thoughts on foot cutoff after 7 PM?

Options
EDIT: ugh. I meant "food cutoff after 7 PM. I already know I'm going to get teased about the typo "foot cutoff." It is a rather amusing typo, after all!

My brother has had a lot of success eating as he pleases until 7 PM, when he restricts food for the rest of the day.

I _do not_ intend to copy the tactic. I calorie count and watch what I eat all day, but I've had some success in the last week by not eating anything after 7 PM. I get in my last meal before or around the 7 PM. I've found that building on this habit has completely eliminated late night snacking (when temptation to eat bad food crept in).

I'm also sleeping way better lately and *staying* asleep throughout the night.

Has anyone else tried this strategy? How is it working for you? If you don't restrict food after 7 PM, does this sound like something you want to try? Or is the late night eating not really a problem for you?

I'm just asking if others are trying this strategy. I'm sharing that it is working very well for me. If you don't agree, that's fine. But let's please be respectful and supportive if you want to post here. I've seen a lot of posts "go nuclear" lately.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. If it helps you keep within your calorie goal for the day, then go for it.

Also in because of foot cutoff ^
  • Nease269
    Nease269 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So sorry, but I am glad there is a typo in your topic. :bigsmile:
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Ah, is THIS what I should have been doing all this time? How much can I expect to lose? What if I do both feet?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This tactic can only last one day. Two, tops.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would starve to death. I eat 2/3 of my food after 7pm (I get up at 4:30 am to put this in context). I eat 1/2 my food within an hour of bed. It's a measure of control for me. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight control. I prefer to sleep with a full stomach, it's a preference.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My brother has had a lot of success eating as he pleases until 7 PM, when he restricts food for the rest of the day.

I _do not_ intend to copy the tactic. I calorie count and watch what I eat all day, but I've had some success in the last week by not eating anything after 7 PM. I get in my last meal before or around the 7 PM. I've found that building on this habit has completely eliminated late night snacking (when temptation to eat bad food crept in).

I'm also sleeping way better lately and *staying* asleep throughout the night.

Has anyone else tried this strategy? How is it working for you? If you don't restrict food after 7 PM, does this sound like something you want to try? Or is the late night eating not really a problem for you?

I'm just asking if others are trying this strategy. I'm sharing that it is working very well for me. If you don't agree, that's fine. But let's please be respectful and supportive if you want to post here. I've seen a lot of posts "go nuclear" lately.

Because I wake up at 5:30am, I go to bed early which means I cannot eat late either. I try not to eat past 6:30pm. For me, even if I stay below my calorie count I will gain weight when I eat late. Probably because I'm not exercising, I will take some responsibility in that. But thats just what works for me.
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    I eat when i please, i never had a problem with late night eating but i have been known to eat dinner at 9pm. Your body does not care and i think its more psychological than anything. Its kinda like a placebo affect. Just know that that was my opinion i hav no clinical evidence to support my theory :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    physically, it will not affect your weight loss or make you fat to eat after 7pm. However, if you drink after midnight you might become a gremlin!

Psychologically, it helps some people. Some people sleep better. Some people do better using "eating windows" based on time.

Whatever.
    Me personally - I eat the MAJORITY of my calories before bed.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Epic thread title batman
  • wfp76
    wfp76 Posts: 26
    Options
    I would not cut off foot, regaurdless of the time.
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cutting off your foot will probably drop you about ten pounds but it's not a good long term strategy.

I used to do a similar rule; I found the benefit was that it encouraged me to plan better for dinner and not to snack. However, I don't see any need for such a guideline now that I'm doing what actually works ie counting calories in everything eaten and keeping under what MFP gives as a target.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Best typo of the day, dude.
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For me, it's midnight. But where I live, people don't arrive home from work until around 7, and because tea time is observed, dinner is small and usually after 9 PM. I used to have a midnight cutoff rule, and I could really use starting that back up, just because it cut out late-night snacking. It also accounts for the fact that I work at a bar and some of my dinners are very, very late at night.

I guess my point is as long as you realize it's not even remotely biological, it's something that works well for a lot of people depending on their lifestyle.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. Also in because of foot cutoff ^

lol, yup, I came in expecting a very different post.

I have a delayed schedule & often haven't even left the office yet at 7 pm, so this wouldn't work for me, haha.

Late night snacking isn't a big deal for me but dinner is usually my biggest meal so it's not much of an issue. A couple tricks people have found helpful is: limiting snacking to health food (carrots, celery, an apple). If you find you're hungry for some cheese and crackers but not very hungry for a carrot -- you're not actually hungry. Or, you could just schedule those snacks into your meal plan for the day, and then you don't have to worry about going over your daily allotment.
  • fluffymaggie3
    fluffymaggie3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My sister-in law is a trainer. She has a degree in nutrition as well. She has been helping make changes to get my health back on tract. He advice to me was do not eat after 7pm. Also she suggested no carbs past 3pm. Now all of this is easier said than done !! I am battling sugar addiction, and that is what I want to concur first !! Keep me posted as to your success !!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I have found it a great way to lose 5-10 pounds before a big weigh in! Cardio kind of sucks now though.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am for work. I'll have a shreddies in the morning and am usually not hungry till 4pm when I have a small meal. ( lunch I guess? )

My boyfriend gets home after 8 and we can have dinner any time between 9pm and 11:30pm.

I'm still losing despite usually have my daily sweet after 7pm also. Last night I had a butterscotch Angel Delight at about 10pm. Mmmmm.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Limb removal time is irrelevant to weight loss. The loss of the limb will decrease overall weight no matter what time of the day or night you remove it.

However, it is a bit drastic.

As far as food...I haven't seen any indication that food timing makes any difference in weight loss. Not in myself or those on my friends list.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    hacksaw.gif
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    This tactic can only last one day. Two, tops.

hahaha