Spicy Food: fact or myth

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    You can out-eat an 8% metabolic advantage pretty easily.

That would be only an extra 120 calories a day for me. FML.

Not that I think it's true, but I don't think I could eat much spicier food. What about cinnamon? That's another miracle food.

Again....if thay were true doctors would be handing out cinnamon pills for overweight people.

There are no magic foods. Just food of different quality and components.

Yeah. I was joking.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    What about the fact that you drink lots of water when you eat spicy food?! :smile:
    Although, some people like beer with spicy food which would negate any calories burn.

Drinking lots of water won't raise your metabolism though . . .

Actually....it does https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14671205 :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about the fact that you drink lots of water when you eat spicy food?! :smile:
    Although, some people like beer with spicy food which would negate any calories burn.

I was going to mention this. My husband makes a fire hot chili, I drink sooo much water while eating it that i get full up after only eating half. Whereas if the chili wasn't in there I'd be able to eat the whole lot!

So my n=1 is spicy dishes make me guzzle water, which in turn makes me eat less which then creates a larger deficit :tongue:
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am living proof that spicy food makes no appreciable difference in weight loss.

Same here. Hot sauce/super hot peppers are like one of my four food groups. I ought to be skinny by now!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If it's really REALLY hot then it might slow down scarfing or reduce the qty you can eat :)
    I knew a BBQ joint that had such an ultimate hot sauce, you applied it with a toothpick.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I was going to mention this. My husband makes a fire hot chili, I drink sooo much water while eating it that i get full up after only eating half. Whereas if the chili wasn't in there I'd be able to eat the whole lot!

So my n=1 is spicy dishes make me guzzle water, which in turn makes me eat less which then creates a larger deficit :tongue:

That's what I was getting at.
    Unless you drink beer :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

That's what I was getting at.
    Unless you drink beer :)

Yes true. Beer or any alcohol is so NOT thirst quenching for me, it would be torturous trying to quell the burn with booze.

My health food store has a vast variety of capsaicin capsules in the "weight loss" section, I call BS on those. I can just picture people popping them all day long like lollies...
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Myth, but darn is spicy food tasty!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So according to an article I read (cited at the bottom) capsaicin can raise your metabolism by up to 8%. Well, I love spicy anything. And if this is true, I will eat everything spicy. Haha not everything. But more than I eat of spicy foods now. But I know, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
    So does anyone know of those claim is fact or myth?

Cite source:http://www.medicaldaily.com/weight-loss-foods-eat-spicy-help-you-achieve-your-weight-loss-goals-325200

It says it will temporarily raise metabolism 8%. I usually feel the effects of spicy food for a couple of minutes, but let's get dramatic and say it lasts for an hour. My maintenance is 1800 cals, or 75 cals per hour. 8% of 75 is 6. So I would burn 6 extra calories. Even if I ate spicy food every hour I'm awake, that would be an extra 6 x 17 or 102 extra calories. Sorry :(.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

Intriguing, the aspect it was clear on was 40% of the calorie burn came from heating up the water after drinking.

So drinking ice water should give twice the burn. Maybe there is also a future for the cold shower, or shiver diet.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Sure it will. You burn extra calories everytime you have to run to the bathroom.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I don't notice a metabolism lift, but it does lift my mood! Temporary though.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You can out-eat an 8% metabolic advantage pretty easily.

That would be only an extra 120 calories a day for me. FML.

Not that I think it's true, but I don't think I could eat much spicier food. What about cinnamon? That's another miracle food.

Also it doesn't raise it for 24 hours to begin with, so we're looking at maybe 2-3 hours of 8% extra.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you were to consume pure capsaicin the calories in chillis/hot sauce/peppers would probably outweigh the thermogenic effects.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the responses, but realize that how capsaicin boosts metabolism is by irritating or stressing your body. That is why a person gets hot when they eat something really spicy. However, if you regularly eat spicy food, your body adapts. You can see that adaptation in the fact that when you first try a spicy food, you get hot and sweaty. However, if you then incorporate that same spicy food as a regular part of your diet, the effect lessens over time. Your body is very good at maintaining your metabolic rate where it is. Those slight boosts through things like hot peppers, are adapted to fairly rapidly, so that 8% would decrease to a point it has not effect.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

On a test with 14 people, they found a small impact when people drank 2 liters of water. That doesn't seem significant enough to note.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love spicy food!!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I literally put hot sauce on everything and eat jalapenos everyday. My TDEE is still only 1800.