Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie reduction and macro nutrient variations, plus exercise cannot stop my fat gain

Replies

• gmstevens37
    gmstevens37 Posts: 30 Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked? That will wreak havoc on your weight if it's over/under active.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    zrad1 wrote: »
    I have been using a highly accurate and expensive professional grade kitchen scale. There is nothing I have not overlooked regarding the accuracy of calories consumed. I know of CICO and have read about the twinkie diet etc.. , that is not working for me if I exercise. If I do not exercise, the weight starts to come off, but for some reason if I exercise, my weight goes up and I do not mean water weight, actual fat. So frustrating and puzzling!!!

@zrad1 Working out should increase your appetite.

Effects of exercise on appetite are individually variant and tend to be intensity/modality dependent too. I don't think it's at all accurate to state that it should increase appetite.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I have been using a highly accurate and expensive professional grade kitchen scale. There is nothing I have not overlooked regarding the accuracy of calories consumed. I know of CICO and have read about the twinkie diet etc.. , that is not working for me if I exercise. If I do not exercise, the weight starts to come off, but for some reason if I exercise, my weight goes up and I do not mean water weight, actual fat. So frustrating and puzzling!!!

Effects of exercise on appetite are individually variant and tend to be intensity/modality dependent too. I don't think it's at all accurate to state that it should increase appetite.

https://caloriesecrets.net/does-exercise-increase-the-appetite/
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Now that goal oriented approach isn't​ working, what about process oriented with a goal other than weight loss?
    Like....Forget about fat loss and focus on something healthy that does work?
  • SideSteel
    edited April 2017

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23835594

CONCLUSIONS:

High-intensity intermittent exercise suppresses subsequent ad-libitum energy intake in overweight inactive men. This format of exercise was found to be well tolerated in an overweight population.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0029840

Conclusions

In obese adolescent boys, HIE has a beneficial impact on 24-h energy balance, mainly due to the spontaneous decrease in energy intake during lunch and dinner following the exercise bout.

As I said it is dependent on modality/intensity. Additionally, it's important to recognize that studies tend to report on averages but when you dig into individual subjects (when that info is available) you may find substantially different results from person to person.

As such, I don't think it's correct to claim that exercise should increase appetite.

Please note: This is NOT me saying that exercise definitively decreases appetite. This is me saying that we have evidence that exercise decreases appetite in some subjects at some intensities and therefore it is false to make the blanket claim that exercise should increase appetite.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

CONCLUSIONS:

High-intensity intermittent exercise suppresses subsequent ad-libitum energy intake in overweight inactive men. This format of exercise was found to be well tolerated in an overweight population.

Conclusions

In obese adolescent boys, HIE has a beneficial impact on 24-h energy balance, mainly due to the spontaneous decrease in energy intake during lunch and dinner following the exercise bout.

As I said it is dependent on modality/intensity. Additionally, it's important to recognize that studies tend to report on averages but when you dig into individual subjects (when that info is available) you may find substantially different results from person to person.

As such, I don't think it's correct to claim that exercise should increase appetite.

Please note: This is NOT me saying that exercise definitively decreases appetite. This is me saying that we have evidence that exercise decreases appetite in some subjects at some intensities and therefore it is false to make the blanket claim that exercise should increase appetite.

That is similar to the link that I posted so I learned something new tonight. After digging in health related research for the last 2.5 years for disease recovery it is clear people can respond very different to seemingly similar stimulus. Thanks.
  • SideSteel

CONCLUSIONS:

Conclusions

That is similar to the link that I posted so I learned something new tonight. After digging in health related research for the last 2.5 years for disease recovery it is clear people can respond very different to seemingly similar stimulus. Thanks.

Thanks.

Just for what it's worth, I TEND to find that low intensity exercise decreases appetite for me and high intensity exercise increases it.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member

How do you know you are gaining fat? If you are exercising, you could well be building muscle. Also, there has never been shown to be any advantage in a metabolic ward study in terms of energy expenditure or fat loss to a ketogenic diet ever, going all the way back to the 1970s. The key is to find something sustainable that you can keep for the rest of your life. It is also important to take breaks from your diet as needed, and eating maintenance calories for at least 2 weeks, preferably after dieting for about 8 weeks.

If you want, you could include a higher carb, calorie day every week to help restore Leptin levels a bit, but the benefits to this aren't as set in stone as some would have you believe.

It may also be the case that you are unfortunately a metabolic snowflake, and your body adapts very efficiently to being in a deficit. If that is the case, I would recommend you see a doctor if you do indeed suspect that you have a metabolic condition (but make sure they are credible and won't put you on a 24 hour juice fast or some crazy crap like that).
  • valcherrin
    valcherrin Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2017
    I did not read all the responses so I apologize if I mention something already stated. I personally have had challenges with zero results over the years. Not to the extreme as you but I will tell you a big eye-opener for me was STRESS and FOOD SENSITIVITIES. You may be feeding your body foods it doesn't like and therefore have constant inflammation. Along with stress and cortisol you will never lose. Either you can get tested at the doctor OR I did all my testing at Lifetime Fitness. Still working on changing my habits so no real results yet but I just found out a few weeks ago that I shouldn't eat eggs, gluten or nuts. These were things I ate daily.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member

How do you know you are gaining fat? If you are exercising, you could well be building muscle.

With low test and mostly cardio I highly doubt this is the case
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Op - are you using a food scale???
  • inertiastrength
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes he is but he didn't open his diary or mention whether he was eating back exercise calories. We have a case of either
    Metabolic disorder
    Intermittent logging or
    Eating back ridiculous burns
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    fascha wrote: »
    Yes he is but he didn't open his diary or mention whether he was eating back exercise calories. We have a case of either
    Metabolic disorder
    Intermittent logging or

Since he stated that this weight gain only happens when he exercises I would go with your third option.

No one can help him if he doesn't share any more information.
  • inertiastrength
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    Metabolic disorder
    Intermittent logging or

No one can help him if he doesn't share any more information.

Anytime someone asks without an open diary, I immediately suspect the last 2 but giving him the benefit of the doubt... for now lol

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2017
    @zrad1
    In as few words as possible what does health and wellness mean to you?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Someone who is more tech savvy please enlighten me. I see this a lot on the forums, someone like the OP has a first visit date, in this case of November 2015, then out of the blue has a post like this. There will be three or four comments, then POOF, gone. I have seen this at least a hundred times, my question is, can someone who knows how manipulate that kind of thing? Not saying that is the case with the OP, but just in general. Is that the work of really good trolls? I am old and can barely turn on a computer, so I don't know.