That AHA moment: What made you start?

Options

Replies

• hneagle1
    hneagle1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1.What was the turning point for you?
    Honestly, I was very tired of being tired. I had very little energy when I started my journey. I was tired of never being able to run or eat healthy. I had tried diets in the past and was very disappointed in the results. I made a commitment to be a little better each day and add small incremental steps to the process.

2. When did you start this journey?
    I started really focusing on my diet and fitness in April of 2016. I had a few minor bumps during the holiday season, but starting to get more focused.

4. Where are you now?
    I'm so much happier now! I love life. Within the past six months, I have gotten more intense with running. I'm doing my first half marathon this Saturday and the plan is to do a full marathon in October. Also, I have made it my goal to complete a Ironman competition before I turn 30. In terms of weight loss, I'm down around 45 pounds. But, the weight does not matter as much as the increased energy or the sense of purpose in my fitness journey. I eventually want to become a personal trainer so I'm using this time to practice and experiment on myself before I ever take on clients.

4. What keeps you going?
    Honestly, my faith keeps me going. I believe I was given this body to achieve greatness. I also believe that inspiring others is my calling and my fitness journey has allowed me to give back to others. Also, I keep burning and living healthy to have a vibrant and active lifestyle. It's weird how your entire prospective on health and fitness changes as you get into the year or more mark!
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1.What was the turning point for you? It's ok if it was a series of events
    There were a few things that led up to my turning point. I have always been obese but always very active so even though I needed to lose weight, it was also not stopping me from things in life. As I continued to gain things that I enjoyed like hiking became less enjoyable and more of a chore. Lingerie wasn't as fun to wear. Things that I always wanted to do, I was now past the weight limit (sky diving, zip lining, kayaking, etc). Things I used to enjoy, I now couldnt do (got kicked off a few roller coasters, so embarrassing). These things made me start considering my weight as a problem.

It wasn't until I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease that I really hit my turning point. I was diagnosed in November when I had a lot of stomach pains and I was always nauseous. Doctor said I just had to deal with the pains until I lose the weight. That's when I became serious about weight loss.

1/1/17 super cliche but I started on New Years Day

3. Where are you now?
    I am down 53lbs as of right now.

4. What keeps you going?
    The thought of being able to do the things that I was over the weight limit to do. My partner and I want to start a family soon and I can't be the mom I want to be in the body I have now. And the thought of fitting into a wedding dress I will like. I have always thought that I would look at my wedding pictures and hate them. I want to love my wedding pictures and fitting into a dress I will love will make me proud of my wedding pictures.
  • creepy_unicorn
    creepy_unicorn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been on off dieting for too long, but I've always tried to skimp on weight loss by doing fad diets. I was a fool :D

New years day 2017. I have always made a resolution to lose weight when coming into a new year, and I usually fail. But I finally seem to be in the right mindset after building myself up for years. I've learnt that if you want something you actually have to work for it!

5. Where are you now?
    20lbs down, 45lbs to go.

4. What keeps you going?
    I want to finally be happy with my mental health, and being overweight is the worst thing for my confidence. I feel healthier and happier generally now that my diet and exercise habits have changed. I don't understand how I was eating and hiding away for all those years, and would never ever go back to it!
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my aha moment was realizing I looked 7 months pregnant and being diagnosed prediabetic I started marc h3rd and am down 10 lbs I keep going bec I do not want insulin and want my clothes to look good again
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It was a picture that I took. I could barely see my facial features.
  • jldeange
    jldeange Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely hating the way I looked in photos. My fat pants weren't fitting anymore. I had no energy. The final a-ha moment was when I started trying on wedding dresses and even the plus size dresses in the store were too small on me. In that moment I knew I had to change something.

October 27, 2016 that's when I joined MFP and started logging everyday.

3. Where are you now?
    I'm almost down 30lbs. I've dropped a pant size. I've finished a few 5K's and an 8K. I don't need to take a nap everyday (although sometimes that would still be nice).

4. What keeps you going?
    Feeling better about myself. I hadn't even realized how much my self-confidence had dropped over the last few years. I completed an 8K! Before, I could barely walk from the parking lot to my desk without wheezing. Lastly, I ordered a beautiful wedding dress that I can't wait to wear on my wedding day, knowing that I'll be the healthiest I've ever been to start my lifelong journey with my partner.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Answer: When I felt my belly hanging over my belt, and watch the back rolls get bigger AND bigger.

Answer: Well over five years ago. It was a struggle between being fit the way society sees being fit, and being fit the way I am.
    For instance, after losing about 35 lbs, my pants went from a size 14, to a size 14. But they're more loose. And my shirt size went from XXXL to a medium, sometimes even a small. I'm just designed to be a BIG, FIT WOMAN.

4. Where are you now?
    Still about 10-20lbs over. I'm 167-169 now. Was about 195+. But my doctor wants to see where I'm at 150-155. She said that may be a good goal weight for me.

5. What keeps you going?
    My husband. He has been going through many physical ailments that have even had the doctors ban him from working. His current one is arthritis in his neck, which effects his shoulders. So he'll be laying in bed, will go to move and pain strikes him and he can't move. So here I come, hauling 240+ lbs of husband. I have to help his shoes on and help with shorts. Even have to go all th way to telling him he doesn't need to eat THAT right now.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    MichaelRow wrote: »
    My little girls. They are cute, funny, and so very smart.

*Sniffle*

Got something in my eye....
  • Kclee2903
    Kclee2903 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks being more open and finding support is how I can overcome my anxiety and improve my self opinion. So here goes being open!

I started noticing that I was "ok" being obese! I made jokes and ate what I wanted because I lost my desire to feel good about myself. I avoided mirrors and cameras. My husband and I have been having marital issues over the past year or so and I guess in a way I just gave up and settled for the misery. I blamed myself for being "huge".

I have been yo yo dieting since November 2016, but didn't get "serious" until March 16th.

4. Where are you now?

I am down almost 24 lbs and 1 pant size and hope to be down a couple more by September.

5. What keeps you going?

I am finally starting to feel "pretty" again and have really enjoyed the increase in energy. I just want this to continue and keep getting better. Side Note: We vacation at Disney frequently and I want to ride the rides without taking up the whole seat!!!!

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Sometime back in 2013 I bought a bra at Costco in the biggest standard size they stocked and it didn't fit... I was like a sausage coming out of it's casing when I looked in the mirror and even though I was 240lbs then, I was always "heavy but not out of control" in my mind... that day I was like got damn I'm fat. I literally picked up THAT DAY and started running, later found my way here, ate better... changed my plan a few times, started lifting and now it's years later I have a nice set of abs and I'm down 80lbs heheeh
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    1.What was the turning point for you? A five year old asked me at thanksgiving when the baby was coming. I was used to being asked that but something about an innocent 5 year old saying it made me realize "omg I really do look pregnant!!"

2. When did you start this journey? October 2016 is when I started exercising, December 2016 is when I started tracking calories

3. Where are you now? 25 pounds down! 60 more to go!

4. What keeps you going? How much better I feel and that my confidence is much higher than it used to be!
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I went bungee jumping in December 2014. I had reached my highest weight of 89 kgs then.The whole act was filmed and When I was being brought back to the ground, the guy helping me made a face. That was the MOST humiliating experience in my whole life but I rejoined this site in Feb 2015 and have lost 14 kgs and discovered a love for running!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!