Spicy Food: fact or myth

Options
So according to an article I read (cited at the bottom) capsaicin can raise your metabolism by up to 8%. Well, I love spicy anything. And if this is true, I will eat everything spicy. Haha not everything. But more than I eat of spicy foods now. But I know, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
So does anyone know of those claim is fact or myth?

Cite source:http://www.medicaldaily.com/weight-loss-foods-eat-spicy-help-you-achieve-your-weight-loss-goals-325200

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sure somebody is researching this and I'm sure there's inclusive evidence in both directions. But let's face it, if eating hot peppers was a sure-fire cure for losing weight, I think we'd probably know it by now. Who knows? Maybe it boosts your metabolism some for about 5 minutes, or maybe you have to drink a bottle of tabasco to see any noticable effect. And even if it does, what else does that much capsaicin do to your insides?

Unfortunately, there's pretty much only one thing we know for sure works.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am living proof that spicy food makes no appreciable difference in weight loss.

Same here LOL
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah if capsicum really *did* do that, doctors would be dispensing them to every overweight person.

One dieting thing about hot & spicy seasonings such as hot pepper...it is a low or no calorie (or fat) way to put flavor into foods. Seasoning can make *meh* foods taste good. And hot and spicy flavorings can be a smart way...just easy on the salt!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    replace the word spicy with ...sweet ...or savoury...Sounds rediculous right...why would spicy be any different. trust me i wish XD Love spicy
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think I saw something similar at one point, but from my understanding, it was mainly based on spicy things being appetite suppressants as well as making one hotter and sweating. I cannot imagine this making any difference whatsoever.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it helps metabolism, but I find that when I eat spicy foods I get physically uncomfortable after a while...sweating, hot, unable to taste the difference between flavors, etc. I eat it very sparingly ( like a mild spice in the background, not so much in the forefront), and find that I eat less amounts of foods that are hotter intensity.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There was some studies done on it, the difference was negligible but enough for the woo sellers to start making chilli tablets for weight loss B)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It has a nominal impact on metabolism, but I think 8% would be a huge stretch. I live in NM and all of our food is fire breathing dragon spicy...lots of overweight people here.

ETA: if you enjoy spicy food then go for it...I personally love spicy, hotter the better...just don't expect miracles, and I wouldn't do it personally if I didn't like it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My son practically drinks hot sauce. But it is his calorie deficit and gym time that keep his weight in check not the sauce.

As some one mentioned above - seasonings can be a great way to make "healthy" food taste good. Never underestimate the value of some good seasoning.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I often chop up peppers and add them to meals because I love the taste of them. I usually do this to my lunch, which is leftovers from the night before. It seems to me as if I feel fuller for longer after I eat a meal with peppers in it, but I have no way of knowing if this is due to the peppers themselves or just the power of suggestion. Hot sauce doesn't seem to have the same impact as the raw peppers.

It doesn't really matter to me if it's real because I love spicy food and I would be doing this even if it was proven to have no impact on my appetite.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    You can out-eat an 8% metabolic advantage pretty easily.

That would be only an extra 120 calories a day for me. FML.

Not that I think it's true, but I don't think I could eat much spicier food. What about cinnamon? That's another miracle food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Minor effect. Just like when they say eating celery creates negative calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of health effects of eating spicy foods but in order to see them, they have to be a regular part of your diet. Studies have shown a slight elevation of metabolism due to increase in body temperature, but any weight loss associated with peppers might be because you eat spicy foods more slowly and thus feel full faster so you eat less. Hot peppers are also associated with reduction of some cancers, better digestion because they kill bad bacteria, better blood circulation and they are known, natural blood thinners.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    What about the fact that you drink lots of water when you eat spicy food?! :smile:
    Although, some people like beer with spicy food which would negate any calories burn.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It is true. But, it's important to remember though that the increase is temporary. So you won't see any overall 8% increase in metabolism.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    What about the fact that you drink lots of water when you eat spicy food?! :smile:
    Although, some people like beer with spicy food which would negate any calories burn.

Drinking lots of water won't raise your metabolism though . . .
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You can out-eat an 8% metabolic advantage pretty easily.

That would be only an extra 120 calories a day for me. FML.

Not that I think it's true, but I don't think I could eat much spicier food. What about cinnamon? That's another miracle food.

Again....if thay were true doctors would be handing out cinnamon pills for overweight people.

There are no magic foods. Just food of different quality and components.