once I reach my goal weight, so I should get used to allowing myself to enjoy them.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    I totally agree with you @Lounmoun. I eat a healthy diet that I love and I'm already a healthy weight so it's not something I needed to ever go all out on. Sometimes I just have an extra meal or a meal out that is still healthy but probably more salty and oily than I'd make it at home.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Interesting I didn't notice the connotation and all the misleading logic under the concept of cheat meals.

Athletes have very restrictive diets according to their life goals, Imo they can have the right to call something a cheat meal with the ironic sense, that unusually eaten food is actually more a hard earned reward.